AVS Forum banner

Vizio S5430w-C2 - 54" soundbar with 3 channel

25K views 93 replies 42 participants last post by  jjohnston7 
#1 ·
Per amazon and macmall.com

103dB of room-rocking, crystal clear sound with less than 1% total harmonic distortion

Deep Bass Modules add serious low end frequency without the need for an external subwoofer

Connect to your TV with an easy, one-cable setup - HDMI-in, HDMI-out (ARC), analog and digital input options (all cables included in the box).

Wirelessly stream your music from a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. Sound Pressure Level measured using pink noise at 1 meter, C-weighted. Total harmonic distortion calculated as electrical measurement of amplifier distortion.

Source Bluetooth playback device must be enabled with aptX technology. See your Bluetooth device's specifications for details.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S5430W-C2-54-Inch-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00E1EUX6M/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_tnr_2

http://www.macmall.com/p/Vizio-Home-Audio/product~dpno~9797187~pdp.iebcigg

Technical Data

Specifications

Sound bar Size : 54”

Sound bar Speakers: Left & Right Channels (each) – 2x 3.0” Full-range drivers, 4.0” Deep Bass Module

Sound bar Center Channel - 1x 3.0” Full-range driver

Sound Pressure Level- 103dB

Sound Bar Frequency- 60Hz - 20kHz

Audio Decoding Technology- Dolby Digital®, DTS Digital Surround™

Sound Enhancement Technology- DTS TruVolume™, DTS TruSurround™, aptX®

Bluetooth- Yes

Sound bar buttons- Power, Input, Bluetooth, Volume Up, Volume Down

Remote- Yes – Display Remote

Power Input- 120V 60Hz

Installation- Table top and wall-mountable

Package Contents- Sound Bar, Display Remote, RCA to 3.5mm Audio Cable, Digital Coaxial Cable, Optical Digital Cable, Wall mounts, Quick Start Guide, Sound Bar Power Cable

Connections (Rear)

Analog Audio Input: 1x Stereo RCA

Analog Audio Input: 1x 3.5mm Stereo Audio

Digital Audio Input: 1x RCA (Coaxial)

Digital Audio Input: 1x Optical (Toslink)

Digital Audio Input: 1x HDMI-in

Digital Audio Output: 1x HDMI-out (ARC)

Subwoofer Output: 1x Subwoofer Out

USB Input: 1x USB (for .WAV playback)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a noob when it comes to sounds bars. I have the VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch and feel this would be a great compliment to that. Question I have is when it comes to multiple devices with HDMI (ie, cable box, PS4, WD Live TV Hub), how do I use all of these with with sound bar with there is only 1 HDMI in?

Sorry if its a easy question.

Thanks

Jeff

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKinslow  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_23983756

I am a noob when it comes to sounds bars. I have the VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch and feel this would be a great compliment to that. Question I have is when it comes to multiple devices with HDMI (ie, cable box, PS4, WD Live TV Hub), how do I use all of these with with sound bar with there is only 1 HDMI in?

Sorry if its a easy question.

Thanks

Jeff

The easiest way would be to connect all of your sources to the TV via HDMI and then output the TV's sound to the soundbar via HDMI (ARC) or optical. If your TV doesn't utilize ARC, you can just use an optical connection. You could also connect individual sources directly to the soundbar for audio but the way that I described previously is the easiest way.

Reactions: JeffKinslow
#4 ·

Long time lurker first time posting. Just wanted to give some thoughts on this sound bar to go with my Samsung 75 6300. I have it connected via the HDMI arc on the tv and the sound bar. I have a blu-ray connected to the HDMI on the tv.

My living room is 20 by 22 and behind it is the open kitchen. So I had a big space to fill, I went with this soundbar because I wanted a sleek 1 speaker setup in the living room. I have my media room to run the 5.1 set up. 

First impressions, its loud! Before I got it when watching sports I had the volume all the way up to 100 on the tv speakers. The sound bar volume is loud when its on a little past 4.  During movies the center channel is clear and you can hear dialogue really well. 

I've tried plugging my blu-ray player directly into the sound bar and into the tv and couldn't really hear a difference vs arc. But its possible that since I had the arc plugged in, it defaulted to that. 

My only complaint is the bass is a bit underwhelming. So I took the bass from my 5.1 system and plugged it into the sub line out. I really had to fine tune the bass to make it match the soundbar and it still sounded a bit off, but it made the sound bar better. Not sure why Vizio just didn't come out with a wireless sub with it. Maybe the next model will...

Overall I'm glad I got this sound bar and will be looking to get a sub and a wireless sub kit to complete this sound bar. Hopefully more users will be getting this sound bar. 

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tlcharcol  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24065867

Long time lurker first time posting. Just wanted to give some thoughts on this sound bar to go with my Samsung 75 6300. I have it connected via the HDMI arc on the tv and the sound bar. I have a blu-ray connected to the HDMI on the tv.

My living room is 20 by 22 and behind it is the open kitchen. So I had a big space to fill, I went with this soundbar because I wanted a sleek 1 speaker setup in the living room. I have my media room to run the 5.1 set up. 

First impressions, its loud! Before I got it when watching sports I had the volume all the way up to 100 on the tv speakers. The sound bar volume is loud when its on a little past 4.  During movies the center channel is clear and you can hear dialogue really well. 

I've tried plugging my blu-ray player directly into the sound bar and into the tv and couldn't really hear a difference vs arc. But its possible that since I had the arc plugged in, it defaulted to that. 

My only complaint is the bass is a bit underwhelming. So I took the bass from my 5.1 system and plugged it into the sub line out. I really had to fine tune the bass to make it match the soundbar and it still sounded a bit off, but it made the sound bar better. Not sure why Vizio just didn't come out with a wireless sub with it. Maybe the next model will...

Overall I'm glad I got this sound bar and will be looking to get a sub and a wireless sub kit to complete this sound bar. Hopefully more users will be getting this sound bar. 

Awesome, thanks for the info!! Very helpful!

#6 ·
I cannot get mine to work with ARC. I tried it connected to the HDMI/ARC port on my Vizio E601-A3 with no luck. OI also tried directly connecting my source (TiVo) to the HDMI/ARC port on the soundbar with no luck. Regular HDMI connection from the TiVo to the non-ARC input (HDMI5) works fine as does optical from the TV. I wonder if I've got a bum unit. I sent a message to Vizio support.

Another issue I've noticed it there is an audio drop a second or two after audio is passed to the sound bar, for example, during a channel change or skip forward or back on the TiVo. This is not present if I use the TV's speakers instead, and happens both over the optical and HDMI audio connections. Here's an example:

Skip forward

sound returns in a split second

1-2 seconds pass

sound drops for 1-2 seconds

sound is restored with no issues again until I do something else that interrupts the audio.

I've also noticed that the sound bar does not play TiVo sound effects associated with skip forward/back, but does play the sound effects associated with menu navigation. These all work if I use the TV speakers.

Other than these issues it sounds very good and looks great since it is the exact same width as the TV, these are slight annoyances for now.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tlcharcol  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24065867

I just bought this soundbar as well and was going to connect y existing 10" sub to it. What did you have to do to fine tune? Was it a problem with synching?

Also, the sub literally plugs right into the soundbar correct? no need for my receiver?

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselClown  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24075459

I just bought this soundbar as well and was going to connect y existing 10" sub to it. What did you have to do to fine tune? Was it a problem with synching?

On my jvc sub it has a volume control so I use that to tune it. I didn't have any problems syncing it.

Also, the sub literally plugs right into the soundbar correct? no need for my receiver?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24074041

...Another issue I've noticed it there is an audio drop a second or two after audio is passed to the sound bar, for example, during a channel change or skip forward or back on the TiVo. This is not present if I use the TV's speakers instead, and happens both over the optical and HDMI audio connections. Here's an example:

Skip forward

sound returns in a split second

1-2 seconds pass

sound drops for 1-2 seconds

sound is restored with no issues again until I do something else that interrupts the audio.

I've also noticed that the sound bar does not play TiVo sound effects associated with skip forward/back, but does play the sound effects associated with menu navigation. These all work if I use the TV speakers.

Other than these issues it sounds very good and looks great since it is the exact same width as the TV, these are slight annoyances for now.
First off, I checked again and confirmed that I cannot hear the skip forward/reverse sounds even with the TV speakers, so I was mistaken. I think, however, I've traced the skipping issue to my TiVo and a 32' HDMI 1.3 cable. The TiVo is in a closet and connected to the wall-mounted TV & speaker. If I change the TiVo's audio output from Dolby to PCM, all issues (minus the ARC I mentioned originally) go away. I can leave dolby digital on the TV's digital output and still get dolby digital via the TV's apps (Amazon, Netflix, etc.). I think the TV's apps are a little better than the TiVo's (more responsive, actually get to use Amazon Prime, and detailed picture/audio info is available).

Anyway, the Soundbar is now nearly perfect for me. The virtual surround sounds pretty much the same via PCM as it did with Dolby Digital enabled, at least for TV shows.

I'll try and post a picture later. I have the soundbar mounted to the TV using a $30 soundbar mount from Amazon and the TV/Soundbar combo on an articulating mount over the fireplace in our bedroom. Looks very nice, especially since the soundbar is the exact width of the TV.

#13 ·
Here's the pic of my setup. The sound bar mounts are from Amazon... Search for Bentley sound bar mount. I need to tweak the mount a little still so it sits perfect. The picture makes it look like it's not level, but it's really that one side is a bit proud of the screen. Because of the difference between the thickness of the TV and the sound bar, I had to bend the mount a bit and did not get them both equal.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

#16 ·
For those of you connecting this to an external sub-woofer, the sub-output crossover is at about 120hz. This is a lot of territory for a larger sub (10" to 12") to cover. If you have something in the 6" to 8" category, this would probably work better. If your sub has an adjustable crossover, set as high as possible (very few go up this high). What you are actually doing is setting up a basic woofer to cover the mid-bass region (about 150hz) down to about 40hz to 50hz depending on the extended low end of your woofer/sub-woofer.

Best way to adjust for sound balance is to use the old THX method of running the bass level up until you can just distinguish it above your regular speaker, then back off the low-frequency volume until the woofer becomes inaudible. You should not be able to hear low frequencies as something distinct and louder than the rest of the frequency range.

I had great success using a 8" woofer/sub-woofer from Yamaha designed for one of their sound-bars with a Vizio sound bar. Blended and tracked well.

Also, when adjusting your balance, do it at a normal listening level. Not too loud and especially not too soft. If you low frequency driver is not of the same efficiency as the sound bar, it may not track exactly right when adjusting the volume.

#89 ·
For those of you connecting this to an external sub-woofer, the sub-output crossover is at about 120hz. This is a lot of territory for a larger sub (10" to 12") to cover. If you have something in the 6" to 8" category, this would probably work better. If your sub has an adjustable crossover, set as high as possible (very few go up this high). What you are actually doing is setting up a basic woofer to cover the mid-bass region (about 150hz) down to about 40hz to 50hz depending on the extended low end of your woofer/sub-woofer.

Best way to adjust for sound balance is to use the old THX method of running the bass level up until you can just distinguish it above your regular speaker, then back off the low-frequency volume until the woofer becomes inaudible. You should not be able to hear low frequencies as something distinct and louder than the rest of the frequency range.

I had great success using a 8" woofer/sub-woofer from Yamaha designed for one of their sound-bars with a Vizio sound bar. Blended and tracked well.

Also, when adjusting your balance, do it at a normal listening level. Not too loud and especially not too soft. If you low frequency driver is not of the same efficiency as the sound bar, it may not track exactly right when adjusting the volume.
Hi, drfreeman,

Thanks for all the information. In your opinion, then, will I have a hard time getting an SVS SB12Plus 12-inch sub to pair well with the S5430? The SVS does allow me to set the crossover as high as 120hz. I've had the SVS sitting around unused for a while and assumed I would get better sound pairing it with a budget soundbar rather than buying a budget soundbar that comes with a wireless sub. I settled on the S5430 because of the combination of price, good reviews and the sub out.

Thanks,
Dave

#18 ·
If you already own the 10" sub, give it a shot. If it sounds good, you've saved yourself some money. If you can't stand it, then look for something different.

Avoid the idea that you think it might sound good and maybe you should buy something different just in case. If it sounds terrible, you will know.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24081709

Do you have a model number for this sub that you speak of? Or do you recommend Yamaha YST-SW012, looking at the specs I did not see a crossover frequency adjustment feature.

Or do you recommend Yamaha YST-SW216BL Subwoofer?

Or Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Designed 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer

I'm trying to stick to $150 or less for a subwoofer to go with this Vizio soundbar. 

#21 ·
I would have to look up my old Yamaha sub. As to any of those, best way to determine what would work is to test. This whole market is constantly shifting. The Andrew Jones sub is well designed with good extension. Not sure about the upper registers so again, testing is the best way to know.

If you buy or borrow one of these and you think it sounds good, then it probably does. You could easily drive yourself crazy attempting to compare woofers or sub-woofers connected to a Vizio sound bar.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24090863

I would have to look up my old Yamaha sub. As to any of those, best way to determine what would work is to test. This whole market is constantly shifting. The Andrew Jones sub is well designed with good extension. Not sure about the upper registers so again, testing is the best way to know.

If you buy or borrow one of these and you think it sounds good, then it probably does. You could easily drive yourself crazy attempting to compare woofers or sub-woofers connected to a Vizio sound bar.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I've been driving myself crazy....I'm not the biggest audiophile but I could tell the JVC sub that is from my 5.1 system that I hooked up to the vizio sound bar did not sound good (muttle/boomy- only volume adjustment)

But based on my requirements $150 or less and based on your explanation earlier in the thread. It looks like at the bare minimum I should get a sub that has the capability to control the crossover frequency and a 6"-8" sub would be better than a larger diameter.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoukka  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24094418

Just got mine. I am streaming music from mini mac and I am hearing break-ups time to time. The devices are pretty much next to each other. Anyone else noticing same issue?

are you streaming through bluetooth? or direct connection?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoukka  /t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel#post_24094727

Bluetooth

I was having issues with bluetooth on my iphone4s at first, where if I was to far away it would get skip in and out and I noticed I needed my phone within 7 feet away.

I recently got a 5s and no longer noticed bluetooth issues at 13ft away. I am not sure if it's the phone or interference, but I only used blue tooth a handful of times, so I never really tested it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.