Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboxtm View Post

Bestbuy.com has the 660 for 249.99 + Tax. Couldn't resist getting it especially at that price.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I bought the 260H two days ago and returned it the next day. I thought the 250 I paid for it was good for the new "updated" model. Wasn't disappointed or anything just didn't think it was worth it. Glad I did once I saw the deal on the 660 tonight. Ordered one for pick up.

BTW another difference between the 260 and 260H is that the H has a nicer looking clean and clear white display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
Where are you guys seeing the $249 price on the 660? I'm getting an on sale price of $345.99?
post #33 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMxB View Post

Where are you guys seeing the $249 price on the 660? I'm getting an on sale price of $345.99?

Sale ended. Keep your eye on this sight or keep checking Best Buy.
post #34 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Man, I was just about to drive out to Best Buy to pick one up. Luckily, I checked this thread first. frown.gif
post #35 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM

I picked one up for $250. So fat I think the sound volume is a little low!
I have it hooked up with optical to my sony tv.
Does this soundbar learn my remote's volume codes? I only want to use my fios remote. Can I program the fios remote to control it??
post #36 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Also, would you guys mind sharing your eq and other settings? Right now I'm not impressed and would like to do some tweaking. Unfortunately I don't even know what to tweak.
post #37 of 57 Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

As far as settings go:

- Stereo sounds the best to me for most applications. "Sports" is OK for some sports, depending on how the 5.1 is mixed.
- I have the subwoofer set to -6, original setting is way too high for me
- I have Dialogue at +3
- Bass and Treble are at +2

Overall, the sound doesn't seem "full" unless the volume is turned up a bit. On the flipside, dialogue seems to be clearer at lower volumes then my previous system (onkyo tx-sr503 + polk titanium soundbar & sub).

I have no clue about the FIOS remote setup, with DirecTV's remote setup I told it I was using a Sony HTCT550 receiver, and I was able to get it to control the Sony volume with the DirecTV remote.

Dave
post #38 of 57 Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I think the 3d surround effects sound weird. I agree stereo probably sounds the best. For me the standard sub setting is fine. I might even turn it up!!

I figured out that using arc I could connect to my sony tv and use Bravia sync. So when I turn the tv on the sound bar also turns on and the vol controls work.

Still deciding if I should keep this or get the pioneer.
post #39 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 AM

I grabbed this system last night - sounds great in my space, needed to tone the woofer down a bit but otherwise awesome.

Is there any sound difference when going through optical VS HDMI? I'm going through optical and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.
post #40 of 57 Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM

I'm surely no audiophile, but I tried both optical and HDMI and couldn't notice a difference whatsoever.
post #41 of 57 Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Since optical and HDMI are digital, there should be zero difference. HDMI supports output up to 7.1 channels. Totally irrelevant when dealing with a 2-channel sound bar. Or a four or five channel soundbar if you have one.

David Freeman
post #42 of 57 Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is a high end soundbar.
post #43 of 57 Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Murphy View Post

I grabbed this system last night - sounds great in my space, needed to tone the woofer down a bit but otherwise awesome.

Is there any sound difference when going through optical VS HDMI? I'm going through optical and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Since optical and HDMI are digital, there should be zero difference. HDMI supports output up to 7.1 channels. Totally irrelevant when dealing with a 2-channel sound bar. Or a four or five channel soundbar if you have one.

Drfreeman is right, but it's worth pointing out that there is a difference, even if its not noticeable via the soundbar. I believe that if a TV's output is via optical, the sound, no matter what the source, is sent out in stereo or 2.1. Is that correct? If the TV output is via HDMI, then the full sound is transmitted over the HDMI. They put that in for copyright protection. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Captain Murphy might appreciate knowing the difference, even if it technically doesn't affect him.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #44 of 57 Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If we are talking about sound out of the TV, it will be 2 channel PCM for connected sources such as blu-ray, cable or satellite boxes via either connection. For output from the TV tuner, it will be whatever is broadcast, 2-ch or 5-ch. Potential for extra information from the TV as a source. If connecting directly from the source, the output to the soundbar will be whatever the source is passing up to 5.1 for optical and up to 7.1 for HDMI. Therefore, there is a potential for more information being passed to the soundbar via HDMI directly from a source such as a blu-ray player or cable/satellite tuner.

Whether any of this is audible on a 2-channel device, I am not sure.

Also, to take advantage of the additional information, you must make sure that your playback device is set to bit-stream. By default, every blu-ray player I have assisted with comes from the factory set for PCM. This includes new units from Panasonic and Sony in the past three weeks.

Previously, I used a 4.1 channel sound bar from JVC and connected all devices directly to the sound bar and yes, a very audible difference as compared to 2-channel sound.

Hope I got all of this right and understandable.
AutoWobble likes this.

David Freeman
post #45 of 57 Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 AM

I picked up the HT-CT660 on a boxing day sale - where it was needed did not have space for 5.1, wiring, etc.

My thoughts - it's not bad overall. The crossover frequency is too high resulting in some localization at the bass module, and the shipped SW level is too high (-2 is good for me).

There are a few UI/technical design flaws which are surpsrising for a product coming out in 2013 from Sony. They are actually shocking.

1) No discrete input remote codes for inputs or power - for something in this day and age where it will be likley used as part of a "system". My Harmony remote can deal with this, but it is easy to get out of sync - not great for the wife acceptance factor.

2) Night Mode is buried in the menus. C'mon Sony - this is the very definition of a feature that will be used frequently (like DAILY). Having to navigate menus to switch it is ridiculous. Also too many keystrokes to make it a harmony macro! Meanwhile there are a bunch of discrete soundfield buttons, and since they are save per input you don't generally need to use - or very rarely need to change.

For anyone who thinks a 2ch soundbar does not benefit from > 2ch input though is not understanding what is going on. Virtual surround from 2ch is just phase tricks to make everything sound spacious. Even with stereo there are ways to localize sound to almost any position - even behind you. The illusion requires excellent level matching between the right and left channels, which involves the electronics, speakers, and positioning. Luckily the class-D amplifiers provide this from an electronics perspective, and the speakers are small and forced to be ideally positioned in a sound bar form factor. The last piece is listener position and if your are directly in front of the TV, that is pretty ideal too.

If your source is 5.1 or 7.1 and the bar can decode it, it can position _those_ channels correctly in a 2ch output instead of not having any information about where they should come from (like in a 2.0 channel source). Listening to 5.1 content on this bar gives me the impression that Sony is in fact positioning the channels correctly in that the stuff that is behind me is not a "spacious" version of the entire content but is based on would what is actually encoded in the surround channels.
post #46 of 57 Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaque View Post

I picked up the HT-CT660 on a boxing day sale - where it was needed did not have space for 5.1, wiring, etc.

My thoughts - it's not bad overall. The crossover frequency is too high resulting in some localization at the bass module, and the shipped SW level is too high (-2 is good for me).

There are a few UI/technical design flaws which are surpsrising for a product coming out in 2013 from Sony. They are actually shocking.

1) No discrete input remote codes for inputs or power - for something in this day and age where it will be likley used as part of a "system". My Harmony remote can deal with this, but it is easy to get out of sync - not great for the wife acceptance factor.

2) Night Mode is buried in the menus. C'mon Sony - this is the very definition of a feature that will be used frequently (like DAILY). Having to navigate menus to switch it is ridiculous. Also too many keystrokes to make it a harmony macro! Meanwhile there are a bunch of discrete soundfield buttons, and since they are save per input you don't generally need to use - or very rarely need to change.

For anyone who thinks a 2ch soundbar does not benefit from > 2ch input though is not understanding what is going on. Virtual surround from 2ch is just phase tricks to make everything sound spacious. Even with stereo there are ways to localize sound to almost any position - even behind you. The illusion requires excellent level matching between the right and left channels, which involves the electronics, speakers, and positioning. Luckily the class-D amplifiers provide this from an electronics perspective, and the speakers are small and forced to be ideally positioned in a sound bar form factor. The last piece is listener position and if your are directly in front of the TV, that is pretty ideal too.

If your source is 5.1 or 7.1 and the bar can decode it, it can position _those_ channels correctly in a 2ch output instead of not having any information about where they should come from (like in a 2.0 channel source). Listening to 5.1 content on this bar gives me the impression that Sony is in fact positioning the channels correctly in that the stuff that is behind me is not a "spacious" version of the entire content but is based on would what is actually encoded in the surround channels.

Macaque - fantastic first post and excellent explanation for the 2-ch from multi-channel issue.

On your gripe about discrete input codes, welcome to the world of soundbars. This has been an ongoin issue since the early days of the Yamaha Sound Projectors and has not changed.

Why these various manufacturers do not use at least a set of codes from their receivers is beyond me.

I was advised by Yamaha back in 2006 to purchase a Harmony remote which could resolve all of the issues. It did just that and made my remote life so simple, I have kept one for my home theater ever since. Of course, at the time, I was a little bit irate with Yamaha that after spending close to $ 2,000 for their sound bar and dedicated sub-woofer, I should need to go out and spend an additional $ 150 for a remote so it could be integrated seamlessly into my system.

David Freeman
post #47 of 57 Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mac - one additional comment. As you mentioned, the various soundbar manufacturers use phase and timing differences to simulate a broader sound field. Something I discovered with that very first Yamaha was the fact that the phase shift if very audible to some people (both me and my wife) and also, if audible can be quite grating after a while. Eventually, we set the Yamaha and all subsequent soundbars to 2-channel to rid ourselves of the distortion (probably the wrong term) associated with the out of phase sound. We are both in our early 60's and even though our hearing is much impaired from when we were spending large sums of money in search of the sonic holy-grail as we did in our 20's, some sounds still come through as incorrect.

The only exceptions were an inexpensive 4-ch soundbar from JVC and a 5-ch soundbar from Definitive Technology. The JVC also had a psuedo surround mode, but with it off, you still had a broad sound stage and all four channels, just no fake and out of phase surround.

David Freeman
post #48 of 57 Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Here's what I had to do to get the 660 sounding good. There is a pretty big dip in the vocal range: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512582/my-projector-has-only-1-hdmi-input-are-there-soundbars-that-will-take-the-feeds-from-3-sources-and-switch-between-them#post_24495507

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #49 of 57 Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: Caution. The "sound field" adjustment is critical on movies/TV on the 660. You can make the music sound really good on several of the sound field settings, but dialog will suffer, and it sure confused me. So here's a cross post for your convenience.

I'm an idiot. Again. I had been having a tough time with the dialog. My mistake was setting the "sound field" in the upper right corner to "music" at the outset, and then forgetting it and trying to make the dialog clear later (after I forgot about that setting entirely) with nothing but tone/equalization. Though I listened and equalized to music a couple of times, and the music sounded really accurate, when I watched TV/Movies, the dialog was really hard to understand a fair amount of the time. So I got off my butt and got my reading glasses and go out the manual (oh dread) and remembered that setting. There is a setting called "drama" in the "sound field" category. Huge difference. Then I went back and and equalized/tone adjusted everything on music that I was very familiar with, so I knew it was tonally accurate, and the music sounded great. Then I went to the Digital Video Essentials, and tried the surround test, and it amazingly located sounds accurately completely around me (still don't know how that is possible, and he visual cues may play some role in fooling me, but still......wow.) So then back to movie/TV and clarity abounds. Totally satisfied now. Music and TV are both great. Final settings for my room (rooms make a big difference): "drama" ; Voice +4; Sub 0; Bass -2; Treble +1. Sounds great on music and voices. Very accurate. Crystal clear.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #50 of 57 Old 04-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post

Thank you for your reply, JDMxB. And yes, you're right, that seems to be the only difference on the new model.

SONY also seems to have dropped Pro Logic II from the 260H and many of its latest bars (it was a feature in the 260), so when processing 2 channel signals to multi-channel surround people may hear a subtle difference in the way the newer unit embellishes to faux surround. I don't know why, but SONY seems to have switched to a proprietary system over licensing PLII tech for the newest models.
post #51 of 57 Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 AM

Liked: 18
Anyone have remote codes for directv genie rc71 to work with sony's ht-ct660??
Any help would be appreciated.
post #52 of 57 Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

Update: Caution. The "sound field" adjustment is critical on movies/TV on the 660. You can make the music sound really good on several of the sound field settings, but dialog will suffer, and it sure confused me. So here's a cross post for your convenience.

I'm an idiot. Again. I had been having a tough time with the dialog. My mistake was setting the "sound field" in the upper right corner to "music" at the outset, and then forgetting it and trying to make the dialog clear later (after I forgot about that setting entirely) with nothing but tone/equalization. Though I listened and equalized to music a couple of times, and the music sounded really accurate, when I watched TV/Movies, the dialog was really hard to understand a fair amount of the time. So I got off my butt and got my reading glasses and go out the manual (oh dread) and remembered that setting. There is a setting called "drama" in the "sound field" category. Huge difference. Then I went back and and equalized/tone adjusted everything on music that I was very familiar with, so I knew it was tonally accurate, and the music sounded great. Then I went to the Digital Video Essentials, and tried the surround test, and it amazingly located sounds accurately completely around me (still don't know how that is possible, and he visual cues may play some role in fooling me, but still......wow.) So then back to movie/TV and clarity abounds. Totally satisfied now. Music and TV are both great. Final settings for my room (rooms make a bid difference): "drama" ; Voice +4; Sub 0; Bass -2; Treble +1. Sounds great on music and voices. Very accurate. Crystal clear.
Good stuff.... thanks for the info!
So you're using your "Drama" setting for both TV/Movies and Music?

StayThristyMyFriends
post #53 of 57 Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. I suspect that is the one with the least phase manipulation/time delay monkey business.

Joe -----

post #54 of 57 Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Great Info here. Thanx for those settings JHOUSE. I will give them a shot. I just bought the CT660 from BB "Open Box" for $188. Could not pass up at that price.
post #55 of 57 Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cannot turn on the CT660 via ARC control

Just picked up this soundbar from the Sony store for $200. So far, I'm very happy with the sound quality out of the box and will be trying out some of the suggestions in this thread to get some additional improvement.

The issue I'm currently trying to debug is trying to turn on the soundbar when I turn on the TV.

In my setup, I have a TiVo HD connected via HDMI to a Panasonic P65VT30. The P65VT30 HDMI 1 (ARC) is connected to the CT660 TV OUT (ARC) port. After I turn on the TV, I expected the soundbar to also turn on. I have to turn it on manually as a separate operation.

I believe my connections and settings on both the TV and soundbar are correct since the following happens:
- once the soundbar is on, this is recognized by the TV, and the internal sound cuts out
- when volume is adjusted using the TV's remote, I see a unique display on the screen and the soundbar's volume is correctly adjusted.
- finally, when I turn off the TV, the soundbar also turns off

Your helpful suggestions are appreciated...
post #56 of 57 Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet25 View Post
Just picked up this soundbar from the Sony store for $200. So far, I'm very happy with the sound quality out of the box and will be trying out some of the suggestions in this thread to get some additional improvement.

The issue I'm currently trying to debug is trying to turn on the soundbar when I turn on the TV.

In my setup, I have a TiVo HD connected via HDMI to a Panasonic P65VT30. The P65VT30 HDMI 1 (ARC) is connected to the CT660 TV OUT (ARC) port. After I turn on the TV, I expected the soundbar to also turn on. I have to turn it on manually as a separate operation.

I believe my connections and settings on both the TV and soundbar are correct since the following happens:
- once the soundbar is on, this is recognized by the TV, and the internal sound cuts out
- when volume is adjusted using the TV's remote, I see a unique display on the screen and the soundbar's volume is correctly adjusted.
- finally, when I turn off the TV, the soundbar also turns off

Your helpful suggestions are appreciated...
Connections seem correct. You may have to go through the CEC/ARC settings on both tv and soundbar. Which should be set to ON. And check manuals regarding the specified settings. That's just off the top of my head as that is what I have used before using the harmony remote. However, I own a different tv, but a sony s-bar(ht-ct 660). Hope this helps.
post #57 of 57 Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, nhanstop. Finally stumbled on a really obscure setting in the P65VT30 that did the trick. There is a VIERA menu setting for Default speakers that I had to change from TV to Theater. The manual was not helpful in this regard
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page