To YSP 4000 or not to YSP 4000... This is the question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

Would appreciate experts advice please :)

Although a bit old, but I found someone selling a brand new Yamaha YSP 4000 for $500. I was unable to find anything where I live with specs as good as the YSP4000 for anything less than $1,200 so I am excited about it yet there are two points that I would need your help in:

1.Setup: I suppose there should be no reason this wont work, yet would appreciate confirmation: I have all my devices connected to my 47" LG (47LM6610) and am planning to just plug an optical cable from the TV set to the YSP 4000. Any reason this wont work?

2. Room shape (sketch to follow) and its effect on surround sound: I have a very weird family room, it is in the middle of the house, with six doors :rolleyes: 5 of these doors are wood and one is a metal door. The room is somehow L shaped, and I would like to know whether the surround effect would work with the way my room is set. My 3 concerns are:

- I would like to place the sound bar on a shelf that it's above the TV cabinet making it 2 meters higher than ground level yet it will be facing my favorite seat (I read that there is a vertical adjustment configuration to fix this, is that the case?)

- The walls are all concrete, yet the wall behind me has a metal door to my right and a glass window above my head

- My last concern is that the wall is very close to my back, the sofa is actually resting on the wall that's in front of the TV

Thanks in advance;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Help please :)

post #3 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Liked: 13
In this situation, you would want to position the bar as close to the sofa as possible while still infront of the tv. So moving it outward on the stand would benefit.

What's the total length of the room and length of the opening on the left? If you can draw a triangle or reflected line between the center of the bar to the wall and the inverse of that angle can hit the listening position, you should be good on that side. The right side should be ok, and the sofa should balance out and sound lost against the left sides opening.

The rear surround may not be as effective as they would follow very similar angles to your front beam config. I would not expect a lot from the tears as your listening position is against the rear wall.

I have pretty good experience with the 2200 but not much with the 4000.

Where are you located? There are other soundbars that may sound better and would sacrifice some surround effect, but in your room config you are already sacrificing some surround ability just given the layout.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks plenty Trueno92 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno92 View Post
What's the total length of the room and length of the opening on the left?

I have just added an updated image: 5 meters for the right wall and 2.7 meters for the left wall, making the opening 2.3 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno92 View Post

If you can draw a triangle or reflected line between the center of the bar to the wall and the inverse of that angle can hit the listening position, you should be good on that side. The right side should be ok, and the sofa should balance out and sound lost against the left sides opening.

The rear surround may not be as effective as they would follow very similar angles to your front beam config. I would not expect a lot from the tears as your listening position is against the rear wall.

Am mostly worried about the rear side, the only reason am considering this sound bar is in hope to hear the rear channels from my favorite sofa. If you were to guess, how confident are you (70%?) this wont work?

The problem is am renting, so I don't want to drill the concrete walls else I would have installed a proper 5.1  or 7.1 system using ducts.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 PM

From your image, you are safe with getting a decent left and rear sound.

Because you are up against the rear wall, The rear beams will create some rear effect but the effect is much better if you could fashion some sofa table to sit behind the sofa to bring it out a bit from the wall.
Realistically, however, even a real 5.1 setup won't have a lot of room to breathe in your current room config at least for the rears so I would not have my expectations too high!

Good news is that the beams will have enough distance to travel to hit walls that will get to you based on your picture. The rears would help from having some distance to travel after it's reflection off the rear wall,but if the 4000 is anything like my 2200, if setup correctly, you will hear the rear noise as coming from the rear top corners of the room.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again trueno92, I believe I will give this setup a try, will do it first by setting the sound bar on top of the TV cabinet (before hanging the shelf) and if it didn't sound ~ok I will resell it...

One last question if you don't mind: will my plan to hook up everything to my TV and then connect an optical cable between the TV and the sound bar work?

post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 PM

Yes if your tv does optical out then that would be the easiest way.

What are your main goals tho? Surround sound? Movies? Music? Video gaming? The 4000 I believe does not have a subwoofer..
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Luckily am not a fan of the low beats coming out of subs and as you can see the room doesn't have any place suitable for a sub so will live without it. I might buy a small one that I wouldn't leave plugged in all the time, will just connect it during a movie night or a gaming session.

Am mostly interested in the surround effect (which might not be perfect yet would take the risk and try it). My usage is mostly movies and video games; would have gone regular 5 or 7.1 path but the boss (aka wife) wont be happy, especially in a such a room.

As far as you know, is there a wireless sub compatible with this soundbar? Shouldn't any wireless sub with "the right plug" work?

post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 AM

I don't believe there is a wireless sub. It would have to be wired I think.

If it's for occasional movies and dedicated music isn't high on the priorities, give it a go and post back when you have questions about the calibration.

It should have decent surround effect especially considering your room is quite square and generally reflective without any bookshelves/ 1/2 walls etc or very wide openings asymmetrical to the listening position.

I think you would be getting about 75% of the potential of the bar and if you move the sofa up a bit it will only get better. Then you may even want a dedicated sub!
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

One thing I cannot Remember is that the tv can pass thru the DTS or Dolby surround signals and if the bar can decode them. If not you will need your source to do PCM out and I don't know if optical can do PCM as 5.1
post #10 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You can use a wireless sub adapter with any system. You put the transmitter where the 4000 is and the receiver where the sub is. This gives a lot of flexibility as you can buy whatever sub suits your needs.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks plenty trueno92 and ttlnb; will keep you updated once I get it and test it :)

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 4000bl Digital Sound Projector Black
Gear in this thread - 4000bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page