Sound bars under the $250-300 range? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This wouldn't be for my main TV, but for a downstairs living room TV (main has full home theatre). Anyhow, would like it to sound much better for movies, games, etc... and have bluetooth and/or wireless capability as well as a separate sub woofer. That said, what are some good choices to look at? Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Looking through previous post, not seeing much talk regarding ones in this price point. You see a lot of these that sound decent at Best Buys, Costco, etc.... Just hoping to get further thoughts on these?

Thanks much.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd look at the JVC sound bars in this price range but if you can spend a little more the Pioneer is a significant jump in sound quality.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

I'd look at the JVC sound bars in this price range but if you can spend a little more the Pioneer is a significant jump in sound quality.

Yes, significant.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. The Pioneer is a significant leap in sound quality over anything at even three or four times your budget.

Caveats:

The Pioneer is 2.1 channel only. Only one optical and one analog input. Neither of these is an issue to most people. Just good to know.

David Freeman
post #6 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Pioneer is an excellent choice. Another one to consider is the VIZIO 5.1 Soundbar. It goes for $300+tax at Best Buy, but I have seen it on sale for $249+tax.

The Pioneer sounds better, but the VIZIO is 5.1. It has Bluetooth, 1 optical in/1 coaxial in/ 2 analog in. It has DD and DTS decoding.

The surround sounds are connected to the subwoofer, which can be placed anywhere in the room, and is wirelessly connected to the front bar for the SURROUND SOUND.

Now in order to get the 5.1, you MUST connect either the optical out/coaxial out from your source and DIRECTLY CONNECT IT to the sound bar. Since it has only 2 digital in, you are tied down to two sources only. An STB and then a gaming system, or Blu-Ray player.

So you ban get 5.1 from the Vizio, but if 2.1 is all you want/need, the Pioneer is a fine choice. The Sony HT260 is good as well IMHO. It goes for $300, but goes on sale down to $250 as well. Has all you want.

With the Pioneer, just make sure you get one that has a BALCK DOT on the BOX because they had ALOT of problems with them with the Bluetooth. This black dot means that there was a firmware patch that was added and the unit fixed.

And I "think" the ones from Amazon are safe to order. I think all of those have been fixed, but no guarantees.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I agree. The Pioneer is a significant leap in sound quality over anything at even three or four times your budget.

Caveats:

The Pioneer is 2.1 channel only. Only one optical and one analog input. Neither of these is an issue to most people. Just good to know.
I'm considering replacing my Panasonic SC-HTB500 which is failing. We've been very happy with the ease of use of the Panasonic and I'm trying to understand how we would deal with not having an HDMI input. Right now, the DirecTV receiver and the Blu-Ray PlThe existing soundbar is connected to the TV's ARC HDMI port. The DirecTV receiver and BluRay Player are connected to the soundbar via one optical and one HDMI input port. The soundbar switches input automatically and also plays content streamed directly to the TV.

If we were to switch to the Pioneer, how exactly would things work? Would we just have HDMI cables from the Blu-ray and DirecTV Receiver then an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar? Would there be any problem switching between devices?

Thanks.

Athena
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian View Post

I'm considering replacing my Panasonic SC-HTB500 which is failing. We've been very happy with the ease of use of the Panasonic and I'm trying to understand how we would deal with not having an HDMI input. Right now, the DirecTV receiver and the Blu-Ray PlThe existing soundbar is connected to the TV's ARC HDMI port. The DirecTV receiver and BluRay Player are connected to the soundbar via one optical and one HDMI input port. The soundbar switches input automatically and also plays content streamed directly to the TV.

If we were to switch to the Pioneer, how exactly would things work? Would we just have HDMI cables from the Blu-ray and DirecTV Receiver then an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar? Would there be any problem switching between devices?

Thanks.

Athena

Athena

Since the Pioneer is 2.1 only, this could conceivably simplify your life by
1. Connect both Blu-Ray and Direct TV to your TV via HDMI
2. Connect the TV to the Pioneer Speaker Bar via optical

Your picture quality may be slightly better bypassing the soundbar with the HDMI. Switching between sources no longer requires any thought as the TV will output sound directly to the soundbar from all sources.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Pioneer Sp Sb23w Andrew Jones Soundbar System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page