My Projector has only 1 HDMI input. Are there soundbars that will take the feeds from 3 sources and switch between them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Again: My Projector has only 1 HDMI input. Are there soundbars that will take the feeds from 3 sources and switch between them? I don't really want to buy an AV receiver and speakers. PLEASE?

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Yes, I bought a panasonic su-htb770 soundbar that has 4 hdmi inputs as well as 2 optical inputs. Bluetooth also.

post #3 of 35 Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I just ordered a Sony HT-CT660 , which has three HDMI inputs and one output, so I sure hope it works.

However, the more I read, it sounds like the ARC HDMI output is audio only and has to link to an ARC spec'd HDMI input, which my PJ doesn't have.eek.gif

Multi inputs to the SB is great, but the question is does the SB have an HDMI out that goes to the display, so that I can switch inputs on the SB and it will send the Video of the input I select to the PJ? mad.gif

On closer inspection, one of the HDMI connections on the SB is labeled "TV OUT" and under that "(ARC)", so maybe it does both. It's kind of amazing how little info there is out there for this particular issue. I suppose it's because most PJ theaters don't use Sound Bars because of the long throw. This short throw option isn't used very often yet, so there's no big demand for the configuration - YET.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #4 of 35 Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just realized you might not know what I'm talking about, so here is the setup: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512578/powerlite-485w-by-epson-ultra-short-throw-for-bright-t-v-anywhere

Joe -----

post #5 of 35 Old 01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
If you connect your sources to the HDMI inputs on the soundbar and then output the soundbar via HDMI to the projector (or TV), you don't have to worry about ARC. ARC is only applicable if you connect your sources to the display and then output the display to the soundbar.

Your main concern will be potentially lengthy HDMI run(s), depending upon how far away your equipment is.
JHouse likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it. It's taken about 10 hours of research, but I'm feeling like it will work now. I'm kind of amazed how few HDMI switching soundbars there are. And even more amazing that they don't brag about it or actually explain how it works even in the manuals. And fortunately, my runs are all about 6". biggrin.gif

Joe -----

post #7 of 35 Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The sandbar ( that was such a funny voice to text mistake I'm going to leave it ) showed up, and I finally got time to install it. It works. And what I mean is it works like a switching HDMI AV receiver would. It scared me at first, it was a little glitchy, I tried to set it up without my reading glasses so I avoided the manual as usual , but it works just fine.

What bothers me is that I was replacing an LG model number NB3510A. And so far I like the sound of the LG much better. The 660 has a lot of tonal adjustments, which is a blessing and a curse. But you have to be right next to that thing to see what you're doing. Then when I move back to my viewing position, it sounds substantially different. It has treble, bass and voice adjustments (in a different location) and then of course the subwoofer is separate too. So it's about like working with a rudimentary equalizer. I'm top of that it has six dedicated buttons with particular sound profiles. I have checked and your manually adjusted hard settings seem to remain the same across the six buttons, so they probably just handle the ambience phase manipulation gizmo . I like the movie setting best, and I did have to knock the sub woofer down to -3. I have the treble at plus one. It sounds boomy and hollow, like it's coming out of a box. Does anyone have any suggestions for settings? The pure stereo setting is way too thin.

Joe -----

post #8 of 35 Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still tweaking. Bumped woofer up to -2. Treble +1. Voice +2. Anyone got any ideas on settings?

Part of it might be just getting used to "different" which is always a human problem, but I swear it is actually worse, and not different. Sucks for me. mad.gif

But I suppose I will acclimate sooner or later, or just lay down and let the feeling go away. rolleyes.gif

Joe -----

post #9 of 35 Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got out the Digital Video Essentials on Blu-Ray and listened. Subwoofer, nothing below 50 HZ, at 50, it is weaker than American coffee. 60HZ and above, is much stronger and totally acceptable. There seemed to be a big dip in the high treble range, but a peak again at 15K. Anyway, just based on what I know my shows sound like on my other (real) system, here is where I am now: Voice +1, Subwoofer -1, Base -2, Treble 0. That's it. Of course I realized that such things are room dependent. Good luck to all.

Joe -----

post #10 of 35 Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention: when I was doing the surround sound testing on the VE disc, I was stunned that the sounds actually sounded like they were coming from where they were supposed to, i.e. from the sides and rear. Kind of a miracle, or the power of suggestion, I don't know which. But the sound is spacious, without that wonky out of phase feel.

Joe -----

post #11 of 35 Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night and decided to use the old audiophile technique and listen to a lot of music I was very familiar with to tune the sound bar by ear. Result: mode: standard; voice:+4; SW: -1; bass: -1; treble: +2.

This got rid of the tunnel or coming from inside of the box sound of the system. Now I can listen to it without noticing. The music sounded very good, and everything seems acceptable. So it is decent, and I am reasonably happy. And so our saga comes to an end.biggrin.gif

Joe -----

post #12 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not so fast. Went to my son's place and listened to his Pioneer Sound Bar (that we got him for Christmas based on the reviews, you know the one, named for some audio wizard, whatever) and it sounded GREAT. Made me feel bad. Sound wasn't nearly as clear on mine, especially the vocals. Also, I got jealous of his bluetoothing Spotify. So I came home and set up my phone to play my Amazon library via bluetooth, which allowed me to listen to a LOT more variety of music I know very well and recalibrate. It worked very well. I listened to about 40 songs (parts of them) and set it as I went, eliminating too much sizzle, too much boom, big dip in the midrange, etc. I recognized how much difference the room makes, but mine is large, stone floor, but lots of stuffed furniture and rugs and drapes and a totally irregular shape. The biggest idiosyncrasy is that the sub is in a corner/cubby which probably amplifies the heck out of it. So your sub level will certainly vary. Here's where I ended up: Voice +4; SW -5; bass -1; treble -1. It now sounds really good. And the voices on video content is now extremely clear and natural. There must be a huge dip in the midrange as these things come from the factory.

Joe -----

post #13 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM

I'm looking for something similar, so I thought to ask here.

I want a soundbar system with at least 2.0 that has ideally 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output or at least 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output (I would have to add a splitter).

I would be connecting my HTPC, my PS4 and my cable decoder, so I need the system to be able to pass 3D signals, as my HTPC and the PS4 have 3D capabilities, which I believe means HDMI 1.4.

Ideally between $200 and $300.

So far, I have:
  • Samsung HW-F450
  • Sony HTCT550W
  • Samsung HW-E450
  • Sony HT-CT660

Some recommendations to start with?

Thanks!
post #14 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

Thanks. I just ordered a Sony HT-CT660 , which has three HDMI inputs and one output, so I sure hope it works.
So, how do you like it so far?
post #15 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keep reading this thread. I describe it in detail. A lot happier now, but the Pioneer still seems to sound better.

Joe -----

post #16 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Keep reading this thread. I describe it in detail. A lot happier now, but the Pioneer still seems to sound better.
Does the Pioneer has 3 hdmi inputs?
post #17 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope. AFAIK The 660 is the highest rated, reasonably priced HDMI switching sound bar. Though my research wasn't exhaustive.

Joe -----

post #18 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Nope. AFAIK The 660 is the highest rated, reasonably priced HDMI switching sound bar. Though my research wasn't exhaustive.
I'm currently looking and so far I have:

Samsung HW-F450
Sony HTCT550W
Samsung HW-E450
Sony HT-CT660

Did you check any of those, besides the 660?
post #19 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, so let us know what you find out.

Joe -----

post #20 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I-m actually based outside of US, so I have to import whatever I choose. This is why I ask here.
post #21 of 35 Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night and decided to use the old audiophile technique and listen to a lot of music I was very familiar with to tune the sound bar by ear. Result: mode: standard; voice:+4; SW: -1; bass: -1; treble: +2.

This got rid of the tunnel or coming from inside of the box sound of the system. Now I can listen to it without noticing. The music sounded very good, and everything seems acceptable. So it is decent, and I am reasonably happy. And so our saga comes to an end.biggrin.gif

I'm an idiot. Again. I had been having a tough time with the dialog. My mistake was setting the "sound field" in the upper right corner to "music" at the outset, and then forgetting it and trying to make the dialog clear later (after I forgot about that setting entirely) with nothing but tone/equalization. Though I listened and equalized to music a couple of times, and the music sounded really accurate, when I watched TV/Movies, the dialog was really hard to understand a fair amount of the time. So I got off my butt and got my reading glasses and go out the manual (oh dread) and remembered that setting. There is a setting called "drama" in the "sound field" category. Huge difference. Then I went back and and equalized/tone adjusted everything on music that I was very familiar with, so I knew it was tonally accurate, and the music sounded great. Then I went to the Digital Video Essentials, and tried the surround test, and it amazingly located sounds accurately completely around me (still don't know how that is possible, and he visual cues may play some role in fooling me, but still......wow.) So then back to movie/TV and clarity abounds. Totally satisfied now. Music and TV are both great. Final settings for my room (rooms make a big difference): "drama" ; Voice +4; Sub 0; Bass -2; Treble +1. Sounds great on music and voices. Very accurate. Crystal clear.

Joe -----

post #22 of 35 Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm an idiot. Again. I had been having a tough time with the dialog. My mistake was setting the "sound field" in the upper right corner to "music" at the outset, and then forgetting it and trying to make the dialog clear later (after I forgot about that setting entirely) with nothing but tone/equalization. Though I listened and equalized to music a couple of times, and the music sounded really accurate, when I watched TV/Movies, the dialog was really hard to understand a fair amount of the time. So I got off my butt and got my reading glasses and go out the manual (oh dread) and remembered that setting. There is a setting called "drama" in the "sound field" category. Huge difference. Then I went back and and equalized/tone adjusted everything on music that I was very familiar with, so I knew it was tonally accurate, and the music sounded great. Then I went to the Digital Video Essentials, and tried the surround test, and it amazingly located sounds accurately completely around me (still don't know how that is possible, and he visual cues may play some role in fooling me, but still......wow.) So then back to movie/TV and clarity abounds. Totally satisfied now. Music and TV are both great. Final settings for my room (rooms make a bid difference): "drama" ; Voice +4; Sub 0; Bass -2; Treble +1. Sounds great on music and voices. Very accurate. Crystal clear.
So how do you rate the 660 sonically versus the Pioneer?

StayThristyMyFriends
post #23 of 35 Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The two systems are in two different houses with two really different environments, and I haven't really had the opportunity to put the Pioneer through its paces. I heard the Pioneer the other day, but very casually. It sounds very clear is all I noticed. The "millenial" owner loves the sound, and he uses it as the sound system for parties, if that's any measure. I didn't notice strong bass, but that just may be how he has it set up, or the program source, which I wouldn't really expect to have any.

Joe -----

post #24 of 35 Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply....
I recently purchased the Sony 660, so far very impressed!
Impressed with the sound (Drama mode does seem to sound best)
Subwoofer sound is excellent, not to boomy but strong enough to make a difference.
Impressed with the setup, extremely easy and intuitive
Like the remote, like the look, like the HDMI inputs and output.
Wish....it had onscreen display, or at least a larger, more readable display.

StayThristyMyFriends
post #25 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have to put on my reading glasses and go sit on the floor in front of it. That makes "set and forget" a really attractive approach.

Joe -----

post #26 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have your soundbar wall mounted or sitting on something?
How about your subwoofer? where is it located?

StayThristyMyFriends
post #27 of 35 Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My soundbar is on the top shelf of a coffee table (not the top of the table but right under it), hanging out just about a 1/2" (to minimize reflections from the surfaces above and below). The sub is about 8 feet away against a wall/bookcase corner. I know the corner placement jumps up the gain.

There's a picture of it in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512578/powerlite-485w-by-epson-ultra-short-throw-for-bright-t-v-anywhere

Joe -----

post #28 of 35 Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice setup !
I currently have my CT-660 sitting on top of my audio rack but I want to wall
mount it under my display, hoping that it will sound as good as it does now.

In that thread you mention that you're not pleased with TC-660...
Have you warmed up to it?
I'm very pleased with it's performance...
great dialog clarity, nice balanced sound, good surround effects.....
all in all very happy and surprised

StayThristyMyFriends
post #29 of 35 Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, and I wouldn't expect you to follow the dates, but early on before I figured out the "drama" setting issue, music was good but dialog sucked. All better now.

Joe -----

post #30 of 35 Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM

I am so glad I found this thread.  I just picked up a 660 last week and am set to tweaking.  It replaced an older bose acoustimass 10 solution.  Moved to a smaller/older house ( but it has charm, lol ) and could not deal with the cables any longer.

The advise has been great with the settings, I tweaked the SW level, voice level and base and treble settings.  For the rest of the AMP menu settings what would you recommend?

Specifically I have been trying the different settings in the Audio menu.  I can't really tell the difference between the settings of M/S, Main or Sub.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Schtb770 S Soundbar With Built In Subwoofer , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Ct660 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page