Really confused by the audio and coax, not sure what I'm doing wrong. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, if somebody could please help I'd really appreciate it.

Okay so I have bought a soundbar but I am really struggling to connect it.  The soundbar has a coax, digital and audio connectors, and hdmi, the tv has coax, audio, and hdmi but I'm pretty sure the hdmi is input only as it doesn't seem to work and none say OUT or ARC.

So I was under the impression that if I connected through the TV using audio or coax that I would be able to hear the sound from my Sky, 360 and XBOne, though I'm starting to question that now.

So it seems pretty simple but if I connect via audio to the TV no sound comes out of the sounbar but if I connect to the Sky box using the red&white then it does.  The red and white on the TV doesn't say Audio Out, is this my problem or is it that I need to connect everything separately, does connecting the TV not work for sound through other devices also connected to the TV?

The coax really has me confused, I though coax was just coax but mine doesn't fit...?  Into neither the bar or the TV, really not sure why,  Have I bought the wrong type?  It has a high wall and that appears to be stopping it from going into the ports, can you buy it without the wall/guard or is it that it comes in different sizes?

Finally, as I say it's for use with my Sky and my Xboxes so should I just connect separately?  I can do the Sky via audio and the Xboxes both via optical so I'd have to swap cables but at least the sound would be better I guess.

Oh incase it helps I have a Technika TV and a Phillips HTL3120.

Any advise would be brilliant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You are all over the place here but let me try to answer most or all of your questions. What is the model # of your TV? That will help us to help you. If there is no mention of HDMI/ARC on any of the ports on your TV, I'm sure that your TV doesn't support ARC. Your TV should be able to output audio to the soundbar, assuming that you are using the proper cables, changing the appropriate settings in the TV, and choosing the correct source on the soundbar. You made no mention of how you have your sources connected to your TV. I will assume HDMI. I believe that your soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. If so, I would connect your cable box and one other source to the soundbar via HDMI IN, connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI out, connect the remaining source to the TV via HDMI (or however you have it connected), and connect that source to the soundbar via optical. Of course, you will need to change the source on the soundbar whenever you want sound on the last source.

When you say that the coax doesn't fit, are you using RG-6 "coax" that comes into the wall and screws into your cable box or are you using this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

You want to use the cable in the link above.

If this doesn't help you, please clearly provide as much information as possible.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Hi, thanks for the response, I'm sorry, I really am quite useless at this audio thing. 

The model is a Technika LED-32-24B

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-32-248-32-inch-full-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview/213-3315.prd

Okay, I have 3 hdmi but none say in or out and I have my Sky Box and both Xboxes connected via the 3 hdmi ports so would that mean they're all hdmi in?  The website says it has 2 ports but it definitely has 3.  The soundbar has 2 hdmi in and 1 out port just as you said.  I haven't changed any settings or anything like that.  I have tried all 3 hdmi ports in the way you described yesterday but no sound came out so I think they're all for input but I could be wrong.

The coax I bought is this - http://www.wilko.com/electrical-accessories/maxview-digital-coaxial-flyhead-2m/invt/0255492?VBMST=coaxial

HOpe I've filledf in all the missing info here.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I have not seen the type of COAX you purchased before. Typical US COAX for digital looks just like a standard RCA analog cable.

Actually, I have used a standard RCA analog cable from an old DVD player to a receiver and it transmitted sound just fine.

Your connection should be, all components connected to your TV via HDMI. TV connected to the soundbar via COAX out from TV to COAX in on the soundbar.

David Freeman
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
There may be a setting on the TV where you have to tell it to play audio via internal (TV) or home theater (Soundbar) or something similar.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition