VIZIO SB4021M-B1 40-Inch 2.1 is $112 shipped, but I wonder, what happens if you hide its subwoofer in an open brick fireplace? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/108854/kohls---vizio-40-2.1-home-theater-sound-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer?#comments
For the dealio headsup.

It says its expired but It seems to be back in stock, ymmv, but plenty have ordered it since including me:)

Just improving the sound on an old plasma, but its mounted on a non functional fireplace, I mounted the bracket so low its actually at eye height on the couch so don't worry about that, but yes now the fireplace is non functional and is a space behind the tv which is blocked off from view with a small shelf unit. Whats the effect on sound of shoving a subwoofer into basically a rock box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 AM

The bass will reverberate in the space and won't sound clean. Compare the sound of your sub away from the walls and then in a corner and you'll have an idea. That's my uneducated guess.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ah so much for that. Its a directional sub so theres not that much choice of places to hide it lol

Anyways deal finally went out of stock like an hour after I posted this.

I'll find out if I can Velcro the thing to the top of my tv in a few days..or have to do something more elaborate. I'll try hiding it in there first and report back, have to try;)
post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin View Post

Ah so much for that. Its a directional sub so theres not that much choice of places to hide it lol

Anyways deal finally went out of stock like an hour after I posted this.

I'll find out if I can Velcro the thing to the top of my tv in a few days..or have to do something more elaborate. I'll try hiding it in there first and report back, have to try;)

If you're looking for a way to mount the soundbar to the TV, this is what I'm using. You can attach it to either the top or the bottom.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

That attach to the vesa mount? Because that's already taken by the wall mount.

I was either going to velcro it to the top of the plasma since I don't feel like drilling more holes into brick mortar
or if I go below, I was going to build a hidden wooden bracket that braces/stands inside the fireplace and gives me a spot to mount the thing blow the tv.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin View Post

That attach to the vesa mount? Because that's already taken by the wall mount.

I was either going to velcro it to the top of the plasma since I don't feel like drilling more holes into brick mortar
or if I go below, I was going to build a hidden wooden bracket that braces/stands inside the fireplace and gives me a spot to mount the thing blow the tv.

It's really thin. You just slide it between the tv and the wall mount, then tighten the mount. Kinda like a washer. Then you attach your soundbar to the bottom arms. No drilling. Literally takes 5 minutes.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well installed it in the fireplace. Its just the most convenient place for placement right now and I think I've figure out how to get it to work.

This model has a directional subwoofer regardless of position so its best if you can place it close to the tv as possible, directly behind I guess is optimal. I had to set the bass to -7 on the bar because yes the brick fireplace cove "enhances" the bass, but even if it doesn't you sort of have to use a negative bass setting to minimize the issue of mens voices being noticeable from subwoofer.

All in all after the tweaking the sound is ok for its purpose which was to enhance tv sound, I have other speakers for movies through the htpc and stuff. Basically this model out of the box has a stupid default setting which is to emphasis bass at the cost of sound quality, I guess its like store mode for TV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnarg View Post

It's really thin. You just slide it between the tv and the wall mount, then tighten the mount. Kinda like a washer. Then you attach your soundbar to the bottom arms. No drilling. Literally takes 5 minutes.

Hah, well its a 50" plasma, I loath the thought of lifting it off the wall again;)
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio Sb4021m B1 40 Inch 2 1 Home Theater Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page