Need help! How do I connect my annoying TV to a sound bar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just bought a Samsung SPN4235 from craiglist and it doesn't have an internal speaker!:mad:

So I think I have to buy a sound bar, but the problem is this annoying TV only has a pair of 8 ohm speaker outputs (L-R)and a line-level subwoofer out (monaural), so can I connect the sound bar to a comcast cable box?(which has the red/white rca output)

Another problem is that how do I connect WII or XBOX into this weird system pls?

Waiting eagerly for help, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Easiest way would be to buy a pair of speakers (as oppose to a soundbar) and hook it up to your TV and have all your devices connect to the TV. Do you have to have a soundbar?

The soundbar is doable but a lot of trouble if you want to hook up many devices because 1) soundbars don't have as many inputs as TVs or Receivers and 2) yes you can connect all the audio from your devices (cable box, WII, Xbox) to the soundbar but most likely you're going to then also have to run separate feeds from your devices to the TV for the video. That's unless you find a soundbar with 3 HDMI inputs and an HDMI out which would go into your TV...you may be spending more for that type of soundbar than you would like to.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwaiting View Post

Easiest way would be to buy a pair of speakers (as oppose to a soundbar) and hook it up to your TV and have all your devices connect to the TV. Do you have to have a soundbar?

The soundbar is doable but a lot of trouble if you want to hook up many devices because 1) soundbars don't have as many inputs as TVs or Receivers and 2) yes you can connect all the audio from your devices (cable box, WII, Xbox) to the soundbar but most likely you're going to then also have to run separate feeds from your devices to the TV for the video. That's unless you find a soundbar with 3 HDMI inputs and an HDMI out which would go into your TV...you may be spending more for that type of soundbar than you would like to.

Hi Hwaiting

Thanks for the advice, but how do I connect any speaker with the 8 ohm speaker outputs pls?

It just looks really complicated.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The main issue is you bought an older TV that doesn't have the connections needed. Speaker wire terminals are color coded red and black just connect each wire to each color. Have the TV off. I assume you have the Wii, Xbox and Comcast video hooked up?

Personally I'd get a sound bar with the required audio connections rather than speakers.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Xbox you'll have to get the component adapter and use the component and analog audio connections, same thing goes for a cable box use the component and analog connection, for the Wii use composite with analog audio.

component - 3 cables, red, green and blue
composite - 1 cable, yellow
analog audio - 2 cables red, white

For the speakers you can get a passive sound bar and connect it to the 8 ohm speaker connections. There are a few stereo sound bars that don't have the center speaker but they are not as common and it will be easier to find one with three speakers and just not use the center and connect only the left and right speakers on it.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If you have a Comcast Digital Tuner, use either the Digital or Analog Jacks to connect to the soundbar directly.

If you have multiple devices, go to Monoprice and get an analog audio input selector for the number of devices that you own.

Most active soundbars come with at least one digital and one analog input. Do the Wii and Xbox have analog out?

Do not connect anything to the speaker connectors from the TV. This is probably an expensive repair bill waiting to happen.

This is similar to what I mean by an A/B/C/D switch that could accomondate everything in your system.
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/1500313_PM_EN.pdf

How do your devices connect to the TV. What type of inputs are available there?

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Spn4235 42 Inch Widescreen Plasma Flat Panel Hd Ready Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page