Soundbar that handles dialogue the best? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I've always had a problem with hearing movie dialogue on soundbars... you would have to crank up the volume to hear dialogue, and crank it back down if a loud action scene occurs. What are people's opinions on which soundbar handles movie dialogue well?

I've heard the Atlantic Technology H-PAS Powerbar 235 does it well (at least according to Amazon reviews and other reviews)... Of course this thing is pricey at $800, but may be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
I'd be really interested in hearing the answer to this as well!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM
IRJ

Liked: 11
Hmmm no answers yet.
It's a very serious question IMHO. Even with good separate speakers I often find the quality of speech is missing so in a soundbar I would think the question is even more urgent..

Ian
post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM

You have to find a soundbar with a dedicated center channel. The center channel is where 80% of the dialogue will come from. A soundbar that's reasonably priced with that would be the Sonos Playbar. It's $699 and has 9 speakers, (3 for LEFT, 3 for CENTER, and 3 for RIGHT.)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvitex View Post

You have to find a soundbar with a dedicated center channel. The center channel is where 80% of the dialogue will come from. A soundbar that's reasonably priced with that would be the Sonos Playbar. It's $699 and has 9 speakers, (3 for LEFT, 3 for CENTER, and 3 for RIGHT.)

I've heard there are lip sync issues with the Playbar. Have you seen this? I was ready to buy but was persuaded to wait and see if that gets addressed.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 05:11 AM

There is a small delay if you take a Sonos Connect:AMP and power 2 speakers for rear's. If you JUST have the Sonos soundbar hooked up to the TV there is ZERO delay in the lips. If you have a local Best Buy (Magnolia department) they will have a Sonos Playbar on display. Go see for yourself and listen to the Playbar with the subwoofer and w/o the subwoofer. It's a fantastic setup.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM

I just picked up a Sony HT CT-660. Cranked up voices, put on DRC and night mode - still not a great solution. What is everyone living in apartments using???
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Another soundbar I am considering that seems to get good reviews for dialogue clarity is the Zvox 555. The reviews, however, have been mixed on overall sound quality with some lavishing praise on it while others (eg: CNET) saying it's not so great. May just pick one up and try it out... we'll see.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
Have you looked at the Klipsch SB3? This thing is getting rave reviews. IMO it seems like the best option at the $699 price point. Four 3.5" drivers should be enough for decent midrange, and a really nice 10" sub that puts other soundbar subs to shame. Reviews say the dialogue is excellent.
beezar likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 AM

@Beezar - I've sold that Zvox soundbar a lot and it's not that bad for the price point. It has a good amount of customization from the equalization stand point. It puts out some great sound for $400.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
BIC America FH-56 BAR Surround Sound Bar. I pesonally haven't heard this sound bar, but I own a full 7.0 setup from this company with the same horn loaded tweeters and I have to say dialog is exceptional compared to other speakers I've heard. This is a passive sound bar which means you use a receiver to connect to it also its a 5.1 channel bar. Check out acousticsounddesign.com under Acoustech they have the sound bar with the PL-200 subwoofer listed for $489. I'm guessing they will sell that combo for about $400 shipped to your house.

Shawn
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Atlantic Technology H Pas Powerbar 235 Powered Home Theater Soundbar , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page