Please help with tv/ps3 to soundbar connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Using hdmi cables, I connected my my cable box to my samsung sound bar to my panasonic tv.  (cable box "out" to sound bar "in" + "sound bar "out" to tv "in")  That works great.

The issue is with my PS3.  I had no problem connecting the ps3 to the sound bar via Bluetooth, however the sound for my ps3 still comes from my tv and not the sound bar. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Is the PS3 still connected to the TV?

Does the PS3 have an internal setting, either under audio or possibly HDMI, telling it where to direct the sound.

I don't have a PS3, but many DVD or Blu-Ray players have a setting for audio out. On my most recent Panasonic, this is under the HDMI settings and by default, audio goes through HDMI. If I wish to change to optical or ananlog, I have to select the option from the HDMI settings.

David Freeman
Old 01-16-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

yes the ps3 does have internal sound settings as you explained.  Like you said,hdmi...optical are available, but nothing about bluetooth. 

Here's my theory on why it doesn't work:  (feel free to add your input or confirm if I'm right)

Upon doing more research on the ps3 bluetooth setup...I discovered that Sony designed the bluetooth setup specifically for head sets.  Therefore when you connect an audio device to your ps3 via bluetooth, you will still hear the game and video sounds come from your tv only.. Voice chat from another online gamer is the only thing that can be heard on your headset or other audio device.  I guess this allows the user to have a more clear conversation with other gamers while still enjoying the sounds of the game.

I wanted to have the least number of cables possible but I guess I'll just have to buy a digital optical cable for my ps3 to sound bar connection.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Good answer. I don't game, but my 28 year old son has gaming devices from Sony, Microsoft and someone else. He and his wife for a vacation recently left the two grandkids with us and checked into a hotel with two of the gaming devices and a handful of new games. Don't know why they didn't stay at home unless it was room service.

David Freeman
Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 13
I agree with your thought. The PS3 bluetooth function was originally designed for controller & remotes. They later added headset support. I doubt their intentions were for bluetooth home theater connectivity. Honestly, I know you want to minimize cables, but sound quality wise you're better off using an optical or hdmi connection. You would lose some sound quality via bluetooth and probably format support as well (dolby, dts, etc).

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 Plasma
Sony HT-CT660 Sound bar
Harmony 650 Remote
Google Chromecast
Sony Playstation 3
Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.  I ended up buying an hdmi "switch" so both my cable box and ps3 are connected to the sound bar  via hdmi cables.

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb