AVS Forum banner
9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Vlad_M 
#1 ·
Another one who has an ARC issue, I have this hooked up to a new Samsung 46F6400 and both have Anynet turned on and tv speakers off.

My Directv feeds the soundbar HDMI in and the soundbar in turn feeds the tv's HDMI 2 (ARC) input.

I can get it to work but when powering down and then turning it back on it will never default to the "D-IN" like it's supposed to. I have to use the soundbars remote to choose the source again. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

For me I can work with it but trying to have just one remote that will control all 3 devices and have the input on the sounbar always set so my wife doesn't get frustrated with it is an issue.

I can get my Directv remote to operate both the tv and soundbar (volumewise anyway) so would be nice if I didn't have to tell her to use another remote to choose the source.

These are new HDMI high speed Redmere's cables from Monoprice, after initially setting it up with my older generic ones, thinking that might be the issue.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a bit lost here on the problem. You said the Directv is connected to the soundbar. Your input source for that is "HDMI", not "D.IN". Do you have other sources that are connected directly to the TV? When the soundbar is turned on, what does it default to for the input?

#3 ·
No other sources connected.

It defaults to D- in but I get no audio/video for it, I have to switch it over to HDMI on the soundbar.

I get TV ARC message on the soundbar but like I said nothing comes through until I have to cycle through to HDMI input.

I'm assuming TV ARC and D-IN is the same? Regardless, only HDMI works. Anynet is turned on for those inputs too.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot  /t/1481985/samsung-hw550-soundbar-arc-issue#post_23537676

No other sources connected.

It defaults to D- in but I get no audio/video for it, I have to switch it over to HDMI on the soundbar.

I get TV ARC message on the soundbar but like I said nothing comes through until I have to cycle through to HDMI input.

I'm assuming TV ARC and D-IN is the same? Regardless, only HDMI works. Anynet is turned on for those inputs too.

I don't know why you're expecting something to come through on anything other than the "HDMI" input. That's where you have your source device connected. For unknown reasons, the soundbar defaults to the D.IN/ARC.IN input. That's just the way Samsung designed it apparently. As suggested, you could connect the cable box to the TV instead of to the soundbar, but you won't get 5.1 audio that way. So you either put up with changing the input, or only getting stereo.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndthm  /t/1481985/samsung-hw550-soundbar-arc-issue#post_23537732

What you need to do is use hdmi cable from direct tv box to one of the hdmi inputs on your tv then use a hdmi cable from hdmi arc output on the tv to the hdmi out port on the HW-F550

Thank you! Problem solved! Not sure why the instructions call for the way I had it, which is not the desired result.

Now we can use one remote (Directv's) for all 3 devices.

Thanks again kind sir!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot  /t/1481985/samsung-hw550-soundbar-arc-issue#post_23538088

Thank you! Problem solved! Not sure why the instructions call for the way I had it, which is not the desired result.

Now we can use one remote (Directv's) for all 3 devices.

Thanks again kind sir!
Actually, problem not solved for most of us. Your soundbar might work well, but that is because your soundbar is not 5.1. For the rest of us with 5.1 (or 7.1) setups, Dolby Digital does not get passed through to the AVR from the TV, but instead PCM stereo. I do not understand why Samsung TVs do not pass DD through HDMI. It makes no sense. When I run HDMI to the TV from the box, then ARC to the AVR the option to pass DD is greyed out and only PCM is an option on the TV which causes all DD channels to use the Dolby Pro Logic II instead since it is only getting PCM 2.0.

The real problem here is with Samsung TVs. They send a message, probably during the HDMI handshake, that tricks the AVR into changing to the ARC audio input. It is very annoying that every time I turn on my TV and AVR it changes to ARC even though the AVR defaults to the last input used for about 10-15 seconds until it switches to the ARC input. Samsung needs to fix this with a firmware update allows DD passthrough using HDMI. I am not aware if other brands do this too.

#9 ·
For a TV to pass 5.1 either through ARC or other digital output it has to be capable of receiving and decoding a 5.1 signal. TVs inherently have no needs to decode 5.1 since they are only stereo devices. if the TV can't decode 5.1 then it identifies itself as a stereo device to the source. The source component then only sends a stereo signal. It is not that the TV is not passing the signal it is not getting the signal. For TVs to decode and get 5.1 then they need to cost more to include decoder circuitry. In a highly competitive TV market where many TV manufacturers are losing money it is one area they are cutting costs.

#11 ·
I'm currently battling with the same issue, my setup is:

-Roku 3 to HDMI IN on the HW550

-HW550 HDMI OUT (ARC) to HDMI 2 (ARC) on the Samsung 55F6400

Sound is good, however I am also frustrated by the fact that I have to use the soundbar remote just to change source to HDMI because it defaults to D.IN every time it is switched on.

I am thinking of trying the proposed setup (Roku 3 to HDMI 1 on the TV, HDMI 2 (ARC) to HDMI OUT on the HW550, but concerned I will lose out on the "surround" sound (as the soundbar will be getting stereo signal rather than the DD/DTS).

Am I correct in assuming the above? Will the sound output be inferior this way? In fact, if the soundbar is getting a stereo signal, then I may as well go back to the SoundShare (Bluetooth) wireless connection?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13  /t/1481985/samsung-hw550-soundbar-arc-issue#post_24611161

Actually, problem not solved for most of us. Your soundbar might work well, but that is because your soundbar is not 5.1. For the rest of us with 5.1 (or 7.1) setups, Dolby Digital does not get passed through to the AVR from the TV, but instead PCM stereo. I do not understand why Samsung TVs do not pass DD through HDMI. It makes no sense. When I run HDMI to the TV from the box, then ARC to the AVR the option to pass DD is greyed out and only PCM is an option on the TV which causes all DD channels to use the Dolby Pro Logic II instead since it is only getting PCM 2.0.

Is this definitive? I don't feel like taking the TV down and connecting all the cables around just to verify that the TV will not pass DD/DTS via ARC. :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.