Vizio S5430w-C2 - 54" soundbar with 3 channel - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Soundbars > Vizio S5430w-C2 - 54" soundbar with 3 channel

Soundbars

Raven Crimson's Avatar Raven Crimson
05:21 PM Liked: 24
post #61 of 88
04-04-2014 | Posts: 378
Hey guys, when you add a powered sub, does it turn off the internal one? I ask because the internal ones are absolute garbage.
nathan_h's Avatar nathan_h
04:46 PM Liked: 102
post #62 of 88
04-07-2014 | Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Hey guys, when you add a powered sub, does it turn off the internal one? I ask because the internal ones are absolute garbage.

That's a real good question.

One would hope that the crossover gets set in such a way that you never reach the lower frequency or output limit of the soundbar and send all that energy (perhaps below 120hz?) to the sub.
07:02 AM Liked: 24
post #63 of 88
04-08-2014 | Posts: 378
Well, the soundbar has a bass setting which can basically eliminate almost all audible bass at it's lowest settings. I did this with my Yamaha sub and works well.m All bass is now coming from the sub. Too bad the sub is very finicky with placement, as in regardless oif where I put it in my room, I lose the vast majority of the bass in my seating position, and it's super powerful in other areas of the room. Gonna have to return it and hope my next one doesn't have such bad hotspots.
nathan_h's Avatar nathan_h
08:09 AM Liked: 102
post #64 of 88
04-08-2014 | Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Well, the soundbar has a bass setting which can basically eliminate almost all audible bass at it's lowest settings. I did this with my Yamaha sub and works well.m All bass is now coming from the sub. Too bad the sub is very finicky with placement, as in regardless oif where I put it in my room, I lose the vast majority of the bass in my seating position, and it's super powerful in other areas of the room. Gonna have to return it and hope my next one doesn't have such bad hotspots.

It's not a problem with the sub, it's a problem with the relative placement of sub and seat and how they interact in the room. No sub on earth can alter the laws of physics.

You'll have to either move the sub, or seat, or both.

Do a search for the "subwoofer crawl" or "sub crawl" and you will find lots of good info about what is happening, and how to fix it.
01:09 PM Liked: 24
post #65 of 88
04-08-2014 | Posts: 378
Yeah, I noticed... no matter what I do it's the same thing... can't do anything about it. frown.gif
Rogue4x4's Avatar Rogue4x4
11:13 AM Liked: 10
post #66 of 88
05-20-2014 | Posts: 2
Hi, I have the same problem did you ever find a solution?
Thanks
Chuck
Rogue4x4's Avatar Rogue4x4
11:15 AM Liked: 10
post #67 of 88
05-20-2014 | Posts: 2
I see another HDMI a ARC sound bar victim! Any luck with a fix?
Thanks Chuck
Nemmeh's Avatar Nemmeh
07:03 PM Liked: 10
post #68 of 88
05-31-2014 | Posts: 2
I saw a fair amount of you guys were still having problems with ARC so I figured I'd give it a shot on mine today. When I originally installed my sound bar I used the optical cable and everything worked fine, see this post for details.

I swapped out the optical cable and went for HDMI (ARC) today and here are the steps of what it took on my setup to get it working.

For Reference I have...
  • Vizio E701i-A3 television.
  • Vizio s5430w-C2 soundbar.
  • Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote.
  • Scientic Atlantic Cable Box with HDMI-out to HDMI 4 input on tv.
  • ROKU 3 with HDMI-out to HDMI 3 input on tv.
  • All components are hidden in an adjacent closet which is now media closet. All wires fished through wall behind tv.
  • 2 HDMI cables from media closet to back of tv.

Steps
  1. Connect an HDMI cable from HDMI 1 (ARC) on back of the TV to HDMI OUT (ARC) on back of the soundbar.

2. Turn on the TV and go to Menu, then Settings, then CEC Settings.
  3. Enable the CEC function.
  4. Turn ON the System Audio Control.
  5. Click on Device Discovery and ensure Audio System is found.
  6. Ensure the soundbar is set to HDMI 6 (ARC) by using the soundbar remote.
  7. You should now have audio sound coming through the soundbar and the TV speakers have been disabled by default. When you turn up the volume on with the TV remote the soundbar volume should increase.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, hope this helps.

Credit to snoukka for his post & the heads up on CEC needing to be enabled.
Doctego's Avatar Doctego
06:26 AM Liked: 41
post #69 of 88
06-08-2014 | Posts: 747
My mother just got this Vizio TV:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/65in-razor-led-3d-m-series-smart/prod9930017.ip?navAction=push

She lives in a loft apartment with a large living room/dining area/kitchen and high ceilings. She hates the sound from the TV and wants a soundbar. I originally thought that the S4251W-B4 would be good for her but there are 2 potential problems. First, it might look too small under the TV. If it was centered, I don't see this as being a big issue. Second (and most important), the cables for the satellite speakers are too short. I was hoping to be able to hide the speakers in her open ceiling and angle them down. That would require long cables.

That brings me to the S5430w-C2 soundbar. I don't feel that she needs the rear satellite speakers so this soundbar, combined with a sub, might be the way to go for her. Would this be a decent subwoofer to pair with this soundbar:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2#description

If so, I know that I will also need a Y-adapter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Shockwave199's Avatar Shockwave199
01:07 PM Liked: 18
post #70 of 88
06-08-2014 | Posts: 140
You can extend the rca cables with typical rca cable and adapters. It's just rca wires. So if rear speakers would be appreciated, which I think very much are, no problem.
Doctego's Avatar Doctego
06:02 PM Liked: 41
post #71 of 88
06-08-2014 | Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post

You can extend the rca cables with typical rca cable and adapters. It's just rca wires. So if rear speakers would be appreciated, which I think very much are, no problem.

Thanks. It still might not be ideal because her ceilings are high and open and there might not be a way to hide the wires.
06:59 PM Liked: 18
post #72 of 88
06-08-2014 | Posts: 140

Home Depot and the like sells all kinds of wire hiding solutions. But I understand. If you decide to try it, buy it locally, not amazon. This way if anything isn't right or it just doesn't fit the bill, you can return it. But the 5.1 sound bar is nothing short of awesome. If you do try it, it'll be hard to give it up and you'll be figuring out how to make it work, lol.

rc-zombies's Avatar rc-zombies
11:17 AM Liked: 11
post #73 of 88
10-10-2014 | Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmeh View Post
I saw a fair amount of you guys were still having problems with ARC so I figured I'd give it a shot on mine today. When I originally installed my sound bar I used the optical cable and everything worked fine, see this post for details.

I swapped out the optical cable and went for HDMI (ARC) today and here are the steps of what it took on my setup to get it working.

For Reference I have...
  • Vizio E701i-A3 television.
  • Vizio s5430w-C2 soundbar.
  • Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote.
  • Scientic Atlantic Cable Box with HDMI-out to HDMI 4 input on tv.
  • ROKU 3 with HDMI-out to HDMI 3 input on tv.
  • All components are hidden in an adjacent closet which is now media closet. All wires fished through wall behind tv.
  • 2 HDMI cables from media closet to back of tv.
Steps
  1. Connect an HDMI cable from HDMI 1 (ARC) on back of the TV to HDMI OUT (ARC) on back of the soundbar.

2. Turn on the TV and go to Menu, then Settings, then CEC Settings.
  3. Enable the CEC function.
  4. Turn ON the System Audio Control.
  5. Click on Device Discovery and ensure Audio System is found.
  6. Ensure the soundbar is set to HDMI 6 (ARC) by using the soundbar remote.
  7. You should now have audio sound coming through the soundbar and the TV speakers have been disabled by default. When you turn up the volume on with the TV remote the soundbar volume should increase.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, hope this helps.

Credit to snoukka for his post & the heads up on CEC needing to be enabled.
Via optical cable works great... having gone thru your procedure and the manual..still not able to connect via HDMI Arc
I even disconnected the inwall HDMI cables and used the include cables from the 3.0 soundbar..and still no sound.

I have:
I have a ticket with Vizio and see if they can solve the problem.
Hokie1444
10:11 AM Liked: 0
post #74 of 88
10-14-2014 | Posts: 1
Hello Everyone,

I hooked up this soundbar a few days ago and everything was working fine and I was getting loud sound. Yesterday I unplugged the soundbar to move some furniture and when I plugged it back in I noticed the sound of the soundbar had become weakened. What was loud on two led lights before could not be heard anymore. Even when I turn up the volume on the soundbar it sounds like a loud tv and not the dynamic sound I was getting before from the soundbar. I checked my tv speakers were indeed turned off. I called Vizio support and they said it was a volume problem difference betweend the soundbar remote and cable remote based on different volume intervals, but this was not an issue before. Overall the the power of the sound has weakened. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I have the soundbar connected via optical cable.
08:13 PM Liked: 18
post #75 of 88
10-16-2014 | Posts: 140
Make sure your sub is on and firing sound, which will power the rears as well. It may not be paired to the sound bar, since having turned off the whole system recently. Read the manual for how to re-pair the sound bar and sub together. Also check to make sure the sub has volume, done with the remote. Also check to make sure you didn't turn night mode on by mistake, which will attenuate the sub quite a bit- all checked in the remote itself. Make sure surrounds are on and volume is up, checked in the remote as well.

If you have done so initially, you can also try to re-link the tv remote or cable remote to the sound bar- if you did that initially. And if you did, try turning up the volume on your cable or tv remote and see if that brings the volume back up. I have my cable remote linked to my sound bar andI can adjust volume with either remote. If you have linked a TV or cable remote , try turning up the vizio remote and then your cable or tv remote volume too. Maybe that will wake the volume back up. Hope this helps.
patsfan189
03:47 PM Liked: 1
post #76 of 88
10-17-2014 | Posts: 21
A friend of mine bought one of these, I was somewhat impressed for the price. Not bad
tkukoc's Avatar tkukoc
09:04 AM Liked: 10
post #77 of 88
10-25-2014 | Posts: 16
Question I have is how long are the cables that come with it? I would like to get one and place it behind me when watching tv but I'm thinking the cables aren't going to be long enough.
taichi4's Avatar taichi4
10:08 AM Liked: 90
post #78 of 88
10-25-2014 | Posts: 2,411
As Shockwave posted above, you can replace the sub/satellite wires with longer, standard RCA wires and adapters.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46
01:32 PM Liked: 43
post #79 of 88
10-29-2014 | Posts: 355
I am wondering if the 54" model is better than the 42". If appears that the 42" has two center speakers and a tweeter on the left and right front channels. I have issues hearing dialog so I figured more center speakers would be better. I am pairing this with a Vizio 70P in a room with 10' ceilings. I really don't know when I would use the HDMI connections on the SB so that is not important to me.
Gov's Avatar Gov
10:33 AM Liked: 118
post #80 of 88
11-05-2014 | Posts: 3,275
I just purchased an S3820w sound bar and plan on using a Dayton Sub-1200 subwoofer with it. The S5430 and S3820 are more similar than different from everything I have read, so for the people using an external subwoofer with these sound bars, what crossover are you using on the subwoofers? The Dayton has a variable adjustment that goes from 40hz to 140hz. I was thinking of using 110 or 120hz with the 3820. Thanks!
Digital Rules's Avatar Digital Rules
05:18 PM Liked: 14
post #81 of 88
11-05-2014 | Posts: 1,701
My guess would be somewhere between 80 to 100 hz. Your best bet is to experiment with a few different settings to find the most satisfying cutoff for your room.
jomama341
05:29 PM Liked: 0
post #82 of 88
11-26-2014 | Posts: 1
Does anyone know if I can pair this model with the subwoofer/satellite speakers from the 42-Inch 5.1 setup? I want to upgrade to the 54-Inch soundbar without having to get a new sub and satellite speakers. Thanks.
porsche060
10:38 AM Liked: 1
post #83 of 88
11-27-2014 | Posts: 19
Can anyone help?

I have this connected to my Vizio 4K via ARC. Works perfect. Switch to Netflix mode and it continues to work perfect. Switch back to TV mode and no sound! Keeps on doing this..

I have to rediscover device etc.. Getting annoying
warreo
05:49 PM Liked: 0
post #84 of 88
12-10-2014 | Posts: 4
This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to have the soundbar be always on? I've got it hooked up via optical (not sure if it makes a difference) and it sounds great, but it's somewhat of an annoyance to have to separately turn on the soundbar every time I turn on the TV (okay fine, I just have to hit the up volume on my TV remote, but still...).

Ideally I'd like to just have the soundbar always on so it's ready to go as soon as I turn the TV on. I've tried it with Eco Power on and off, doesn't seem to make a difference, the sound bar still shuts itself off after 15 minutes or so of no signal. Maybe it's just not possible, but I figured I'd ask.
Digital Rules's Avatar Digital Rules
06:32 PM Liked: 14
post #85 of 88
12-10-2014 | Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by warreo View Post
Ideally I'd like to just have the soundbar always on so it's ready to go as soon as I turn the TV on.
Your TV actually displays a picture before the sound bar starts playing? I've never had a flat screen that starts up that fast.

I don't think you can make the Vizio stay on all the time.
chuckg1's Avatar chuckg1
07:54 AM Liked: 13
post #86 of 88
12-11-2014 | Posts: 92
Just hook up the sound bar straight from the source (ie. cable set top box).I have a sonos bar that is always on. I use optical out from
the set top box to the sound bar.
warreo
01:34 PM Liked: 0
post #87 of 88
Today | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Your TV actually displays a picture before the sound bar starts playing? I've never had a flat screen that starts up that fast.

I don't think you can make the Vizio stay on all the time.
Not so much the TV starting before the sound bar is the problem, it's more of a "I don't want to hit the volume button separately just to turn on the sound bar" type problem. Very first world problem, I know, and pure laziness, but for anyone wondering, just turn off Eco Power mode and it will stay on forever.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk
02:18 PM Liked: 25
post #88 of 88
Today | Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by warreo View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to have the soundbar be always on?
Okay, I'll admit that a soundbar not making any noise probably isn't a huge energy waste, but why would you want to waste any energy? It bothers me a bit that it stays on for 15 minutes after I'm done, but I can see the advantages to that.
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv

Gear in this thread - E601i by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Soundbars

Subscribe to this Thread