Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 606 Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw on Amazon this morning(HST), but by afternoon they were out. I hope to be in a position to order in about a week and in a quandary to order from Amazon or direct from Pioneer- I have a prime membership at Amazon, so shipping free and probably faster...but if early supplies are tight...? So my point- Andrew, will be very interested to hear how quickly your order is fulfilled and delivered. Thank you very much...
And of course if you want to bestow us all with your listening perceptions that is also greatly appreciated. Really surprised someone in the press hasn't tried to get the jump and do a real review...anyone seen anything new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 606 Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf2tao View Post

I saw on Amazon this morning(HST), but by afternoon they were out. I hope to be in a position to order in about a week and in a quandary to order from Amazon or direct from Pioneer- I have a prime membership at Amazon, so shipping free and probably faster...but if early supplies are tight...? So my point- Andrew, will be very interested to hear how quickly your order is fulfilled and delivered. Thank you very much...
And of course if you want to bestow us all with your listening perceptions that is also greatly appreciated. Really surprised someone in the press hasn't tried to get the jump and do a real review...anyone seen anything new?

I jumped into an order as well, only one left when I ordered!
post #93 of 606 Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 10
I've been following this thread since it started. I've been going back and forth between the Pioneer,and the ZVOX 580.
I have a Sony HT-CT100. After seeing drm870's post, I called my local Best Buy (Plano, TX), and they had two. I picked one up immediately.
I tried out some jazz first, Bill Evans Trio, and I really liked it. My wife is a musician, and she noticed the difference and liked the sound as well.

Later, I watched the opening scene of Star Wars on BD, in Movie Mode and like the sound as well.

We have one problem though - the woofer is making a subtle fluttering sound. I didn't notice it at first, but you can hear it at middle to low volumes and even when the main speaker bar is in standby mode. I had to unplug the woofer for it to stop. Has anyone experienced this?
I moved the woofer to difference location in the room and still got the same results. Does anyone know what is causing this?
post #94 of 606 Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf2tao View Post

Really surprised someone in the press hasn't tried to get the jump and do a real review...anyone seen anything new?

I emailed "The Wire Cutter" the other day and asked if they planned on reviewing the speaker bar and I heard back from Brian Lam yesterday. They are working on thier review as we speak. I like thier reviews so I look forward to reading it.
post #95 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

After reading this yesterday, I did some research and went to my local Best Buy to listen to it. I bought it on the spot. I'm very happy with it and blows away the on-board speakers on my new Panny plasma.

I'm sure that it can't keep up with the Pioneer, but I didn't want to drop $400 bucks on a rec room setup.

Thanks for the tip.

Welcome. Pretty amazing and damn good looking!

Yeah, there's a time and place for everything. Having said that, I probably have 20K tied up in my HT system - 2 outboard amps, 1 HT receiver, two 15" subs, bi-amping using highest quality electronic crossover at 80Hz, 24 dB, all speakers finished in fine woods like Jatoba, Honduras mahogony, black walnut, etc. French, German, American drivers...... That's where you spend your money. And one fine projector - Panny PT-AE8000. Wow to that one!

A soundbar should only be pursued by those dissatisfied with cheap inboard TV speakers. I think it's a poor choice for a living room or HT room.
post #96 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frank View Post

Welcome. Pretty amazing and damn good looking!

Yeah, there's a time and place for everything. Having said that, I probably have 20K tied up in my HT system - 2 outboard amps, 1 HT receiver, two 15" subs, bi-amping using highest quality electronic crossover at 80Hz, 24 dB, all speakers finished in fine woods like Jatoba, Honduras mahogony, black walnut, etc. French, German, American drivers...... That's where you spend your money. And one fine projector - Panny PT-AE8000. Wow to that one!

A soundbar should only be pursued by those dissatisfied with cheap inboard TV speakers. I think it's a poor choice for a living room or HT room.

Hi,

I only bought this to replace the on-board speakers and it seems to be getting better every time I turn it on. Very happy with the purchase. I too, have a dedicated HT room with some nice gear and projector system. Curiously, when I go to the HT room for evening viewing, the LG timbre very closely matches the XT32 calibrated room. Bill O'Reilly pretty much sounds the same in either room.
post #97 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Being delivered on Monday via Amazon.
post #98 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM

I just spoke with Pioneer's Tech Support concerning the flutter noise from the woofer. They recommended that I either take it back to the store and exchange it for another one or contact a service center. They think it is defective. I hope I can find a BB with one in stock.
post #99 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 02:15 PM

I listened to this soundbar today and was not impressed at all. The subwoofer looks like Mario's block that he forgot to get a mushroom out of. The subwoofer was working correctly and had no presence. The soundbar was just average and sounds like the LG and samsung soundbars below $300. I did like the way the soundbar looked. The klipsch sb-1 blows this soundbar away. I felt a need to post because I watched the hour long Andrew Jones interview and saw the hype on here saying its a "game changer". Buy the sb-1 and this soundbar and I know which one you will return.
post #100 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
More Music

Did extended listening to Wagner Thursday evening. Let's face it, it may take a community to raise a child, but it takes a real speaker to raise Wagner. Am I disappointed? Not at all.

I looked over at my better-half and she was sitting on the sofa with her eyes closed, head moving witht he music as she imagined everything on stage.

With the recordings I was using, some true 2-channel instead of 16 channel mono, Wagner usually sounds like music. With the Pioneer, it sounds like very good hi-fi. This is not an insult as I have owned and heard sound bars that cost four or five times what Pioneer is asking and they did not sound like music or good hi-fi.

Once, I closed my eyes and listened for about ten minutes, the speakers almost vanished and I could really hear the music. I know this is a sonic effect that happens on almost any sound system. Based on what I keep hearing, I see nothing that would make me wish to return Pioneer's speaker bar. This is the first inexpensive device that I can actually enjoy with orchestral music and voice.

I used to use a record (vinyl) with a sliding tone from 20k to 20 that was excellent for locating the shallow or inadequate portions of a speaker's response. Even was good for spotting phase mis-alignment and room anomolies. Wish I had this now. However, for those whose primary or secondary purpose is to find a sound bar adequate for music, this is the best I have had my hands on and for now, I do not intend to look further. I never sought the Holy Grail even when I had about 20k invested at my old home (what was I thinking).

Things to look for that may or may not bother you.
High end is not as accurate or extended as a good pair of full range speakers.
Some hollowness in the lower mid-range.

The bass is extended and natural once the woofer balance has been trimmed in correctly.

Basically there is nothing missing.

My wife has been requesting a change in our living room for the past three years which includes no more Infinity loudspeakers. These are almost 50" tall and weigh about 50 lbs. each so they are rather difficult to hide. We have brought home and tested small speakers from B&W ($ 2,000 ouch), DefTech ($ 1,000 not as much outch), Mirage and a few others. Each spent a minimum of ten days in the house and even without comparing, the wife was always ready to send back before I was. Most had nice sound from mid-midrange to treble. All sounded as if they were missing something in the lower mid to mid bass making them sound to light for most of our listening which includes acoustic jazz and voice (should be easy).

The Pioneer has none of the deficiencies of the small form factor speakers we tested. With the woofer adjusted properly, these sound like a good full range speaker. The Infinity speakers present a sound stage that extends three to five feet beyond their physical boundaries as well as about five feet front to back in depth. Due to the closeness of the drivers, the Pioneer sounds like a very impressive one or two channel system.

I am not sure how to respond to the comments above concerning the size of the woofer. I am not sure how this is relative. Also, not sure of the listener's criteria for what sounds good and zero experience with the Klipsch. I am familiar with the sound of the original Klipschorn loudspeaker as my deceased father in law hand built two. One in the early 1950's (before stereo) and one in the early 1960's. At the time, Klipsch sold the plans to build the folded horn enclosure and also sold the drivers and crossovers. I had attempted something on a smaller scale when I was about 20 years old, but did not have the craftsmanship to make anything like these. Impressive speakers at the time they were built and probably still so today.

Just as I advise anyone looking for HDTV, don't judge anything (and I do mean anything) by what you see in the store. Same is true for sound. You can only make a proper judgement in your own home when the equipment is set up properly. If you are unable to do this, you should rely on trusted sources for review. And as info, I am not one of those trusted sources. Don't have golden ears or eyes.

Possum Girl - as info, I attempted to get the wife to try a small tower from DefTech as well as one from B&W. Both about 30" high and sounded like good full-range speakers in the store. She did not want even a small version of R2D2 on the floor.

Still hoping for some more voice and old time rock&roll this weekend. And I apologize that I don't even know some of the artists or groups that were mentioned for me to listen to. Will check with my 27 year old son and his wife to see if they have anything. If so, it will probably be an MP3 from the iPads. I don't mind MP3's. I own thousands.

David Freeman
post #101 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Cool. So go try the sb-1 since you haven't heard it and you will like it much more. I have heard every soundbar in retail and the klipsch sounds a lot better. Price wise it is more expensive but I bring it up because of the hype of this pioneer soundbar. The 2013 LG soundbar that's currently on sale for $199 is on par with the pioneer if $400 is out of someone's range or for someone who is skeptical. As always, just go to best buy to try it out. Even better just buy the ones you are considering and return the loser.
post #102 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 172
just a quick thank you drF for your detailed thoughts. the depth of which is much appreciated!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #103 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Drfreeman60,
Could you please test the analogue RCA vs. the digital input connection? Would like to know if there's a sound quality difference. I'm thinking there's an A->D then D->A conversion if using the analogue RCA inputs.

Steve

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #104 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNincompoop View Post

I emailed "The Wire Cutter" the other day and asked if they planned on reviewing the speaker bar and I heard back from Brian Lam yesterday. They are working on thier review as we speak. I like thier reviews so I look forward to reading it.

This post inspired me to take the initiative to email Matthew Moskovciak of CNET to ask when their review of the speaker bar is going up. He replied a few minutes later (from his smartphone, the email indicated!) that it will be posted Monday.
sheshechic likes this.
post #105 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

This post inspired me to take the initiative to email Matthew Moskovciak of CNET to ask when their review of the speaker bar is going up. He replied a few minutes later (from his smartphone, the email indicated!) that it will be posted Monday.

Nice!

Looks like we'll have a couple pro reviews right around the corner. Although, contrary to David's self-assessed determination that he is not a trusted source, I beg to differ. He is exactly the type of guy I want to hear from in leui of my own experience with it - a music lover with an appreciation for what constitutes a good listening experience with the knowledge to articulate that experience to others so they understand where you are coming from! Again, thanks for that David and for your time in doing so.

I hope to have one myself here pretty soon and will share my impressions as well...
post #106 of 606 Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 PM

Dr. F, thanks for your report, especially on the Wagner. I put a lot of stock in your wife's closed eye sway. Probably not too many of us who were exposed to the old Klipsch horns- they were amazing and required almost no power to drive. I had big Def Tech set-up in early 2000's with powered subs all the way around...it was amazing in a large dedicated HT room. But after corp C7, personal C7 (high tech bust anybody?) and disability my values have changed in a huge way...but my love of music does not waver. This soundbar offers a huge improvement in my quality of life I hope/believe....
Now I just have to find more sources for streaming lossless music files....
post #107 of 606 Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Anyone know if these are available at stores in Canada yet??
post #108 of 606 Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 AM

I just exchanged my speaker bar at Dallas BB. Hopefully this one is not defective. I planning on hanging the bar on the wall. I can't find the weight of the bar in the manual or on their site. Anyone know?
post #109 of 606 Old 09-21-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvm5 View Post

I just exchanged my speaker bar at Dallas BB. Hopefully this one is not defective. I planning on hanging the bar on the wall. I can't find the weight of the bar in the manual or on their site. Anyone know?
Just make sure you hang it from at least 2 studs with 2" screws(that's assuming your wall is sheetrock and not plaster\lath).
You'll be fine.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #110 of 606 Old 09-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Amazon delivered this morning. Quite looking forward to setting it up. Taking the Jet for a spin though.
post #111 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 AM

I'm glad someone showed me this thread. Would this out perform something like this:

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=LS3100&class=Systems&source=prodClass

that's my other option.

also, for those who have their TV on a tv bench/stand, how do you guys deal with the bars? seems like they're too tall to sit in front of the tv on the stand. do those little arms they sell to attach the bar on top of the tv using the mounting holes actually work and look good?
post #112 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post

Anyone know if these are available at stores in Canada yet??

You can pre-order once you navigate the maze of links on Pioneer's Canadian website. Beyond that neither Google, Pioneer or this forum has given me any more information about getting this item in Ontario.

Good luck though, let me know if you find it somewhere.
post #113 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2nv View Post

I'm glad someone showed me this thread. Would this out perform something like this:

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=LS3100&class=Systems&source=prodClass

that's my other option.

also, for those who have their TV on a tv bench/stand, how do you guys deal with the bars? seems like they're too tall to sit in front of the tv on the stand. do those little arms they sell to attach the bar on top of the tv using the mounting holes actually work and look good?

As far as placement on a tv stand, I got lucky. You're correct that the bar is a bit tall to sit in front of the tv (at least it was for me.) I tried it and while it didn't block the tv it sucked esthetically. My stand fortunately has a 20" shelf just below the tv. I placed the bar there (after relocating my cable box), gave the bar a slight upward tilt and it looks and sounds terrific. I just played Clapton's "one more car one more rider" DVD and was impressed with the realism and musicality of this speaker bar. Almost felt like I was there.

Michael Goldbeck
post #114 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Appreciate your feedback Goldbeck; curious what size room you are listening in...do you listen to any other genre's? Is this your main setup, or do you have other speakers you are comparing to? Thanks for any and all info!
post #115 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Considering this item is a Gamechanger, I'd like more people to chime in.
post #116 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

I haven't received mine yet. Since yours arrived on Saturday, though, how about we start with you? tongue.gif
post #117 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM

I haven't opened the box of my replacement Pioneer SP-SB23W. I decided to hang my 60" Panny ST30 on the wall using the Sanus Simplicity SLF4. What a pain - I can't get it level. Anyway, once I solve that then I will cable everything up and try out the speaker bar again. I'm sure there is a break in period. Hopefully, I can do that before the 15 day BB guarantee period is up.
post #118 of 606 Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

Considering you are one of the few people that supposedly has one in their possession, you post is REALLY confusing...
post #119 of 606 Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 AM

Can't seem to get the Bluetooth to sync with anything. The instructions call for me to hold the Bluetooth Pairing Button till it flashes, which it does, but not enough time for it to register?!

Anyone else have this problem?!
post #120 of 606 Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 AM

Fixed, about to turn on the first time, demoing Bocelli, FLAC.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page