Soundbar Request for Speech Amplification. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could somebody please invent a bar that could boost the voices when watching movies. Doing a search on the web there are hundreds of people who are complaining that when watching movies you have to have the sound so loud to understand speech, but all other sounds are too loud in comparison that you have to keep turning audio up and down the whole time Is this possible to do or is it beyond putting a man on the moon?
teevman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Atlantic Technology PB-235 has a speech enhance feature. However, there can be a number of reasons for poor quality speech. The three biggest are poor quality speakers (bar), poor room environment as in very echoey, and the last is the speaker and subwoofer levels aren't balanced and the sub is set louder than the speaker(bar) drowning out clear speech.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilera View Post

Could somebody please invent a bar that could boost the voices when watching movies. Doing a search on the web there are hundreds of people who are complaining that when watching movies you have to have the sound so loud to understand speech, but all other sounds are too loud in comparison that you have to keep turning audio up and down the whole time Is this possible to do or is it beyond putting a man on the moon?

I agree 100%. I've tried the pioneer and bose cinemate and they both are terrible with voices. I've read the martinlogan http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/soundbar.php is supposed to be good in that regard but it's very expensive, also it comes with no sub, although you can add one if you want more bass. The fact it needs no sub makes me think it could be better for just simple tv watching. Right now my tv speakers as crappy as they are still do a better job of dialogue than anything else i've tried.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm assuming it's when watching a Blu-ray or DVD movie that most people have this issue causing people to dive for the remote when the action scenes kick in...

There is an option called Dynamic Range Control (DRC) on your DVD or Blu-ray player. Turning it ON will quiet the explosions and raise the quieter sounds for a more balance soundmix. Last I checked, it was a feature utilized only on Dolby tracks so you'll have to select the Dolby track (as oppose to DTS). It only works also if the sound mixer put the DRC flags or cues into the track but it seems like they all do.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if it would help.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll second this, the only method I've found is connecting the sound bar with "dumb" RCA connections so it doesn't get any fancy Dolby or DTS. I'll also turn off the surround. Anyone with kids sleeping while trying to watch a movie will understand ...

Hmm, I should probably see if truVolume with Vizio works. I have it both on the TV and the new Vizio soundbar I bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Atlantic Technology H Pas Powerbar 235 Powered Home Theater Soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page