LG 3530 out of Panny S60 series-only getting PCM2 0.0 sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Brand new to soundbars and have a problem.

I recently bought a Panny S60 series plasma and was unhappy with the tv sound so I went yesterday and bought the LG3530 SB. I'm feeding the tv from a DirecTV Genie via HDMI, then to the LG using the optical out, the only connection that the LG offers.

The LG sounds fine and the subwoofer plays. It supposedly can decode DD and DTS but when I put on a recorded movie from HBO that says broadcast in DD5.1, PCM2 0.0 is displayed.

I've tried both HDMI inputs on the tv, Turned the Genie DD on and off and changed HDMI cables and nothing helps.

The Genie doesn't have a toslink optical output but does have a coax, or I would go directly to the LG, bypassing the tv.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
The Panny TV will only output 2 ch. PCM from source devices connected to the TV. If your Genie has digital coax out, all you need is a converter for coax to optical. Here's an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379610068&sr=8-2&keywords=coax+to+toslink
Patrick Murphy likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

The Panny TV will only output 2 ch. PCM from source devices connected to the TV. If your Genie has digital coax out, all you need is a converter for coax to optical. Here's an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379610068&sr=8-2&keywords=coax+to+toslink

Thank you for your expertise. I also posted this in the Plasma forum and believe that the consensus was that I'm fine with the PCM.

I also did some more digging after my post and found the same converter that you linked to. So, I guess that I have that option down the line.

Thanks again, you were most helpful.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How does the LG sound? I'm thinking about getting that one myself.

Chris
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post

How does the LG sound? I'm thinking about getting that one myself.

Chris

Hi,

First, I have never owned a sound bar before and just wanted one to improve the 0n-board speakers in my new Panasonic Plasma tv. It did that exceedingly well, but maybe just about anything would have been an improvement.

I think it sounds fine. Voices are clear and easy to understand. The sub fills nicely and although I haven't used it for any Blu-ray movies to really test it, I have watched some sat box action movies and it keeps up well. Never noticed any lack of bass. Of course, it can't compare to a full blown HT system, but I didn't expect it to.

I did a lot of research on SB's and there are just so many, that I was lost until I seen this post on the new Pioneer 'game changer' thread;
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frank View Post

I can relate to what the Pioneer designer is doing but for my money, I'd go with a complete 5.1 or 7.1 system and spend a bit more.

Having said that, just got the LG NB3530A for the bedroom. Wow, what a fine system and what a tremendous value at $199.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1487290/pioneer-speaker-bar-possible-game-changer/60

and then this post later on in the same thread (after I had bought it);
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdude View Post

Cool. So go try the sb-1 since you haven't heard it and you will like it much more. I have heard every soundbar in retail and the klipsch sounds a lot better. Price wise it is more expensive but I bring it up because of the hype of this pioneer soundbar. The 2013 LG soundbar that's currently on sale for $199 is on par with the pioneer if $400 is out of someone's range or for someone who is skeptical. As always, just go to best buy to try it out. Even better just buy the ones you are considering and return the loser.

I bought it at BB B+M store and they had it marked at $269, but I told them it was $199 online and also at Amazon, no problem.

You might want to start a new thread and ask your question of more experienced folks who've heard the LG and many other SB's, for a better comparison.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE

I ordered a Coax to Toslink converter and went directly from the Genie to the LG soundbar and now I'm very happy. Soundbar now shows DD 3/2.0 on the display and IMO, sounds better. More detail and crisper. May be placebo effect, but that's my story.

Tags
Lg Electronics Nb3530a Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer And Bluetooth