Some suggestions please (**warning may include Bose discussion) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 system with some inexpensive Yamaha speakers and a Sony AV receiver with HDMI switching. I want to clean up the wires because they are an eye sore and I don't seem to get much from the rear speakers as my condo setup won't allow for the "crank it" movie mode. So small and clean is the target. Wife and child want it easy to operate and I want a little better sound than they do. I have a LG 55LW5600 TV, Tivo, Sony BD player and an Apple TV.
I was looking to the Bose Cinemate GS Series II. Reason being, on the cusp of 4K, I don't want to spend money on another receiver (did that for 3D). Taking the audio from the TV means I need not worry about the next gen anything. I know the audio will be sub standard 2 channel but that's all a sound bar need right? The jump to an HDMI switched Suggestions for 4K ready or just audio only systems? I won't go into the quality of the Bose, but would like input on my idea of just the audio out type system vs a full HDMI switched system as it relates to a sound bar.
Price point? I'm not sure. I would prefer less than $1K but I suppose could go more. I want something for many years without wanting (tough request I suppose). The ultimate goal is ease of use, few wires (but not to sacrifice too much), and decent sound for a condo. Asking too much? Yeah, but I'll take suggestions.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Look at a lot less than 1K.

Pioneer Speaker Bar - $ 350 or less
Sony CT-260 / CT-660 - not sure of the price, but Sony usually has good sound

Normally I would include Visio but many of their sound bars have only ananlog inputs and most newer TV's have only digital outputs. You can make it work, but it is a little extra trouble.

I have had a number of expensive units in my house including those from Yamaha (1.6K) and B&W (2K). None sound as good as the Pioneer.

If you want to spend some additional money, because many people equate price with quality, Yamaha's best sounding bar so far is the YSP-2200, about $ 700. This bar is very good. The Pioneer sounds better with 2-ch source material but does not have the surround effect of the Yamaha.

Some people also like the expensive Bose sound bar (1.4K). Have not heard it properly set up in a home environment so I really couldn't comment.

I have heard the Cinemate speakers in a home environment and they sound a little bright at any setting. If you really like this, buy from someone with a liberal return policy so you can listen for a few days at home to see if this is right for you.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer , Sony Htct260 Sound Bar Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page