Soundbar for large room (24' x 40') - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm having a bit of a problem finding a soundbar that will work for a large room. Before you tell me there are other options like a $100k system with vacuum tubes and 1000 speakers; I appreciate your input, but please stick to the topic :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
What do you mean work? You mean fill a space that large so you can have the tv at one end and enjoy full sound at the other of that huge room? IMHO never listen to a recommendation for anything with tubes these days....and 1000 speakers aren't necessary, but a couple subs and a 7 channel setup could do well and for far less than 100k. smile.gif

post #3 of 9 Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is this a trick question?
Janibrewski likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 10
Atlantic Technology FS-5000 or Leon Speakers Horizon 616 (or the Ultima).

Kipa
post #5 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I am currently using the new Pioneer Speaker Bar in a room 65' x 30' with 16' vaulted ceilings. I can hear and understand voices in my kitchen, about 55' from the actual speaker bar with zero issues. I live in a condo and have no idea how loud this thing will actually play, no knob that I can turn up to eleven. However, I do know it will fill this area with as much sound as I want. Until my wife tells me to turn it down, we might be disturbing the neighbors.

David Freeman
post #6 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
How does it do with a movie? Music? Man that is one huge room....in a condo? Yikes. There's no volume control, though?

post #7 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

How does it do with a movie? Music? Man that is one huge room....in a condo? Yikes. There's no volume control, though?

You have to picture he's has a combination area and I'm sure it has a volume control it just doesn't show visually what the level is at.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It is one huge area. Starts with the living area about 23' w by 25' long. Flows into the dining area about 28' w by 20' long. Ends with the kitchen about 20' w by 20' long.

It actually feels more open than the measurements suggest since there is a 16' vaulted ceiling for the entire length. 6' wide picture windows at one end of the living area flanked by a corner fireplace and my corner custom built entertainment center. Next to the entertainment center is 8' wide doors leading to the sunroom which is surrounded by windows. Next to the dining area is an 8' entrance to my office and playroom for my grandchildren which includes another 6' window. Both master and guest bedroom are directly off of the open area at opposite ends of the condo as is the guest bath. The openness is what sold us on this and we have been quite happy. I was actually happier until I became treasurer of the homeowners' association three years ago. Managing our money is almost like real work. Half the people don't think we spend enough and the other half think that we throw their money in the fireplace and burn it to keep warm.

By the way, the speaker bar does have a volume control. However, there are no indicators on the speaker bar itself to let you know where you are as far as maximum and minimum volume. This is really not an issue. We control the sound bar and our new Panasonic ZT60 television with a Logitech Harmony remote (as well as blu-ray, Tivo and a DVD player user for music playback only.

Somehow, I have lost the ability to post photos or I would be glad to show off my handiwork with the cabinet and the rest of the home.

David Freeman
post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Pioneer speaker bar - performance
Music - first small speaker that I could sincerely listen to music and enjoy for listening, not just background noise. Very natural and clean. I have heard nothing bad which I consider high praise.
Movies - dynamic - picks up lots of nuance in a sound track
TV - I usually set the speaker to the dialog or voice mode and it does an excellent job of making dialog understandable and keeping background noises minimal

You can read more of my impressions and others in the Pioneer Speaker Bar thread.

There are many positives and a few negatives when it comes to a speaker or sound bar. You should take one home and listen to it in you own environment to make a decent decision.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Atlantic Technology Fs 5000 Glb Home Theater Soundbar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page