Sony HT-ST7 high-end soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder if this implements surround-sound imaging similar to the Yamaha YSP series?
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/08/sony-ht-st7-soundbar/#continued

--Dean L. Surkin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 26
I suppose Sony has done their marketing homework on this soundbar, but $1299.00? Yikes!
post #3 of 43 Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I love Sony soundbars, but I wouldn't buy that. That thing is way too expensive. What the fook was Sony thinking?
post #4 of 43 Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Looks interesting. Wonder if the sound justifies the price or they just priced it high to make it seem better?

I should add, I'm excited to see more and more offerings. Companies are bound to make better and better soundbars if the competition stays high.
LBJ2 likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I just can't justify the expense of a product like that when I can get their second-best soundbar that probably doesn't sound much worse for 1/3 the price or a full Sony 7.1 setup with A/V receiver and speakers.
post #6 of 43 Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

HomeTheater.com will have a review of the new soundbar up soon.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
I'm considering it because I just bought a Sony tv on Amazon that qualifies it for $300 off. I've had the full speaker system before, but I'm kind of longing for something more simple this time. Sick of wires and complicated menus.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Just go for the HT-CT660. You could get it for next to nothing since you already have a $300 Amazon discount/credit.
Howard Lin likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Have one one the way...

Let's see if it's worth the hype.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Have one one the way...

Let's see if it's worth the hype.

Don't know what type of integrated remotes you use, but curious if there is discrete hdmi input selection capability at all, and if it works with any third party control systems.

I use Roomie, and tried the Sony 660, which does have discrete inputs, but none of the controls would work with the Roomie device, not could I teach it via an iTach IR controller. I basically need discrete input, volume, mute ,power, and possibly sound mode for daily use in the kitchen...

Thanks
post #11 of 43 Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Don't know what type of integrated remotes you use, but curious if there is discrete hdmi input selection capability at all, and if it works with any third party control systems.

I use Roomie, and tried the Sony 660, which does have discrete inputs, but none of the controls would work with the Roomie device, not could I teach it via an iTach IR controller. I basically need discrete input, volume, mute ,power, and possibly sound mode for daily use in the kitchen...

Thanks

Mine just arrived today.

I'll report soon.

However I just use my tv remote as I use ARC for all sources.
post #12 of 43 Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I received and set up my new HTST7 a few days back. I've had a chance to play with most of the features and listen to various content. First impressions:

• Easy to set up ( typical of most sound bar systems)
  • ARC setup works as expected--no issues. My TV remote works just fine for on/off volume etc.
  • Very Unique Remote has received "high design" treatment ( not so sure everyone will find the form-factor useful. Until Logitech includes HTST7 in their Remote database I'll have to use the Sony remote to change Receiver settings )
  • Pretty impressed with how the music sounds ( coming from a sound bar speaker)
  • Bluetooth setup with my iPhone/iTunes was very easy and worked the first time
  • The speaker bar itself is large. I expect this will cover up TV IR sensors on most table top setups. ( IR blaster is included)
  • TV/Blu-ray movies sounds like it's coming from much larger speakers ( doesn't have that sound bar "compressed sound" effect).

Surround sound effect: I am still experimenting with this. Because the shape of the room/furniture etc. has a lot to do with hearing surround sound effects from a sound bar speaker, I want to try setting this speaker bar in a few different rooms. For surround sound effect I am testing with Blu-ray "The Dark Knight" Chapter 20, 1:15:12 - 01:22:25, "Master and Commander" Chapter 4, 08:45 - 11:53, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Chapter 17, 1:50:00 - 1:59:58, "The Matrix" Chapter 30, 1:45:18 - 1:51:29.

LB
post #13 of 43 Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I received and set up my new HTST7 a few days back. I've had a chance to play with most of the features and listen to various content. First impressions:

[*] Easy to set up ( typical of most sound bar systems)
[*] ARC setup works as expected--no issues. My TV remote works just fine for on/off volume etc.
[*] Remote has received "high design" treatment ( not so sure everyone will find this very different form-factor useful. Until Logitech includes HTST7 in their Remote database I'll have to use the Sony remote to change Receiver settings )
[*] Pretty impressed with how the music sounds ( coming from a sound bar speaker)
[*] Bluetooth setup with my iPhone/iTunes was very easy and worked the first time
[*] The speaker bar itself is large. I expect this will cover up TV IR sensors on most table top setups. ( IR blaster is included)
[*] TV/Blu-ray movies sounds like it's coming from much larger speakers ( doesn't have that sound bar "compressed sound" effect).
[*][/LIST]

Surround sound effect: I am still experimenting with this. Because the shape of the room/furniture etc. has a lot to do with hearing surround sound effects from a sound bar speaker, I want to try setting this speaker bar in a few different rooms. For surround sound effect I am testing with Blu-ray "The Dark Knight" Chapter 20, 1:15:12 - 01:22:25, "Master and Commander" Chapter 4, 08:45 - 11:53, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Chapter 17, 1:50:00 - 1:59:58, "The Matrix" Chapter 30, 1:45:18 - 1:51:29.

Does the remote have discrete inputs selection button, or must you cycle through? Toggle Power, or separate power on/off?

thanks
fireo likes this.
post #14 of 43 Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

thrang:

Remote Commander : RM-ANU164. Most are toggle/cycle through.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/HT-ST7/Manual/368154

LB
post #15 of 43 Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 PM

I'm curios to hear what you think of the soundbar. I too prefer a simpler speaker setup.
post #16 of 43 Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi6_ View Post

I'm curios to hear what you think of the soundbar. I too prefer a simpler speaker setup.

mi6_ ( Are you Mr. Bond? ) smile.gif

I'm still experimenting but I have listened to all kinds of content and tried multiple settings and configurations. I'v e also had a chance to compare directly to my older Sony HT-CT550W sound bar and a Yamaha YHT-S501 sound bar. Sound wise here is my opinion so far :

HT-ST7:
  • Music sounds very good on this sound bar ( which IMO is unusual for a sound bar)
  • Surround sound effect is okay. ( I believe my older Sony HT-CT550W 2.1 sound bar can throw the sound effects further creating a wider sound stage than the HT-ST7 7.1 configuration does)
  • Dialogue can be truly optimized with the Voice mode settings ( this is a great feature for people that need/want enhanced dialogue)

Overall, I think the HT-ST 7.1 sound bar is a very capable, highly engineered/designed device with premium materials. You can clearly see, touch and feel the premium priced components. However, I am not yet sure if I can hear sound enhancements that justify the current premium price. I am curious to read what the professional reviewers have to say about this device when tested in a controlled environment. I know CNET is reviewing the HT-ST7 and is due to post their review any day now.

LB
post #17 of 43 Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 AM

Im looking to buy this amazing soundbar from sony but can anyone who owns it look at the back and see if it supports 220V as i am in Kuwait. Thanks in advance for your help smile.gif
post #18 of 43 Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireo View Post

Im looking to buy this amazing soundbar from sony but can anyone who owns it look at the back and see if it supports 220V as i am in Kuwait. Thanks in advance for your help smile.gif

120V 60hz 50w

LB
post #19 of 43 Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thrang:

Remote Commander : RM-ANU164. Most are toggle/cycle through.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/HT-ST7/Manual/368154

Bummer - scratch this off the list.

Thanks....
post #20 of 43 Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

120V 60hz 50w
Thank you smile.gif
post #21 of 43 Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Bringing this thread up again.

I'm currently connecting this soundbar to a KDL65W850A via ARC. 

Does this mean that all HDMI inputs on the TV are now using surround sound or do I have to plug them into the soundbar's HDMI inputs?

I also can't tell on the soundbar whether it's using SS or not. I'm reading the manual at the moment but I can't see it anywhere.

post #22 of 43 Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by greathunder View Post

Bringing this thread up again.

I'm currently connecting this soundbar to a KDL65W850A via ARC. 

Does this mean that all HDMI inputs on the TV are now using surround sound or do I have to plug them into the soundbar's HDMI inputs?

I also can't tell on the soundbar whether it's using SS or not. I'm reading the manual at the moment but I can't see it anywhere.

With soundbars, especially those with no rear speakers, I would expect simulated surround sound. When utilizing ARC, most TV's output 2 channel audio. You didn't list your TV model so we have no way of knowing whether your TV is the exception or the norm. That said, your soundbar has 3 HDMI inputs so I would connect your sources to the soundbar first for optimal sound and then output the soundbar to the TV via HDMI for video.
773AV likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #23 of 43 Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

With soundbars, especially those with no rear speakers, I would expect simulated surround sound. When utilizing ARC, most TV's output 2 channel audio. You didn't list your TV model so we have no way of knowing whether your TV is the exception or the norm. That said, your soundbar has 3 HDMI inputs so I would connect your sources to the soundbar first for optimal sound and then output the soundbar to the TV via HDMI for video.

Thank you I'll probably connect it straight to the sound bar. As stated earlier I'm connecting it to a SONY KDL65W850A.

post #24 of 43 Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by greathunder View Post

Thank you I'll probably connect it straight to the sound bar. As stated earlier I'm connecting it to a SONY KDL65W850A.

My apologies for missing that. It's been a long week. Either way, I would definitely connect the sources directly to the soundbar whenever possible.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #25 of 43 Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM

I've had the ST7 set up with my LG 55LM8600 for a few weeks now. I've connect the STB via HDMI to the TV and Optical to the ST7. Thoughts.

• The soundbar has very clean voice reproduction at all sound levels. As mentioned earlier, Sony has a direct button to increase this range.
  • Set up was a breeze
  • The sub sounds directional no matter where i place it. Maybe a cuttoff frequency issue.
  • Great simple display and dimable.
  • Useless sound modes aside from Movie and Music. Std and music are about the same and Football does nothing to give stadium sound.

My issue has been with the sound separation. I have not felt like it is simulating 5.1 or 7.1 as advertised. The LM8600 outputs LPCM which is supposed to be able to carry multiple channels. There is no TV setting to change the optical output to Dolby. When the SB is connected to STB directly, it does show the Dolby signal.

I wonder if I am getting multi ch on LPCM or if it's just dropping to stereo. ps. I'm using my TV as the 'input switch' so I can get pic profiles for each input.
post #26 of 43 Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM

Liked: 15
just picked this up - love it so far. great sound, great music playback especially. couple questions:

1. when i stream music to it from my iphone via bluetooth link, my tv screen goes black. should there be any kind of graphical interface up on the tv for the bluetooth to iphone music link? or no?

2. has logitech added this to their harmony database fully yet? i added it to my ultimate remote, but it isnt working with the soundbar yet.

3. has anyone figured out a way to confirm if the soundbar is properly playing hd codecs from sources like a PS4, and dolby digital from a tivo or similar device? i have the output units set up to do that, but it would be nice to have some kind of on screen graphic ( or SOMETHING) showing the soundbar is processing/playing the audio codec in the intended format.

thanks all for your help!
post #27 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM

I just purchased one from my local ABC warehouse for 799.99 brand new. I had to settle for a sound bar because my fiancee does not like the look of speakers in our family room. I was not going to purchase this for full price and I liked the sound of this more than the bose cinemate. I love it thus far.
post #28 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforigno View Post

I just purchased one from my local ABC warehouse for 799.99 brand new. I had to settle for a sound bar because my fiancee does not like the look of speakers in our family room. I was not going to purchase this for full price and I liked the sound of this more than the bose cinemate. I love it thus far.

great deal there...curious if you're able to answer any of the questions i posed above.
post #29 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM

ugghh...bit upset right now. was watching blacklist in hd tonight on my nbc affiliate...TONS of cracking from the soundbqr during parts, specifically when cars were screeching on the road during a chase.

havent had this issue during other programs though. it was at volume level 30 in movie mode.

anyone else have this issue with this soundbar? bit worried about this considering its a thousand dollar soundbar...
post #30 of 43 Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't know how loud 30 is or if it was a problem with NBC but there is only so much 2.5" speakers can do if trying to play relatively loud. Since then have you heard it on any other channel? Do you have a way to do a frequency test go see if it only happens with higher sounds? I know you can download a lot of test tones.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htst7 Hd Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page