AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Soundbars (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/)
-   -   A few questions before buying a soundbar (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/1506850-few-questions-before-buying-soundbar.html)

kalv 12-20-2013 11:47 PM

1. Is there a big difference between 2.1 and 5.1 soundbars? I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Pioneer SP-SB23W, but it's only 2.1. Shouldn't 5.1 always be better than 2.1?

2. Is it possible to connect my PC(has HDMI) and TV to one soundbar? If yes, how? Most soundbars I've looked at doesn't have HDMI ports.

mercennarius 12-21-2013 01:23 AM

Vizio S4251w- b4. Just picked this up and for roughly $300 I don't think there is a better overall soundbar setup than this. The Pioneer is good but honestly overrated.

kalv 12-21-2013 05:32 PM

Can someone help me?

STEELERSRULE 12-21-2013 06:27 PM

The ONLY 5.1 soundbar available is made by VIZIO. That is it. And the current one only has 1 optical input/1 coaxial input for 5.1 sound, and an rca analog input for 2.1 sound. That is the only one available right now, and your only choice. So that is it. NO HDMI INPUT/OUTPUT on that one. But it can decode 5.1 DD/DTS signals from a Blu-Ray, HD STB, etc... But you only get 2 of those types of connections, and MUST BE CONNECTED DIRECTLY to the soundbar.

"Supposedly" a NEWER version with HDMI in/out is supposed to be coming out. But it has been expected forever, and it is still a no show.

There are a TON of 2.1 bars. The Pioneer is overvalued IMHO. The Sony HTCT-260 is an awesome 2.1 soundbar at $249, sometimes $50 less when on sale. It's bigger brother, the HTCT-660, has the HDMI inputs you want, but is about $70 more than the htct-260.

I would go with the SONY or VIZIO. You want surround, the VIZIO is your only option at reasonable cost.

kalv 12-21-2013 06:37 PM

Ok thanks. Guess I'll buy Vizio. 

perogypal 12-25-2013 09:42 AM

Hi may be a little off topic but I'm thinking of buying two soundbars. One for the living room and one for the den does anyone know if I can connect via bluetooth to both soundbars at the same time and stream music?

Doctego 12-25-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perogypal View Post

Hi may be a little off topic but I'm thinking of buying two soundbars. One for the living room and one for the den does anyone know if I can connect via bluetooth to both soundbars at the same time and stream music?

I would say no because you actually have to pair the device with the soundbar. AFAIK, you need to terminate the bluetooth connection with one device before you pair with another.