Best Soundbars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I looked around for a list of the best ones but couldn't find any. Can someone link me to a few great soundbar/subwoofer combo setups? (Wireless + Bluetooth)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know about a complete list, but two you should definitely consider are the Sony HT-CT260 and Polk Surroundbar 5000 IHT. Both have excellent reviews. I have tested the 5000 personally and thought it sounded great.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
The Sony is a good selection. Before buying any soundbar now, I would wait about another 90 days for some early reviews of the new Pioneer Speaker Bar designed by a real speaker engineer, Andrew Jones. I have been seeking a better soundbar to replace an inexpensive JVC from 2010. Tried a few rather expensive and a few cheap. The Pioneer bar has some technology that seems highly intriguing. I promise to sample at some point and post some findings from my less than golden ears. (Unless age counts as golden).

David Freeman
post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The Sony is a good selection. Before buying any soundbar now, I would wait about another 90 days for some early reviews of the new Pioneer Speaker Bar designed by a real speaker engineer, Andrew Jones. I have been seeking a better soundbar to replace an inexpensive JVC from 2010. Tried a few rather expensive and a few cheap. The Pioneer bar has some technology that seems highly intriguing. I promise to sample at some point and post some findings from my less than golden ears. (Unless age counts as golden).

Thanks for this info as I am also in the market still looking. Wow, 1" tweeters!! How many soundbars have that? On the negative side, the sub looks a bit weak both on power (50W).
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Which Pioneer are you speaking of?
Im looking at the Vizio
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Man, this Pioneer sounds like a game changer for this price point...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/06/26/pioneer-announces-andrew-jones-designed-soundbar-399
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Please don't place any emphasis on the size of the woofer cone. Modern technology (actually since about 1977) will allow the control and output of the woofer to match the parameters of the designer.

The issue with most woofers that come with small home theater systems or sound bars is really no attempt at all to match crossover points, sonic signature, etc. To be more specific, most sound bars and many small HTIB's do not even have crossovers and simply let the speakers roll of naturally.

Jones is using eight amplifiers with built in 6th order crossovers. As I have never worked with anything greater that 4th order, I have no idea what this can do to phase or other sonic parameters. However, based on Jones' prowess and previous designs, I believe that all of this should be a mute subject

If we were talking about sub-woofers, this would be an entirely different subject. To my knowledge, there are no HTIB's or sound bars that come with an actual sub-woofer. All come with woofers. Some of them are good, some bad and some indifferent. I have heard more bad, usually mismatched or not matched at all, than I have the other two categories put together.

David

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct260 Sound Bar Home Theater System , Polk Audio Surroundbar 5000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page