Do I need 5.1 sound bar to play 5.1 video files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all.

I have a TV that I want to use a sound-bar with until I can afford to get a full in-wall speaker setup. (figure at least a year or so).

90% of the TV usage is a ROKU box using PLEX to stream video files from a home server. Most all the video files are in 5.1 Dolby or similar. Will this work with a 2.1 channel sound-bar? I am not knowledgeable in this area but I read a review on a particular 2.1 channel sound bar and they user said they had to re-sample all his files to hear any sound, which I want to avoid.

So the question is do I need a 5.1 channel bar or will 2.1 work? Also do you have a recommendation in around the $300 range?

Many thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's impossible to get 5.1 from a 2.1 soundbar but I don't think that's the issue you're concerned with. I think it depends on what the audio format is and if the soundbar can play them. That may also depend on the source and what format it's outputting. I just got the Yamaha YAS-101 for my bedroom setup with a separate subwoofer I already had. I've had no issues as of yet playing my mkv files with either 5.1 or DTS audio through my WDTV.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quick & Dirty fix. Most TV's only put out 2-ch from external sources such as Roku or your PC no matter the format from the source. If you connect the soundbar direct to your TV you have zero issues. You can usually change your sources to PCM which will also resolve any issues.

Some sound bars are able to take a 5.1 input and simulate a 5.1 output via less than 5 channels.

David

David Freeman
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have my Directv and WDTV connected to the soundbar and yes it simulates 5.1. It sounded crappy when the soundbar was connected to the tv digital out.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I have my Directv and WDTV connected to the soundbar and yes it simulates 5.1. It sounded crappy when the soundbar was connected to the tv digital out.

Me too. I bought a Coax to Toslink converter to go directly from the DirecTV to a LG soundbar and Dolby Digital and the sound was considerably better than the PCM out from my Panny Plasma. Cost less than $15 with a 3' Coax cable, delivered. Money very well spent.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Me too. I bought a Coax to Toslink converter to go directly from the DirecTV to a LG soundbar and Dolby Digital and the sound was considerably better than the PCM out from my Panny Plasma. Cost less than $15 with a 3' Coax cable, delivered. Money very well spent.

What's the difference between doing this or hdmi with arc?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page