Can I get the sound I want without a receiver? - AVS Forum
Soundbars > Can I get the sound I want without a receiver?
rrrrrrrrr's Avatar rrrrrrrrr 07:12 PM 09-24-2013
Hello,

I recently purchased these items to replace my current living room setup:

Sharp 70" LED TV Model: LC-70LE550U
Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System $299
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray Player

My plan was to hook up the TV to the cable box, Blu-ray player, and AppleTV by HDMI. Then I would hook the TV up to the soundbar by optical audio cable. The sound from each of the devices would end up coming out of the soundbar.

As it turns out, the equipment was installed while I was at work, and the installers said that my planned setup was a no-go. They said that my model of TV can't output optical audio from HDMI Inputs.

My whole plan was to have great (to my ears) sound from all sources without the need for extra equipment like a receiver. I like things simple to look at and very very easy to use.

Is this an issue with settings, or some sort of hardware limitation that I didn't foresee? Any help from the experts is greatly appreciated.

NAIM101's Avatar NAIM101 08:17 PM 09-24-2013
Did you try co-axial? Sony Blu-ray player has downstream PCM and has optical and co-axal inputs. When you want to watch movies throgh your Blu-ray player set the setting on your Sony player to Downstream PCM and plug your sony soundbar directly to the Sony Bluray player NOT your T.V.

Same with your Apple TV. Just keep switching back and forth whichever source you want to watch.
rrrrrrrrr's Avatar rrrrrrrrr 09:30 PM 09-24-2013

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to not have to fuss with unplugging / plugging in / switching cables when I switch from blue-ray to cable to AppleTV. I would like it all to "just work" without all that. Am I too optimistic?

NAIM101's Avatar NAIM101 09:49 PM 09-24-2013
Plug in your soundbar through the digital optical to your TV and goto your TV's audio options.. what options do you have available?
Possumgirl's Avatar Possumgirl 12:41 PM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrrrrr View Post

Hello,

I recently purchased these items to replace my current living room setup:

Sharp 70" LED TV Model: LC-70LE550U
Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System $299
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray Player

My plan was to hook up the TV to the cable box, Blu-ray player, and AppleTV by HDMI. Then I would hook the TV up to the soundbar by optical audio cable. The sound from each of the devices would end up coming out of the soundbar.

As it turns out, the equipment was installed while I was at work, and the installers said that my planned setup was a no-go. They said that my model of TV can't output optical audio from HDMI Inputs.

My whole plan was to have great (to my ears) sound from all sources without the need for extra equipment like a receiver. I like things simple to look at and very very easy to use.

Is this an issue with settings, or some sort of hardware limitation that I didn't foresee? Any help from the experts is greatly appreciated.

The installer was right. If you look at your owner's manual for the TV, where it shows connections, it clearly says the optical out does not work for source devices connected to the TV via HDMI. You could use analog though to connect to the soundbar.

Is your soundbar a 260 or a 260H? The H version has one HDMI in and one out. If you have the H version, you can connect the blu ray player directly to the soundbar via HDMI and run an additional cable to the TV for video. Your other option is connecting the BD player to the TV and additionally connect it to the soundbar using a coax to optical converter.
Tags: Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sharp Aquos Lc Le550u Led Hdtv , Sony Htct260 Sound Bar Home Theater System
Up
Mobile  Desktop