Just bought a Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar, questions about hooking up other devices... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the soundbar has a few HDMI ports, does that mean I can hook up other devices to it (e.g., computer, WDTV Live, etc) and it'll take advantage of the soundbar's sound? Or do I still need a receiver? I have a Denon 2310 that I'd like to sell if possible as I don't have the space for it. Is there any benefit to using a receiver with this soundbar?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You don't need and shouldn't use a receiver with the YSP-2200 as it's a powered soundbar...as opposed to a passive soundbar...with its own built-in amplification. Just connect your sources directly to the unit.

You might want to hold on to the Denon until you're sure you like the sound of the Yamaha, however!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
After testing lots of stuff and trying to get ARC/CEC to work correctly I found my results were a crapshoot. I came to 3 conclusions:

1. ARC/CEC is evil.
2. ARC/CEC is possessed.
3. Friends don't let friends use ARC/CEC.

Seriously, you can spend hours on this stuff to realize it is a great idea on paper but poorly implemented among the various manufacturers. Connect the TV to the sound bar with an optical cable, turn off CEC on all devices, get a good universal remote.

It will be money and time well spent!
post #4 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks both of you! So the Yamaha is powered, which means it's its own amp/receiver? And as long as it has the ports I need, I have no need for a dedicated AVR?

ttlnb: what is ARC and CEC? Why do you recommend connecting the TV and soundbar via optical cables? Why not HDMI?

I do have a Harmony universal remote that I like.

I am new to this if you can't tell!
post #5 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM

ARC = audio return channel. If you connect devices to the TV or use the TV's sources like antenna or smart TV apps then it can send the sound back ti the sound bar or receiver through the HDMI. However, it does not always work correctly because depending on how HDMI syncs sometimes it only gets a stereo signal. Also, ARC does not send the lossless formats like True HD and Master DTS. To use ARC you have to turn on CEC. You are much better to connect all your components to the sound bar and then connect one HDMI to the TV from the sound bar. Even if your sound bar only has one HDMI out I wouldn't use ARC. I'd run an optical cable back the the sound bar instead of ARC. I guess that is why we see so many sound bars with optical inputs and no HDMI, they don't want to deal with the ARC/CEC headaches.

CEC = consumer electronic control. In theory it is supposed to switch all your inputs, control the volume, and turn off equipment not being used. So if you turn on your blu-ray player for instance the TV and sound bar would automatically switch to the correct inputs, the volume control on the remote no matter which one you use in the chain of components should control the sound bar or receivers volume and not the TV and then turn off the devices you are not using. It is supposed to figure out what is connected and turned on and make smart decisions for inputs, which device to use for the volume, etc. In reality it is a cruel joke, and you swear your devices are possessed. Things turn on/off that you don't want. The volume sometimes controls the TV, sometimes the sound bar, and which input it picks is done by a roulette wheel. I had problems with equipment from the same manufacturer, like Sony TV, Blu-ray and Sound bar. So turn CEC off which will also turn off ARC.

To confuse things CEC is called different things by different manufacturers. For Sony it is called Bravia sync, Panasonic is Viera link, Samsung is Any-net, LG is simplink, etc.

So for your system connect all your devices to the sound bar. For instance

cable/satellite box > YSP 2200 w/ HDMI
Computer > YSP 2200 w/ HDMI
WD Live > YSP 2000 w/ HDMI

YSP 2200 > TV w/ HDMI

If you plan to use the TVs internal source such as an antenna or its Apps then:
TV > YSP 2200 w/ optical instead of using ARC/CEC via the HDMI.

Use your Harmony, you'll be happy you did. If you try to connect all the devices to the TV and try to use ARC for sound, CEC will wreck havoc with the harmony. It's as ugly as the republican and democrats fighting for who has control:-)
post #6 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

ARC = audio return channel. If you connect devices to the TV or use the TV's sources like antenna or smart TV apps then it can send the sound back ti the sound bar or receiver through the HDMI. However, it does not always work correctly because depending on how HDMI syncs sometimes it only gets a stereo signal. Also, ARC does not send the lossless formats like True HD and Master DTS. To use ARC you have to turn on CEC. You are much better to connect all your components to the sound bar and then connect one HDMI to the TV from the sound bar. Even if your sound bar only has one HDMI out I wouldn't use ARC. I'd run an optical cable back the the sound bar instead of ARC. I guess that is why we see so many sound bars with optical inputs and no HDMI, they don't want to deal with the ARC/CEC headaches.

CEC = consumer electronic control. In theory it is supposed to switch all your inputs, control the volume, and turn off equipment not being used. So if you turn on your blu-ray player for instance the TV and sound bar would automatically switch to the correct inputs, the volume control on the remote no matter which one you use in the chain of components should control the sound bar or receivers volume and not the TV and then turn off the devices you are not using. It is supposed to figure out what is connected and turned on and make smart decisions for inputs, which device to use for the volume, etc. In reality it is a cruel joke, and you swear your devices are possessed. Things turn on/off that you don't want. The volume sometimes controls the TV, sometimes the sound bar, and which input it picks is done by a roulette wheel. I had problems with equipment from the same manufacturer, like Sony TV, Blu-ray and Sound bar. So turn CEC off which will also turn off ARC.

To confuse things CEC is called different things by different manufacturers. For Sony it is called Bravia sync, Panasonic is Viera link, Samsung is Any-net, LG is simplink, etc.

So for your system connect all your devices to the sound bar. For instance

cable/satellite box > YSP 2200 w/ HDMI
Computer > YSP 2200 w/ HDMI
WD Live > YSP 2000 w/ HDMI

YSP 2200 > TV w/ HDMI

If you plan to use the TVs internal source such as an antenna or its Apps then:
TV > YSP 2200 w/ optical instead of using ARC/CEC via the HDMI.

Use your Harmony, you'll be happy you did. If you try to connect all the devices to the TV and try to use ARC for sound, CEC will wreck havoc with the harmony. It's as ugly as the republican and democrats fighting for who has control:-)

Thanks so much!! Yes, I forgot to mention my cable box. So yes, I just need to hook the YSP2200 up to the cable box, then the cable box goes to the TV all via HDMI? And then the HTPC and WD TV Live get hooked up via HDMI and I bypass CEC and ARC and I'm all good? Anything else I should know about the YSP 2200? Is the volume equalizer (so night time viewing is tamed) good? The Audyssey Dynamic Volume tech is awesome on my Denon!
post #7 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM

The cable box and all your devices are connected to the YSP HDMI inputs. Then the YSP HDMI out is connected to an HDMI in on the TV. I'm not sure how well their adaptive volume works.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks! Anything else I should know about the YSP 2200 to get the most out of it? How should I place the subwoofer?
post #9 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Placing the sub is a loaded question and setting a sub properly is difficult without measurement equipment. Run the set up and see if it integrates well with the sound bar, not too boomy or lacking in bass. Try the sub in different locations and re-run the setup to see which area sounds best to you.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-28-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

The soundbar is awesome, thanks!

What level do you recommend setting and leaving the subwoofer at?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought the ysp2200 and not sure if I should get the Dolry HiFi Stone or YBA-11 to stream my music. Can anyone please help?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to know, how do you connect the soundbar to the desktop, just via hdmi cable to the graphic card hdmi slots? and it will work fine? i have a rampage iv black edition motherboard.

thanks for the help!!!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I got a Denon DHT S514 and after some research I found that the best way to hook my gear up is as shown in the pic below. Depending on how many sources you have you'll need a HDMI switch, like I do. If anyone has a better idea please share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soundbar.png
Views:	99
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	191274  

Last edited by no_nick; 08-01-2014 at 06:43 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_nick View Post
Well I got a Denon DHT S514 and after some research I found that the best way to hook my gear up is as shown in the pic below. Depending on how many sources you have you'll need a HDMI switch, like I do. If anyone has a better idea please share.
Some newer TVs can actually pass 5.1 with the HDMI to optical route
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black