Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer? - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 606 Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Very cool. Please update this thread if you find something good.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 606 Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Its a shame that the Pioneer does not have a virtual surround option, or, better yet, surround satellites and sub. The drivers that Pioneer uses are truly musical, but for movie lovers the lack of dimensionality is not an asset.

By the way, there was a wonderful article in Sound and Vision about how SRS Laboratories was able to achieve remarkably full surround sound with just two forward firing speakers and a sub! For those who doubt the effectiveness of psychoacoustically derived emulated surround, here's a link to the article below.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/tech-spotlight-srs-future-surround
post #603 of 606 Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Even though I miss the fullness of the Vizio and Yamaha, I decided to keep the Pioneer. Simply because my search for a soundbar was due to a lack of vocal clarity when I'm lazing around using my TV speakers. Both the Vizio and Yamaha lack the clarity of the Pioneer, so it was a choice I had to make.

I'm actually a heavy headphone user, so I really only use the soundbar when I need a break from wearing a pair of headphones.
post #604 of 606 Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Its a shame that the Pioneer does not have a virtual surround option, or, better yet, surround satellites and sub. The drivers that Pioneer uses are truly musical, but for movie lovers the lack of dimensionality is not an asset.

By the way, there was a wonderful article in Sound and Vision about how SRS Laboratories was able to achieve remarkably full surround sound with just two forward firing speakers and a sub! For those who doubt the effectiveness of psychoacoustically derived emulated surround, here's a link to the article below.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/tech-spotlight-srs-future-surround
I agree. I had the Pio sound-bar for about 2 months, and while it did do a good job on vocals and was very musical, the movie experience was lacking. I purchased it as a test to see how it would perform while my man-cave is being built, but in the end I returned it. My man-cave will have 7.1 anyway. The spaciousness and full sound stage I've come to expect from my other systems, was simply lacking with the Pio.

SRS has been around since the mid-90s (read about it here) and can be very effective in opening up the sound stage and placing 2-channel sound virtually all around you. Even from behind in some cases. Why TV manufacturers don't routinely include it as a feature is a mystery, as I suspect the licensing fees are very small by now. Who knows, it might even sell more TVs. smile.gif For a sound-bar to excluded it as a major feature - regardless the target audience - is inexcusable.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #605 of 606 Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
redjr:

Did you read the Sound and Vision article? SRSL (since purchased by DTS) really developed SRS to the point where surround ambience with localization was extraordinarily effective.

Regarding Raven Crimson's point, the Pioneer is a great soundbar in terms of musicality, but there is nothing stopping Pioneer from including virtual sound as an option, or going the satellite sub route. The 54 inch Vizios (bith the 3.1 and 5.1) have a discrete center driver, and, I believe, some dialogue enhancement feature. Curiously, for BluRay/DVD my Panasonic player has dialogue enhancement within its playback options, and it really works.
post #606 of 606 Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

....I believe, some dialogue enhancement feature. Curiously, for BluRay/DVD my Panasonic player has dialogue enhancement within its playback options, and it really works.
My new Panasonic TV also has the dialogue enhancement option, but I found it only improved the dialogue marginally at best. I still leave it on though. Even with a 5.1 or 7.1 full surround setup I find that center channel dialogue is still the weakest link in my movie watching experience. Very quiet dialogue is simply hard to hear clearly much of the time. And yes, I've even boosted my CC speaker during set up to help compensate. My guess some vocals are just under-miced, or not adequately mixed in post-production.

Anyway, the Pio is still a great soundbar for music. I've been a believer in other Andrew Jones' products because I have a couple sets of his other budget speaker lines. They sound great for what you pay for. Still, I did not really need the soundbar, so it went back to BestBuy. I have to say that everything worked on my unit and it did not suffer from some of the earlier reported problems. - Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page