Soundbars that will work inside a drywall niche - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am placing the great room TV above the fireplace and the sound bar above the TV. I have a niche constructed in the drywall for the sound bar. I am getting cabinet work done like the image below. The speakers won't be open like this, but will be covered by speaker cloth. (This is a photoshopped image, my cabinet work will be identical, however the TV and the speaker are just photshopped). My actual cabinet is not built yet, the drywall is up.

I understand the problems with the TV being high and the sound bar even higher. This is more of an aesthetic setup rather than technical. I will have my home theater for serious viewing.

I would like to get a sound bar with a built-in subwoofer (I know another compromise). I had narrowed it down to the Yamaha YAS-101BL . It's got decent reviews in Amazon. Has built-in subwoofer. Has audio delay control for lip sync issues.

(http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101BL-Front-Surround-System/dp/B005IVUWHW)

Will this work placed inside a drywall. Any potential problems? Bass boom? other audio issues? Has anyone done something similar or advice on which subwoofer will work for my needs.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No the Yamaha won't work because it's ported on the sides and bottom.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

No the Yamaha won't work because it's ported on the sides and bottom.

Thanks! I guess it has to be front ported hah (I found a rear ported) ?
post #4 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The other issue is if the walls are 2 x 4 construction you only have 4" of depth, you also have wires out the rear of the sound bar.You could have that area built outward a little further. If you're set on a sound bar you're probably gonna have to go with a separate wired or wireless sub. I have the Yamaha in my bedroom with a separate wired sub.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The other issue is if the walls are 2 x 4 construction you only have 4" of depth, you also have wires out the rear of the sound bar.You could have that area built outward a little further. If you're set on a sound bar you're probably gonna have to go with a separate wired or wireless sub. I have the Yamaha in my bedroom with a separate wired sub.

The fireplace is protruding into the great room and thus the niche is very deep. Can easily accommodate most soundbars. I am not worried about the space. I am not worried about running wires either, I've tied strings from the niche to the TV location.

I am really trying to avoid subs for aesthetic concerns. With the option of adding it later.

post #6 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending on how the fireplace is vented you have plenty of room. I wouldn't worry about a sub too much unless you find yourself watching it more often than not.Besides it looks like you'll be running the sound bar directly to the TV, I prefer sound bar connected to the source it sounds better. I hope they aren't leaving the job site like that at the end of the day, I do that for a living and it's one of my demands on every job site. There are several reasons for it but my customers and myself would freak out if that was done.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Depending on how the fireplace is vented you have plenty of room. I wouldn't worry about a sub too much unless you find yourself watching it more often than not.Besides it looks like you'll be running the sound bar directly to the TV, I prefer sound bar connected to the source it sounds better. I hope they aren't leaving the job site like that at the end of the day, I do that for a living and it's one of my demands on every job site. There are several reasons for it but my customers and myself would freak out if that was done.

They warned me the drywall stage will be messy. It's much better now. The site even though not cluttered is still very messy. I assumed its part of construction. Really happy with the build though.

There is a conduit from the tv to the av closet that will be inside the built in to the right of the fireplace. So, I could run a wire from the av rack to the tv location and continue it on to the speaker niche via the ropes I tied. So I could do direct connections.

Anyone with any recommendations for a soundbar that could work here?' Anyone anticipating major issues putting a soundbar inside the niche.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya it's messy but they should still clean up at least somewhat at the end of the day. I don't see any issues with a sound bar in general. The Yamaha you can turn off the subwoofer like I did adding my separate sub. You can always try it with the sub on it's not like it provides booming bass.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ya it's messy but they should still clean up at least somewhat at the end of the day. I don't see any issues with a sound bar in general. The Yamaha you can turn off the subwoofer like I did adding my separate sub. You can always try it with the sub on it's not like it provides booming bass.

Thanks!... I didn't know I can just turn off the sub if it becomes a problem. That would certainly work, awesome!
post #10 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post

Thanks!... I didn't know I can just turn off the sub if it becomes a problem. That would certainly work, awesome!

I turned mine off because with a separate sub you have to, it only provides a signal to one or the other, I would assume you can still turn it off even if you don't have a separate sub plugged in. I think you'll be fine with it on, you can just turn down the sub on the sound bar. It controls the volume on my external sub so I would think it you can control the volume on the internal sub.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I turned mine off because with a separate sub you have to, it only provides a signal to one or the other, I would assume you can still turn it off even if you don't have a separate sub plugged in. I think you'll be fine with it on, you can just turn down the sub on the sound bar. It controls the volume on my external sub so I would think it you can control the volume on the internal sub.

Thanks!
post #12 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Atlantic Technology Powerbar 235.
post #13 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

Atlantic Technology Powerbar 235.

Thanks, that does sound interesting.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 43
Do what I'm going to do. You really want that sound down lower so dialogue and voices are clear and more in front of you.

0f0ff529_image.jpeg

Also, the new Pioneer sound bar is very impressive. I listened to it at Best Buy most of the time with the included sub "off"! It sounds that good just as a bar by iteself! You need to take a listen. Also, the included wireless sub is the smallest sub I've ever seen. It's super small, like only 10" high, so if you did want to use it, it could be hidden easily.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #15 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

That is an excellent design in keeping the sound lower to where it should be. I was worried about heat in that location. Also these mantles are buil out to accommodate the speaker. I really don't want to have such a thick mantle.

I will look into the pioneer soundbar as well. Thank you!
post #16 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:

That is an excellent design in keeping the sound lower to where it should be. I was worried about heat in that location. Also these mantles are buil out to accommodate the speaker. I really don't want to have such a thick mantle.

I will look into the pioneer soundbar as well. Thank you!

Also, the Pioneer isn't ported anywhere, which is good in both of our cases.

What's I'm going to do is make a rectangle, cover it with white grille cloth, then hide the cut with wood trim in the middle, this is common on a lot of mantles, example.

900x900px-LL-ab502a64_6a00e54f8e2c4388330112791726e128a4-800wi.jpeg

mine... yet to perform the surgery...
900x900px-LL-a43049d8_photo2.jpeg

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #17 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Where you've marked your cut out won't work for my setup. There is a metal shield there. Hope you know what's behind yours

post #18 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Yep. Your firebox looks exactly like mine! I have those triangle pieces at the top, but there is no middle piece in the middle. I've seen plenty of these and have never seen that piece. Maybe it's not needed?

In mine I made shelf that sits on top of the triangle pieces. That firebox is completely sealed and doesn't generate heat above those triangle pieces. The only heat comes out of the front of the actual fireplace. I've had this setup for 6 years with my components inside it and even measured the temp and barely increases. See my video here, and you can see where I have a ton of room for the sound bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyhDD4Ja8A

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #19 of 27 Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Yep. Your firebox looks exactly like mine! I have those triangle pieces at the top, but there is no middle piece in the middle. I've seen plenty of these and have never seen that piece. Maybe it's not needed?

In mine I made shelf that sits on top of the triangle pieces. That firebox is completely sealed and doesn't generate heat above those triangle pieces. The only heat comes out of the front of the actual fireplace. I've had this setup for 6 years with my components inside it and even measured the temp and barely increases. See my video here, and you can see where I have a ton of room for the sound bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyhDD4Ja8A

That's awesome.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I am placing the great room TV above the fireplace and the sound bar above the TV. I have a niche constructed in the drywall for the sound bar. I am getting cabinet work done like the image below. The speakers won't be open like this, but will be covered by speaker cloth. (This is a photoshopped image, my cabinet work will be identical, however the TV and the speaker are just photshopped). My actual cabinet is not built yet, the drywall is up.

I understand the problems with the TV being high and the sound bar even higher. This is more of an aesthetic setup rather than technical. I will have my home theater for serious viewing.

I would like to get a sound bar with a built-in subwoofer (I know another compromise). I had narrowed it down to the Yamaha YAS-101BL . It's got decent reviews in Amazon. Has built-in subwoofer. Has audio delay control for lip sync issues.

(http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101BL-Front-Surround-System/dp/B005IVUWHW)

Will this work placed inside a drywall. Any potential problems? Bass boom? other audio issues? Has anyone done something similar or advice on which subwoofer will work for my needs.

Thanks!

I have not read up on this but take a look. It's listed as inwall.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=by_series&id=37&sr=1

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #21 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah! I came across them too, but are out of my price range. I want to keep it around $400 and those are well over a thousand
post #22 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Yeah! I came across them too, but are out of my price range. I want to keep it around $400 and those are well over a thousand

Yes, I'll bet those are not cheap.

Our James SPL39LCR will be here tomorrow for sitting room. Very excited...

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #23 of 27 Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 AM

updates?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #24 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 PM

This guy did something pretty cool with the new Pioneer speaker bar:

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #25 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I make a niche exactly the size of the soundbar, then I'll be tied to that soundbar alone. By leaving a larger space and covering it up with speaker cloth allows me to use any sound bar, and may be even a center channel. But the picture is very cool. By basement tv will be set like this picture here surrounded by tile work. I won't have any speakers for that TV though.

The work is progressing very slowly, once it's completed in a couple of months, I'll post some images.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't care for it all and as pcarfan said I wouldn't make the niche the exact size nor for the TV for that matter.
post #27 of 27 Old 11-24-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

updates?

I wanted a 52" wide space for the TV area so I can mount the Panasonic 55" VT plasma. They built it smaller and now they have to rip this whole thing out and redo.

Also, I've decided to get the JBL SB200 soundbar and not the Yamaha. The JBL also has the built-in subwoofer but it can stream music from iphone via Bluetooth as well.

I will post how it looks once they complete and paint it and then after I move in and mount the TV
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page