Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer? - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 617 Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Very cool. Please update this thread if you find something good.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 617 Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Its a shame that the Pioneer does not have a virtual surround option, or, better yet, surround satellites and sub. The drivers that Pioneer uses are truly musical, but for movie lovers the lack of dimensionality is not an asset.

By the way, there was a wonderful article in Sound and Vision about how SRS Laboratories was able to achieve remarkably full surround sound with just two forward firing speakers and a sub! For those who doubt the effectiveness of psychoacoustically derived emulated surround, here's a link to the article below.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/tech-spotlight-srs-future-surround
post #603 of 617 Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Even though I miss the fullness of the Vizio and Yamaha, I decided to keep the Pioneer. Simply because my search for a soundbar was due to a lack of vocal clarity when I'm lazing around using my TV speakers. Both the Vizio and Yamaha lack the clarity of the Pioneer, so it was a choice I had to make.

I'm actually a heavy headphone user, so I really only use the soundbar when I need a break from wearing a pair of headphones.
post #604 of 617 Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Its a shame that the Pioneer does not have a virtual surround option, or, better yet, surround satellites and sub. The drivers that Pioneer uses are truly musical, but for movie lovers the lack of dimensionality is not an asset.

By the way, there was a wonderful article in Sound and Vision about how SRS Laboratories was able to achieve remarkably full surround sound with just two forward firing speakers and a sub! For those who doubt the effectiveness of psychoacoustically derived emulated surround, here's a link to the article below.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/tech-spotlight-srs-future-surround
I agree. I had the Pio sound-bar for about 2 months, and while it did do a good job on vocals and was very musical, the movie experience was lacking. I purchased it as a test to see how it would perform while my man-cave is being built, but in the end I returned it. My man-cave will have 7.1 anyway. The spaciousness and full sound stage I've come to expect from my other systems, was simply lacking with the Pio.

SRS has been around since the mid-90s (read about it here) and can be very effective in opening up the sound stage and placing 2-channel sound virtually all around you. Even from behind in some cases. Why TV manufacturers don't routinely include it as a feature is a mystery, as I suspect the licensing fees are very small by now. Who knows, it might even sell more TVs. smile.gif For a sound-bar to excluded it as a major feature - regardless the target audience - is inexcusable.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #605 of 617 Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

redjr:

Did you read the Sound and Vision article? SRSL (since purchased by DTS) really developed SRS to the point where surround ambience with localization was extraordinarily effective.

Regarding Raven Crimson's point, the Pioneer is a great soundbar in terms of musicality, but there is nothing stopping Pioneer from including virtual sound as an option, or going the satellite sub route. The 54 inch Vizios (bith the 3.1 and 5.1) have a discrete center driver, and, I believe, some dialogue enhancement feature. Curiously, for BluRay/DVD my Panasonic player has dialogue enhancement within its playback options, and it really works.
post #606 of 617 Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

....I believe, some dialogue enhancement feature. Curiously, for BluRay/DVD my Panasonic player has dialogue enhancement within its playback options, and it really works.
My new Panasonic TV also has the dialogue enhancement option, but I found it only improved the dialogue marginally at best. I still leave it on though. Even with a 5.1 or 7.1 full surround setup I find that center channel dialogue is still the weakest link in my movie watching experience. Very quiet dialogue is simply hard to hear clearly much of the time. And yes, I've even boosted my CC speaker during set up to help compensate. My guess some vocals are just under-miced, or not adequately mixed in post-production.

Anyway, the Pio is still a great soundbar for music. I've been a believer in other Andrew Jones' products because I have a couple sets of his other budget speaker lines. They sound great for what you pay for. Still, I did not really need the soundbar, so it went back to BestBuy. I have to say that everything worked on my unit and it did not suffer from some of the earlier reported problems. - Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #607 of 617 Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wonder what they will do for version II

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #608 of 617 Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Wonder what they will do for version II
Unfortunately, it won't be 5.1, but there's a chance that the next, more expensive version might employ Andre Jones' new comcentric drivers, which would be a quantum leap.
post #609 of 617 Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Unfortunately, it won't be 5.1, but there's a chance that the next, more expensive version might employ Andre Jones' new comcentric drivers, which would be a quantum leap.
When do you think we might hear an announcement? I've been considering this soundbar, but lack of a few features has me really wanting to wait for Pioneer's next version.
post #610 of 617 Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know when. My information either comes from one of the Andrew Jones' thread in the speaker forum, or from an article from an AV publication. In the article or post it was said that Mr. Jones didn't want to pursue 5.1 in a soundbar, as he wanted to differntiate the soundbar solution from discrete 5.1.

The entry went on to imply that the new concentric drivers used in the A. Jones' Atmos Enable speaker would find their way into the soundbar.

As you may know, Mr. Jones was intimately involved with the development of KEF's UniQ concentric drivers, so the use of these in a soundbar would be pretty extraordinary.

Sorry about not knowing when, but my gut tells me maybe within the next 5-6 months. But this is just a hunch, backed up by nothing.

I wish Pioneer would make it a 5.1 setup. Concentrics on a 5.1 would be amazing.
post #611 of 617 Old 10-07-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay...here it is, and it looks like ETA will be 3-4 months.

It will have 5.1 decoding (according to Twice) but the processing is used to widen the soundstage, apparently, rather than delivering faux or real 5.1:

http://www.twice.com/news/speakers/p...soundbar/54010
cajieboy and RosinBow like this.
post #612 of 617 Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Okay...here it is, and it looks like ETA will be 3-4 months.

It will have 5.1 decoding (according to Twice) but the processing is used to widen the soundstage, apparently, rather than delivering faux or real 5.1:

http://www.twice.com/news/speakers/p...soundbar/54010
Thanks Taichi. That updated Pio looks to be one sweet soundbar...an Elite no less! Yes, quite an upgrade, but about double the msrp of the SP-SB23W. There are plenty of the features I was looking for in an upgrade, so the Elite version looks very attractive to me.
post #613 of 617 Old 10-08-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I still wish that the Elite Soundbar would have true 5.1 as an option, whether wireless, or with ports to support wired rear speakers.

Nevertheless, the use of Andrew Jones's new concentric drivers may lift the audio quality of this soundbar above most other soundbar solutions on the market. It's pretty exciting, even if I don't get my 5.1.
post #614 of 617 Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gotta say living with this after we finally got a functional Pioneer speaker bar and woofer pair several improvements for a MKII/Elite will be a welcome addition.

Surely Pioneer will take the time to work all the bugs out of an AJ signature speaker bar before shipping after the fiasco in releasing the current version too soon.
post #615 of 617 Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Unlike many of the other soundbars, the Pioneer is holding a firm price on Big River w/only a 12% off msrp. The upcoming Elite soundbar will be twice that amount. If that pricing holds, then I'd have to seriously reconsider my options. That's just too much deniro for me to lay out for a soundbar. We'll see...
post #616 of 617 Old 12-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked one of these up and am wondering about a couple of setting options. I am running the optical cable from the soiund bar to the TV and an HDMI cable from my cable box to the TV.

The cable box is a black Motorola box from Cox. Two questions:
Dynamic Range -- the options are No Compression, Low Compression, High Compression. I am assuming No Compression but want to make sure. When I switch it to High Compression, it gets quite a bit louder.

Output - Linear PCM or Dolby Digital. Got it set on Linear PCM right now. Make any difference?
post #617 of 617 Old Today, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo83 View Post
I just picked one of these up and am wondering about a couple of setting options. I am running the optical cable from the soiund bar to the TV and an HDMI cable from my cable box to the TV.

The cable box is a black Motorola box from Cox. Two questions:
Dynamic Range -- the options are No Compression, Low Compression, High Compression. I am assuming No Compression but want to make sure. When I switch it to High Compression, it gets quite a bit louder.

Output - Linear PCM or Dolby Digital. Got it set on Linear PCM right now. Make any difference?
For the best/widest sound you want no compression from your source and Dolby output. Linear PCM will sound louder because it is compressed. Of course your commercials will sound louder with compression off. Small price to pay for proper dynamic range. I'm surprised the Pio fanboys didn't provide an answer sooner. I've had this speaker bar for a week now and it is good. Still it is an adjustment from my olde 5.1 sound system.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60zt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page