AVS Forum banner
18K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  size14d 
#1 ·

Hi all, new here. I'll try to post everything that's relevant to the problem I'm having. If you need any more info, just let me know. Thanks.

The problem I'm having is that when I connect the soundbar to the TV, I get no sound at all. 

My dad wanted to get something simple since his full surround sound system was getting to be a pain, so the worker at Best Buy told him that a soundbar/subwoofer was the way to go. He ended up buying the Sony HT-CT660. The TV he has is a Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR2 from around 2007 or so.

In the manual for the soundbar, it says that if the TV has an "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) compatible HDMI port, then you should connect with that. I don't see any of those ports on the TV, so I hooked up the soundbar via the digital optical out port on the TV (which I was instructed to do in the manual). Then I connected the FiOS box and Blu-Ray Player via HDMI to the TV. Next, I went into the TV sound settings and switched the "Audio Out" setting from "Variable" to "Fixed" which would allow me to control the volume from an external source - the soundbar. After doing this, I only get sound from the TV speakers (which I don't want). Switching it back to "Variable" gives me the same result and turning the TV speakers on/off in each scenario still gives me no sound.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Or for some reason is the TV not compatible with the soundbar? If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Alright stop! Collaborate and listen! Lex is back with some problem-solving info-mation!

Okay, here's what you need to do....

1. Connect the HDMI output of the soundbar to the HDMI-1 input on the TV.

2. Connect all the A/V stuff to the soundbar's appropriate HDMI inputs. FIOS goes to the "SAT/Cable" and Blu-Ray to the obvious one called "Blu-Ray". Set the Blu-Ray player to bitstream HD audio if applicable. That gives you the HD sound that the soundbar offers.

3. Enjoy your new pumped up sound! Remember that you can control the TV with the soundbar remote and you can also control the Blu-Ray player if it's a Sony model.

#3 ·
If it doesn't do so automatically, he will need to turn on BRAVIA® Sync on the TV and the soundbar to be able to control the soundbar with the TV remote, for example.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego  /t/1499153/problems-connecting-sony-ht-ct660-soundbar-to-my-sony-46xbr2-tv#post_23941915

If it doesn't do so automatically, he will need to turn on BRAVIA® Sync on the TV and the soundbar to be able to control the soundbar with the TV remote, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego  /t/1499153/problems-connecting-sony-ht-ct660-soundbar-to-my-sony-46xbr2-tv#post_23941915

No need for that. The TV doesn't have it. It's from 2006. The soundbar remote controls TV, Blu-Ray, and soundbar.

#5 ·
Hi all; may I add a similar, possibly upcoming problem? I have a Sony KDL-60NX720 and currently all components, DirecTV HDDVR, DVD, VCR, BluRay, ROKU, and the ARC from the TV is wired through a Denon 3313 receiver using 7.1 with sub. The Denon is the only thing hooked to the TV. I only use the Denon for movies and it has a pass through while it's off to use just TV speakers for daily viewing of normal tv shows; I don't need or want 7.1 for watching news or talk shows. There's the problem. Sitting 20 feet from the tv, the tv speakers are pretty poor, so I'm looking at the the HT-CT660 for my Christmas gift. My TV has the ARC HDMI hooked into the Denon, but it also has an Optical out. From what I've read, studied, and viewed, I should be able to connect the optical out on my tv to the optical in on the sound bar. But is that going to create a conflict between the ARC to the Denon? And am I going to have to go into the menu every time to switch between the bar and the Denon. Now, when I turn on the Denon, the TV automatically switches to external audio, and when I turn it off, it automatically switches back to tv speakers. Will it work the same way with the bar?

Thanks for any advice/assistance; and Merry Christmas to all.

#6 ·
In case anyone is searching for information on this, I'll add what I've discovered. I left my system as it was described in the previous post, and hooked up the 660 using the Optical hook up. I went into the menu and changed the output but it does not cut off the tv speakers. The tv remote still controls tv volume and the 660 remote controls the sound bar. I keep the tv speakers turned all the way down, but must use the 660 remote for sound adjustments. This just adds another remote to the end table. I've contacted Sony and I've done everything correctly and there is no way to turn off the tv sound.

#7 ·
I have played with a ton of this stuff. ARC and CEC are broke and never work correctly. I gave up trying to use them long ago. Unfortunately to use ARC you have to turn on CEC. So I do as you did for TV sources and use the optical connection. Now buy a good universal remote and make your life simpler. One of the single best purchases I have made for me and the family. One remote on the table that does it all is worth every penny.

#8 ·
Note that different tvs have different hdmi ports designated as their ARC port. I have this sound bar and the ARC port on my Panasonic GT 50 isHDMI 3. Btw, I like this bar, but I wish there was customization available instead of presets. I had a Mitsubishi tv with a soundboard you could adjust every virtual speaker for your position in the room to get more of a 3d effect.

Edit: Heres where you enable ARC in the sound bar menu. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/475987/Sony-Ht-Ct660.html?page=28#manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.