Definitive Technology SoloCinema Studio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any input on the Definitive Technology SoloCinema Studio? I have yet to find the perfect soundbar for me. I have a big open room 20'x25 feet with high ceilings. My TV is mounted above a fireplace so one thing I have noticed is that many soundbars often have speakers that fire up or at a 45 degree angle. I say the DT SoloCinema Studio today and it sounded pretty good but there was a lot of other noise in the room. Anyway, I thought I might get some input from the pros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I love the fact that they do have HDMI inputs.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Thoefen,

Unfortunately, I cannot comment but it sounds like we are in the same boat (high quality powered sound bar around $1000).

IMO, the definitive looks beautiful and I once owned a super cube sub and the quality was obvious.

I'm also looking at the Jamo Torsten, the MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar, and the polk HTS 9500.

My experience with polk has been a great one - bought a 5.1 speaker system in 2000 that still looks and sounds great but I'm not sure about their sound bars.

Like many the utility and simplicity of a low profile sound bar is going to win out over the mora superior sound of a traditional system.

I hoping my reply will spark further dialog because there are no real reviews for the Definitive, but like I said, it looks great.

Anyone with thoughts on the definitive or any other $1000 range sound bar, please respond.

Thanks,
Frank
post #4 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM

Anyone hear anything about this soundbar?  Haven't seen a single review on it, but absolutely love the design.  Debating between this and the Playbar, but would love to know if there are any reviews out there or if anyone out there has had chance to give it a listen before I pull the trigger on either.  

post #5 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM

Go look at the owner reviews on Amazon. Out of the 12 reviews, only 2 people rated it 5 stars. Lots of people complained about defects. Would scare me away until it appears that the problems have been fixed.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Those reviews are for the XRT, not for the Studio.
Doesn't look like amazon carries the solocinema studio yet.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Went to best buy and they actually had a demo of the SoloCinema Studio. I came away unimpressed. Similar to the XRT review, the SoloCinema struck me as poorly made. Sound was ok but did not seem powerful.
I opted for the Martin Logan, which really impressed me.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 PM

I picked up this bar a few days ago. But my preliminary sense is that I may have to return it. I was unsatisfied with just about everything that was out there. I was stuck between the Sonos Playbar, Martin Logan's offering and the Jamos Torsten. Sound wise, it was a toss up between Sonos, Martin Logan's and Def Tech. I would be happy with any of those 3. I chose Def Tech for the multiple HDMI inputs and DD and DTS decoding. I'm annoyed that at this price, none of them have HDMI arc. My cheapo (comparatively), samsung fm55 had all the connections one can wish for. Most of these upper end unit only has a single optical connection and no HDMI at all. Makes no damn sense. In anycase, I really enjoy the sound signature of the Def Tech. The sound is full and clear with out being strill. Bass is pretty good as well, can be a little tighter, that could be just my placement of the sub. I do have two big issues with it. Optical connection is wonky. I have to wiggle it around to get it to work (ordered a new cable to see, will get it tomorrow). Hopefully a new cable connection will fit better. The biggest issue is the volume, at max volume, it's not anywhere close to deafening. With my inexpensive samsung bar, I don't get anywhere close to max volume and it's LOUD! with the Studio, at max volume, it's very listenable. I have a smallish living room apartment with 14 ft vaulted ceiling, for reference.

Yamaha rx-2030
Emotiva xpa-3
Totem Mani-2 front
Totem Mite-T center
Totem Mite surrounds
SVS SB13 Ultra moved to PC13 Ultra
post #9 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post

I picked up this bar a few days ago. But my preliminary sense is that I may have to return it. I was unsatisfied with just about everything that was out there. I was stuck between the Sonos Playbar, Martin Logan's offering and the Jamos Torsten. Sound wise, it was a toss up between Sonos, Martin Logan's and Def Tech. I would be happy with any of those 3. I chose Def Tech for the multiple HDMI inputs and DD and DTS decoding. I'm annoyed that at this price, none of them have HDMI arc. My cheapo (comparatively), samsung fm55 had all the connections one can wish for. Most of these upper end unit only has a single optical connection and no HDMI at all. Makes no damn sense. In anycase, I really enjoy the sound signature of the Def Tech. The sound is full and clear with out being strill. Bass is pretty good as well, can be a little tighter, that could be just my placement of the sub. I do have two big issues with it. Optical connection is wonky. I have to wiggle it around to get it to work (ordered a new cable to see, will get it tomorrow). Hopefully a new cable connection will fit better. The biggest issue is the volume, at max volume, it's not anywhere close to deafening. With my inexpensive samsung bar, I don't get anywhere close to max volume and it's LOUD! with the Studio, at max volume, it's very listenable. I have a smallish living room apartment with 14 ft vaulted ceiling, for reference.

After much research, I picked one up about the same time you did. Clarity, separation and overall quality was top notch. I too initially was very disappointed with the volume levels and was on the verge of returning it until I shut off the Dolby Volume feature (which was on by default). The SoloCinema became ALIVE! The range and punch were incredible. I've had it since and it's now a keeper.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Specifically what setting are you talking about where you can turn off "the Dolby volume feature'?   I have just ordered my sound bar and want to make sure I make that change immediately.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kand View Post

Specifically what setting are you talking about where you can turn off "the Dolby volume feature'?   I have just ordered my sound bar and want to make sure I make that change immediately.

After you have everything hooked up, display the OSD menu and the first item will be "Dolby Volume". Select it and change its setting to off.

I only have my SoloCinema XTR hooked up via one of its HDMI inputs connected to the audio only HDMI output from my DVDO EDGE video processor, so I had to temporarily connect a TV to the HDMI out in order to view the OSD menu settings.

After several hours of breaking it in, the sound is fantastic! You can adjust both the center channel and the subwoofer levels. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Studio might be the perfect soundbar for my new vacation home, but I cannot find a dealer that will demonstrate the product. I like the XTR, but the Bluetooth connectivity, smaller size and price may make the Studio a better choice. All of my local Def Tech dealers will sell me the Studio but have no intention of displaying or demoing the product. I guess I am old school, but I would like to hear some music on one before I buy it. BB has a dedicated Studio demo which sounds terrible - we were unable to defeat the demo to either pair my Bluetooth device or allow music via 1/8" aux input. Has anyone else encountered a problem hearing the Studio before buying one?

How does the Studio sound with music? How does it compare to the sound of the XTR? Thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess Definitive Technology does not want me to buy their Studio soundbar. Their better dealers do not have them on display and have no intention of doing so. The dedicated demo display at BB sounds terrible and you cannot pair your device with Bluetooth or connect direct through the aux input - same results at 2 different BB.

I give up. I can't/won't buy the Studio without a proper demo. All of you who bought one - where did you hear it?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM

I bought the solocinema studio two weeks ago after comparing with other soundbars in its price range and I am quite pleased with the sound quality. Very crisp clear sound with a good wireless sub that provides a nice low end. Music and movies sound great plus nice features like bluetooth.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-10-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went through a lot of soundbars before settling on the SoloCinema. I wanted the Sonos but for just shy of $2k for the 5.1 set up I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much $$$. All of the < $500 soundbars I tried just didn't have clear enough dialogue for me. In movie mode the SoloCinema is great for dialogue. It's also got a good subwoofer. The system works great in our 20 x30 family room.

I initially had trouble with the subwoofer pairing but that turned out to be a bad HDMI cable. New cable and it works great.

If you are thinking of spending >$500 for a soundbar I'd recommend you check this one out. I think they are going for right at $1k now and I picked mine up for $700 as an openbox at BB.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
I went through a lot of soundbars before settling on the SoloCinema. I wanted the Sonos but for just shy of $2k for the 5.1 set up I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much $$$. All of the < $500 soundbars I tried just didn't have clear enough dialogue for me. In movie mode the SoloCinema is great for dialogue. It's also got a good subwoofer. The system works great in our 20 x30 family room.

I initially had trouble with the subwoofer pairing but that turned out to be a bad HDMI cable. New cable and it works great.

If you are thinking of spending >$500 for a soundbar I'd recommend you check this one out. I think they are going for right at $1k now and I picked mine up for $700 as an openbox at BB.
That is the deal I am looking for! I will agree that most soundbars, outside of the sonos, under $1000 sound very strange with dialog. Almost like people are talking under water. Considering you get the wireless sub with the solo studio, I think it is the best sound bar right now from a price/performance standpoint.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM

I agree totally!!!-I just got this from ABT Electronics for $875.00 with no shipping.

They stated it was new but I believe it was an open-box special anyway the sound is remarkable, I was on the fence about getting the Klipsch SB-3 but after a friend of mine told me about this unit I decided to look more into it and I'm sooo glad I did. Prior to this I had a Samsung HTIB unit and since moving into my new home I just couldn't hear what they were saying at normal levels. So I searched on line after hearing one and got the last one at that price according to ABT.

If anyone is is the market for a sound-bar in this price range I highly recommend this unit. YOU WON'T BE SORRY!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Definitive Technology Solocinema Xtr Sound Bar System