Sony HT-CT260 vs. HT-CT660 mini review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Having limited space in my bedroom for a sound system, I caved in a couple months ago and bought the Sony HT-CT260 because of all the rave reviews. My initial impressions were that it was a fantastic little sound system. It had great clarity and excellent bass response, but over time I began to notice that it was lacking in high frequencies. Compared to my Energy C-9's it was missing a lot of detail in the high range. I then returned it and got the Klipsch Icon SB 1, but was very disapointed. It sounded muddy no matter what adjustments I made. It was also very bulky and came with a horrible remote. I was about to give up on soundbars altogether and just get Polk TL3's or maybe even Energy Take Classic's, but I stumbled upon the only HT-CT660 bestbuy had and decided to try it out. Well, I can honestly say this soundbar rocks. The addition of tweeters over the HT-CT260 and the improved subwoofer really make a difference. The clarity is amazing and it does an excellent job of filling my room with sound. For the extra $50 I paid over the HT-CT260 (bestbuy price match to amazon), its a no-brainer. If you are looking for a sound bar that really performs and has nice features like bluetooth (which works perfectly with no glitches), then take a look (and listen) at the HT-CT660.

HT-CT260 and HT-CT660:

Larger Subwoofer on HT-CT660:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review. I pulled the trigger on the CT660, it will arrive tomorrow. biggrin.gif

The 2-way speakers, larger sub, DTS, HDMI ports, are definitely worth $50 more.
post #3 of 60 Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was torn whether or not to spend the extra cash on the HT-CT660 or just stick with the HT-CT260 and this mini review has me SOLD on the 660.

Thanks for your input.
post #4 of 60 Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post

Thanks for the review. I pulled the trigger on the CT660, it will arrive tomorrow. biggrin.gif

The 2-way speakers, larger sub, DTS, HDMI ports, are definitely worth $50 more.

Where are you seeing a $50 difference? On Amazon it's over $100 difference.
post #5 of 60 Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HT-CT260 was 299.99 until recently it went on sale. Still even at at $100 more its worth it.
post #6 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM

I have had my Sony CT660 for over 3 months now and I love it for all the reasons stated before. Also remember this is not meant to replace a expensive 7.1 or 5.1 system for a large room. I got mine on sale when it came out for $299. I have a smaller room with an 8 ft ceiling.

For the price it does many things and when my family watches bluray movies it delivers a movie theater like sound. I use the Bluetooth to listen to my ipod and smartphone when I want background music when I'm working. I like the look of a clean and simple setup. A good value.
post #7 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
How does the 660 Compare to the Vizio Model: S4251w-B4?
post #8 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2bSquare View Post

How does the 660 Compare to the Vizio Model: S4251w-B4?

Cnet claims it sounded better then the HT-CT260, which already sounded excellent. However, if you have room for rear speakers you should be looking at a true receiver/speakers set-up. The remote is very cool though and the overall design seems very minimalist if thats what you prefer.
post #9 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Cnet claims it sounded better then the HT-CT260, which already sounded excellent. However, if you have room for rear speakers you should be looking at a true receiver/speakers set-up. The remote is very cool though and the overall design seems very minimalist if thats what you prefer.

Ya I live in a townhouse, so my living room is perfect for the Vizio. Im just worried about the sound.. I went to my local BB and listened to it first hand. Im just trying to figure out how it will fit infront of my Samsung 7100 55" tv....
post #10 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya I live in a townhouse, so my living room is perfect for the Vizio. Im just worried about the sound.. I went to my local BB and listened to it first hand. Im just trying to figure out how it will fit infront of my Samsung 7100 55" tv....

The energy take classic system or polk tl1600/1900 will sound much better than any sound bar and easily fit into a living room.
post #11 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 79
FWIW, just checked Amazon $347, BB $350.

Very tempted but trying to hold out for the new Pioneer. mad.gif

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #12 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

What is the new Pioneer bringing to the table as far as features and sound not offered by the Sony CT660? Do you have any spec comparisons? That would be appreciated if you do.
post #13 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM

The main reason i don't get one of those systems mentioned is because I don't want to run wires across each all of my townhouse. Im currently looking at the Vizio S4251w-B4 or the Sony HTCT660. If you guys recommend something like this i'll look into it.
post #14 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Comparing specs between the Pioneer and Sony (or any speaker/sound bar, etc) is kind of pointless. Manufacturers don't hold to any standards on the way they publish specs and most of the specs published are meaningless.

What the Pioneer brings to the table is design by Andrew Jones. This includes
1. Dedicated amplifiers and (this is big) crossovers for each of the drivers. Most soundbars and many HTIB's use a single amplifier for all and no crossover allowing all drivers to run full range.
2. Speaker bar and woofer are designed to work together. This is also an afterthought with most soundbars and HTIB's. The typical soundbar / woofer combination may be missing between one and one and one half octaves of sound in the mid-bass area. Of six sound bars that I either own or have owned, this was true on all but one including a very expensive model ($ 1,600) from a well known company famous for their sound equipment.
3. Wood cabinet. This may not sound like much, but could do wonders in reducing the built-in resonances of most plastic or metal enclosures. Downside - not as modern looking. Harder to do good looking design at a reasonable cost when using wood.

Of course, all of that may mean absolutely nothing in the real world. I have owned an expensive speaker/sound bar from one mid-fi company that sells equipment at hi-fi prices which is usually worth the investment. I have also listened extensively to soundbars from two companies renowned for their stand alone speakers. All three had many sonic limitations. I also heard a much less expensive sound bar (now discontinued) from a renowned speaker company that may have been the best I have ever heard.

I have ordered the Pioneer and will give an opinion on its sound when received. I have a number of soundbars on hand with which to compare. Would like to come up with a fair way to compare to my music system, but that presents a number of obstacles for a fair comparison.

David

My apologies as I did not mean to hi-jack the thread, just a response to the person asking about the Pioneer. With one exception, every Sony soundbar I have had the pleasure to set up or deal with always had very good sound. And that is not some type of left-handed compliment. Another plus, Sony's equipment is always easy to set up to get the most out of it.

David Freeman
post #15 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Comparing specs between the Pioneer and Sony (or any speaker/sound bar, etc) is kind of pointless. Manufacturers don't hold to any standards on the way they publish specs and most of the specs published are meaningless.

What the Pioneer brings to the table is design by Andrew Jones. This includes
1. Dedicated amplifiers and (this is big) crossovers for each of the drivers. Most soundbars and many HTIB's use a single amplifier for all and no crossover allowing all drivers to run full range.
2. Speaker bar and woofer are designed to work together. This is also an afterthought with most soundbars and HTIB's. The typical soundbar / woofer combination may be missing between one and one and one half octaves of sound in the mid-bass area. Of six sound bars that I either own or have owned, this was true on all but one including a very expensive model ($ 1,600) from a well known company famous for their sound equipment.
3. Wood cabinet. This may not sound like much, but could do wonders in reducing the built-in resonances of most plastic or metal enclosures. Downside - not as modern looking. Harder to do good looking design at a reasonable cost when using wood.

Of course, all of that may mean absolutely nothing in the real world. I have owned an expensive speaker/sound bar from one mid-fi company that sells equipment at hi-fi prices which is usually worth the investment. I have also listened extensively to soundbars from two companies renowned for their stand alone speakers. All three had many sonic limitations. I also heard a much less expensive sound bar (now discontinued) from a renowned speaker company that may have been the best I have ever heard.

I have ordered the Pioneer and will give an opinion on its sound when received. I have a number of soundbars on hand with which to compare. Would like to come up with a fair way to compare to my music system, but that presents a number of obstacles for a fair comparison.

David

My apologies as I did not mean to hi-jack the thread, just a response to the person asking about the Pioneer. With one exception, every Sony soundbar I have had the pleasure to set up or deal with always had very good sound. And that is not some type of left-handed compliment. Another plus, Sony's equipment is always easy to set up to get the most out of it.

The HT-CT660 is actually made with wood speaker enclosures that are inside a plastic and metal shell. Also I agree about the subwoofers just being thrown in, but thats not the case with the HT-CT260 and HT-CT660. Both soundbars have down firing ported subs that truly sound amazing for their size. The HT-CT660's subwoofer is surprisingly heavier than any of the other soundbar subwoofers. And dont worry about hi-jacking the thread. As of now, the pioneer is the only competition the HT-CT660 has.
post #16 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

The HT-CT660 is actually made with wood speaker enclosures that are inside a plastic and metal shell. Also I agree about the subwoofers just being thrown in, but thats not the case with the HT-CT260 and HT-CT660. Both soundbars have down firing ported subs that truly sound amazing for their size. The HT-CT660's subwoofer is surprisingly heavier than any of the other soundbar subwoofers. And dont worry about hi-jacking the thread. As of now, the pioneer is the only competition the HT-CT660 has.

I don't get your last sentence at all... Not trying to hi jack or change the subject but, you actually think there is no competition for the 600?
Have you heard all the other SB's?
post #17 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Same boat as you Milt!

Also sorry for the hi-jack but as its seems that more than a few of us are temporarily on the soundbar fence until we can hear the Pioneer for ourselves, I thought it would be appropriate to share this link to a review by someone who HAS heard it. Keep in mind that Brent has reviewed over 60 soundbars before listening to the Pioneer.

Andrew Jones speaker bar for Pioneer - a review by Brent Butterworth of Sound and Vision Magazine
post #18 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't get your last sentence at all... Not trying to hi jack or change the subject but, you actually think there is no competition for the 600?
Have you heard all the other SB's?

Sorry I should have said for this price bracket. Yes you can get better sound spending over twice as much, but for the $500 and under sound bars it sounds the best. And yes, I have demoed most of the other ones.
post #19 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 13
How's the dialogue clarity for movies at lower volume? Do you have to turn the volume up and down to balance loud action scenes vs. dialogue scenes in order to hear dialogue?
post #20 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

UFO, I think we all, or at least most of us knew you were talking about "for the price".
Anyway, I've been looking at this one, the upcoming Pioneer and the Panny HTB770 as it actually has a center channel.

Even though the Pioneer will likely be the best one as far as fidelity, I'm looking for a sound bar that's main job will be TV and an occasional Blu-ray.
My cable box has an extra HDMI out so I'm thinking that in order to get 3.1 I need a sound bar with HDMI inputs since displays only pass 2.0.

Your picture illustrating the difference in subwoofers between the 260 and the 660 are great. Thanks.

For me, it's a surprisingly hard decision given the number of sound bars available at this price range.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #21 of 60 Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Sorry I should have said for this price bracket. Yes you can get better sound spending over twice as much, but for the $500 and under sound bars it sounds the best. And yes, I have demoed most of the other ones.

I wouldn't let price be a determining factor as I have owned a "Sound Projector" costing more than three times the cost of either the new Sony or the new Pioneer when available that was bested for sonic clarity by both a Sony CT-100 ( $ 150.00 when new) as well as a Vizio SB200 ( $ 79.00). I have also had a number of listening sessions with units from both KEF & B&W that left me underwhelmed. Maybe with sufficient time and source material I could change my mind as the sonic signature of neither of these even reminded me of their floor standing speakers.

I like what I am hearing about the Sony in that it sounds good on music. I have searched for at least eight years looking for something that would also allow music to be reproduced as in a decent hi-fi system. Not looking for anywhere near the sonic accuracy of a well balanced hi-fi which should approach the sound of live music. So far, nothing in a soundbar even close. This is usually a result in the crossovers, or lack thereof, and the integration between the woofer and other speakers.

David Freeman
post #22 of 60 Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I wouldn't let price be a determining factor as I have owned a "Sound Projector" costing more than three times the cost of either the new Sony or the new Pioneer when available that was bested for sonic clarity by both a Sony CT-100 ( $ 150.00 when new) as well as a Vizio SB200 ( $ 79.00). I have also had a number of listening sessions with units from both KEF & B&W that left me underwhelmed. Maybe with sufficient time and source material I could change my mind as the sonic signature of neither of these even reminded me of their floor standing speakers.

I like what I am hearing about the Sony in that it sounds good on music. I have searched for at least eight years looking for something that would also allow music to be reproduced as in a decent hi-fi system. Not looking for anywhere near the sonic accuracy of a well balanced hi-fi which should approach the sound of live music. So far, nothing in a soundbar even close. This is usually a result in the crossovers, or lack thereof, and the integration between the woofer and other speakers.

Well I can assure you the HT-CT660 sounds amazing with stereo music. I was listening to "Hotel California" by the Eagles yesterday and it sounded just like the Bose system in my car. Very balanced with extreme clarity that allowed you to hear all the background instruments.
post #23 of 60 Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

hidef1099, thanks a lot.

I bought the HT-CT660 a little over a week ago and was going to return it and buy the Pioneer.
I spent tonite packing it up.

Then I see your post on the Pioneer thread saying you didn't all that much difference between the 2.
So thanks a lot pal;)

Honestly, I don't expect much from a sound bar, don't want to spend much and was actually getting to like the Sony better after tweaking the sub controls a bit.
The price diff is negligible like $50.
I'm thinking I may just not F with it an keep the Sony.

post #24 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The main reason i don't get one of those systems mentioned is because I don't want to run wires across each all of my townhouse. Im currently looking at the Vizio S4251w-B4 or the Sony HTCT660. If you guys recommend something like this i'll look into it.

I am in the same position you are in. Having listened to both setups, it really comes down to what you are going to connect to it.

The VIZIO ONLY has 1 OPTICAL, and 1 COAXIAL(plus red and white analog), for 5.1 DD/DTS surround sound, and that is it. And this is really the only way to get TRUE DD/DTS 5.1 sound from a cablebox, or Blu-Ray because for most people(not all), when you run the optical out from your tv to ANY soundbar, it is "usually" lowered to 2.0 STEREO ONLY. So you would have to run directly from the cable box, and/or Blu-Ray to really use the VIZIO set to it's full potential.

The VIZIO sounded a little "muddy" when I heard it, but I would have to get it home, calibrate it, to really tell. The Sony sounded much better at Best Buy. Crisper/Cleaner. But it is only 2.1. But it does have 3 HDMI inputs as well.

VIZIO new soundbar should be coming out in a month. "Supposedly" the new 54" version that is on the way has HDMI input, as well as OPTICAL, and COAXIAL. But that is way to big for my TV stand.

I think I will try the VIZIO. I will be only connecting a STB with COAXIAL for 5.1, plus a PS4 with OPTICAL for Blu-Ray, and the apps it will have(Netflix/Amazon/VUDU/MLB.TV/Etc...) for 5.1 from those sources(when available), and that will handle my 5.1 needs.

The SONY DOES sound better IMHO, but the 5.1 of the VIZIO makes it super appealing. Also considering you do not have to run wires all over the place to get it. Just from the SUB to the two rear speakers. And since the SUB is WIRELESS, you can just move it to the back of the room somewhere. And if you need longer cords for the Rear speakers, they look like just plain old RCA cords. You can buy 2 separate ones, 25ft in length, from Monoprice for like $6 total, for the added length. just go there and look to see what suits your needs.
post #25 of 60 Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Important bulletin. smile.gif
I had boxed up my CT660 all set to return and realized how much my Panasonic built-in speakers sucked.
F it. Hooked it up again today and for what I'm expecting, it sounds great.
One thing the Sony's have is connectivity options, all of them.
Plus everything works like it is supposed to.
Done.

post #26 of 60 Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Anybody knows what's new in the updated Sony HT-CT260H?

Thanks!
post #27 of 60 Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Sony simply added a single HDMI input on the bar for the 'H' version.
post #28 of 60 Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMxB View Post

Sony simply added a single HDMI input on the bar for the 'H' version.

Thank you for your reply, JDMxB. And yes, you're right, that seems to be the only difference on the new model.
post #29 of 60 Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
the 260 is $280cdn in Canada right now, and the 660 is $499.

Seems bit steep to me no? I would pay $100 more for the 660, but $220?

For those who have the 660 and have tested blurays in both compressed and uncompresssed formats....is there a noticable difference? That to me is the big feature I see in the 660 but I want to see if its worth it or hype on a soundbar.
post #30 of 60 Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 AM

Bestbuy.com has the 660 for 249.99 + Tax. Couldn't resist getting it especially at that price.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Ct660 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page