Hard of hearing and need more sound! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. For the last few years, I pretty much stopped watching my TV altogether as even while wearing my HAs, the sound just is not very good from my HDTV. It's such a waste as I have a 60" HDTV and my kids only watch Dora on it. Last year I bought a Vizio sound bar and that allowed me to crank up the sound (with a cheap sub-woofer connected) enough to be able to hear movies without my HA as long as no one else was at home.

Recently, the sound-bar stopped working and I'm not sure if I should buy another soundbar, or go another direction. I bought a Digital to analog converter for the Toslink output from the TV and used a pair of headphones, but I could not turn up the volume enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1. Is there a way I can amplify the sound through my headphones? I tried a pair of headphones that had volume control, but it was enough.

#2. Is another soundbar the least expensive way to go?

#3. If not, would I be better off buying a receiver and using my head[hones through that?

#4. Any other suggestions?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see you are not receiving any replies. This is because there are no technology solutions beyond those you have tried. My hearing has been on the decline for several years; although it is not as bad as yours appears to be.

My suggestion is that you give up on trying to find speakers and use the closed caption option on the TV. Nearly all TV programs have closed captions; although live programs don't have the same quality as prerecorded programs.
Reply Soundbars