Bose Solo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the Bose Solo sound bar/pedastal speaker system.
I'm a typical guy who likes new gadgets and electronics. But I am not really an audiophile by any means. In fact, I have had a Sony 5.1 theater in a box now for the past 13 years. And I dont always even turn it on when watching tv/movies.

Over the years I have done some research and really wanted to save up for a B&W setup, but never had the extra thousands of dollars laying around to do so. Well this past month, my receiver went out and I now am forced to listen to music/movies/tv out of my tv's speakers.
When at Target the other day, I played the little demo on the Bose Solo speaker and in the store, I was pretty impressed. It actually sounded pretty good (to me) and was pretty loud. Then once again, I listened to it at Best Buy and again, was pretty impressed.

So today, I found a deal locally on a brand new, still in box sealed up for $200 cash. Im going to go meet him after work and purchase this.

But wanted to get opinions from people on this speaker before I do. Not opnions on meeting a stranger, but on the speaker itself lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the Bose Solo sound bar/pedastal speaker system.
I'm a typical guy who likes new gadgets and electronics. But I am not really an audiophile by any means. In fact, I have had a Sony 5.1 theater in a box now for the past 13 years. And I dont always even turn it on when watching tv/movies.

Over the years I have done some research and really wanted to save up for a B&W setup, but never had the extra thousands of dollars laying around to do so. Well this past month, my receiver went out and I now am forced to listen to music/movies/tv out of my tv's speakers.
When at Target the other day, I played the little demo on the Bose Solo speaker and in the store, I was pretty impressed. It actually sounded pretty good (to me) and was pretty loud. Then once again, I listened to it at Best Buy and again, was pretty impressed.

So today, I found a deal locally on a brand new, still in box sealed up for $200 cash. Im going to go meet him after work and purchase this.

But wanted to get opinions from people on this speaker before I do. Not opinions on meeting a stranger, but on the speaker itself lol

Bose and that is everything called Bose, has never been a poplar idem on the AVS website. If you are interested in a system take a look at this website
they have the name brands and really great prices, I have bought from then and never had a bad experience.
http://www.accessories4less.com
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post

But wanted to get opinions from people on this speaker before I do. Not opnions on meeting a stranger, but on the speaker itself lol

Now, let me just say that the Bose Solo demos are not hooked up to the TV that they are under. I noticed that when I was in Best Buy and the sound difference they are showing you is from their perspective and not REAL content. With that said, I did buy the Bose Solo for our bedroom TV to get better sound that what the TV was giving me and I must say it does the job very well! I am no means a hardcore audiophile but I have a 5.1 sound system with Polk T150 Satellites and a Polk PSW10 Sub for the living room powered by a Denon X3000. If you are looking for a difference, the Bose Solo will definitely get you there. I just found out I could adjust the base to it from reading the manual, which was cool. If will not sound no where near the sound of a good 2.1 or 5.1 system, but for less clutter it is a win!. Now the ZVOX has been getting a lot of praise and I would look at those models as well. The reason I got Bose is for the resale value if I decide to sell it and the reliability and track record. I never recommended Bose anything except for the their earbuds and this pedestal speaker.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM
AV Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just a couple of quick notes on the BOSE SOLO - make sure that you have the latest firmware installed - it is easy to do, but there are a couple of "gotchas".

I bought mine from the BOSE Store near my house, a few months ago, and I figured that I was getting the latest and greatest, but NO. There were some issues, so I called tech support and we figured out that I had an older version of the firmware on the unit.

BOSE just release a new version of the firmware (www.worldwide.bose.com/soloupdate) - that adds the "Bass Reduction" function and more importantly, improves the power management functions.

The "Gotchas" - these are not in the firmware installation guide, so I had to find out the hard way:

-The procedure to install the new firmware (my old one was v.1.0.2.0 - the latest one is 1.0.6.1287) - just format a thumb drive for either FAT16 or FAT32 -- NOTE: It cannot be formatted for exFAT or NTFS, if you are running Windows) - if you have a large capacity thumb drive (e.g. 64GB) then Windows 7/8 will only allow you to format it for exFAT or NTFS.
-Just use a smaller USB Thumb Drive (I had a spare 1GB thumb drive lying around) - format it for FAT16 just to be safe and insert it into the SOLO's USB Maintenance Port. It will copy a small .XML file onto the drive that contains some information that the installer application on your computer will reference when it writes out the new firmware file.
-When it is done on the computer, plug the thumb drive back into the SOLO and let the device do it's thing - the instructions in the firmware install .PDF are accurate from this point on.
-The front panel light will change to amber, the device will make sounds, shut off, etc. Remove the thumb drive and power it on, and voila, you're done. The whole process takes only a few minutes but it is probably worth doing if you want the latest and greatest firmware on your SOLO.

I am somewhat surprised (and disappointed) that the official BOSE Company Store sold me an out-of-date product - usually they are very good about carrying the latest revisions of hardware, etc., but oh well. At least the support people were very helpful and pointed me in the right direction.

I hope that this helps any of you who own a SOLO and wish to update the firmware - if you just want to check to see which version of firmware that you have, just insert a blank FAT16 or FAT32 formatted USB Thumb Drive into the SOLO's USB Maintenance port, and it will write out a single .XML (text) file in the root directory which you can view with any text editor, and it will tell you the version number in there.

I hope that this helps!

-Nick

Last edited by nick_515; 07-16-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Typo.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want a plastic box with 25 cent paper speakers with no adjustments, features, usable bass or treble, then it just might be for you. Otherwise run as far away as possible from Bose. Their principles rest on massively marking up crap products with expensive advertising to those who don't know any better, the "engineering" behind their products is about as backwards as you can get when looking for sound quality.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Polk Audio Rti150 Three Way Floor Standing Loudspeaker , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Monitor Series Psw10 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry
Gear in this thread - Rti150 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page