Samsung HW-F450 - Default Source...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
I just recently purchased this soundbar. I have it connected to a new UN60F7500. I figured with both models being Samsung and both being part of their 2013 lineup, I would have zero issues. However, everytime I turn on the TV/soundbar together (I am using Anynet+), the source is D. IN when I want it to be HDMI. My one and only connection to the TV is an HDMI cord (newest standard). I have an HDMI going from a PS3 to the soudbar and an HDMI going from the soundbar to the TV. How can I have it default to HDMI so I do not have to switch sources everytime I turn it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you took a look at the master thread for this soundbar, you would see that is a common glitch. It seems to always default to D.IN. It would do it a lot less for me if I waited a few seconds before turning on the soundbar but that didn't always work.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

If you took a look at the master thread for this soundbar, you would see that is a common glitch. It seems to always default to D.IN. It would do it a lot less for me if I waited a few seconds before turning on the soundbar but that didn't always work.

Bah...couldn't find the master thread--thanks for the insight.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
The HW-E450 thread is on the 2nd page. It should basically be the same thing.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, found a fix for those interested.

PS3 --- HDMI cable ---> TV HDMI port
Soundbar --- HDMI cable ---> TV HDMI (ARC) port

So...no longer having video pass through the soundbar, but no big deal. It now defaults to TV ARC, which picks up sound immediately and does not require the use of two remotes. Also maintains the use of an HDMI instead of downgrading to a digital optical audio cable.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsprings View Post

Also maintains the use of an HDMI instead of downgrading to a digital optical audio cable.

Just FYI. The audio output from a TV will be exactly the same whether using optical or ARC. No downgrade.
Jsprings likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Just FYI. The audio output from a TV will be exactly the same whether using optical or ARC. No downgrade.

Okay--thought I read that HDMI can carry 5.1 sound whereas digital optical audio can only carry 2.1?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsprings View Post

Okay--thought I read that HDMI can carry 5.1 sound whereas digital optical audio can only carry 2.1?

Optical can transport compressed 5.1 just like HDMI. The difference comes into play with uncompressed audio. Optical only has enough bandwidth for 2 channels of PCM. TVs only output compressed 5.1 or 2 ch. PCM, therefore, no difference with TV audio output. Now blu-ray is another story altogether.smile.gif
Jsprings likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Optical can transport compressed 5.1 just like HDMI. The difference comes into play with uncompressed audio. Optical only has enough bandwidth for 2 channels of PCM. TVs only output compressed 5.1 or 2 ch. PCM, therefore, no difference with TV audio output. Now blu-ray is another story altogether.smile.gif

Ah, okay. Thanks so much for the explanation! So in other words, I DO have to utilize video pass through in order to benefit from uncompressed audio at 5.1. But does it really matter if HW-F450 is a 2.1 channel system? Are we really just speaking in terms of compressed 2.1 vs. uncompressed 2.1?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Since soundbars apply DSP to the signals they receive, you've asked the $64K question. smile.gif My suggestion is try it for yourself to see what differences (if any) you hear. Using the connection you have now, put a BD that has plenty of sound effects in your PS3 and play several passages. Then change your connection so the PS3 connects directly to the soundbar, and set the PS3 to do the decoding. Listen to the same passages.
Jsprings likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I will try it for sure. I have a sneaking suspicion that the difference won't be noticeable enough to matter as I've already listened to sound in both setups since I started out with using pass through. You are by far one of the most helpful on the forum. I believe you helped me around the same time last year as well!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw F450 2 1 Channel 280 Watt Soundbar
Gear in this thread - F450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page