Issue with recently Purchased Sony HT-ST7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All - New to the forum.  A couple days ago I purchased a display model HT-ST7 sound bar for 50% ($650) off at my local Sony Store's closing sale.  I asked to have it tested before I purchased but it was kind of a mad house in the store and the salesman I was working with said he personally tested the device...  My issue is a low distortion noise coming out of the right speaker, it still produces sound, but it's muffled.  With certain sounds it's harder to notice the problem, but it's definitely there.  It's easy to tell the left speaker doesn't have this problem and the Center sounds pretty good.  The good thing is that it's under warranty, and I'm having it sent in for repair.  I'm not expert with sound equipment and was curious if anyone on the forum has experienced this issue, or could help me better explain the issue on the return ticket.

My wife convinced me to purchase the sound bar to reduce the clutter of our old system with arguably better sound (denon 1909 receiver with a nice set of definitive fronts, center, sub and rear surround) until we move into a bigger place with dedicated TV room. 

I'm using the HDMI interface will all of my devices, which include blu-ray, dirctv and Apple TV.  The problem is re-produceable on all devices and when using the bluetooth connection.

Any thoughts/helps are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a Sony ST7 and didn't have this problem, you should definitely send it to a repair facility or Sony Repair Center.

If there is one thing I know about retail store salesman it's most of them will say anything to sell you the product, and that's it.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nardo, I'm not too worried about it because the issue should be pretty obvious - just hope the repair doesn't take too long.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2014, 04:04 PM

I too have this sound bar. No issues just a few adjustments and I am very pleased. I sent back a B and W panorama 2 because of volume level and cuts out when watching BD.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update - I ended up sending the HT-ST7 sound bar to Sony for repair and they got it back to me in about a week, I was impressed with the quick turnaround.  They even repackaged if far better than I sent it.  The report indicated they replaced the right speaker assembly.  

Now I think it's a great unit, with amazing sound quality in a small package.  But I'm actually thinking of flipping this one, as I miss having my larger setup.  

If anyone in the Denver metro area is interested let me know.

Mark

post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM

I like the simplicity of having a soundbar. I also have a larger system but for everyday listening the bar is great. At the end of the day you do what's good for you. I'm sure you'll find a buyer, try craigslist.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM

Liked: 29
I felt the same as you - I went from a really nice 5.2 system to this soundbar and it wasn't working for me.

But after I tweaked it a bit and watched a few different movies I managed to find a sweet spot and it sounds fantastic now - a massive soundstage and a near seamless blend with the subwoofer.

My few tips - drop the subwoofer down, they run it too hot in the default settings and it ruins everything (I have it set to 7 and it's in a large room). Also position the subwoofer as close to the soundbar as possible AND point it away from you and towards the soundbar itself. What I mean by this is have it going long ways with the fabric grill pointing in the direction of the soundbar. I find this improves the blending and cuts down the localising a great deal. Keep it in movie mode for movies as it is the most efficient (if you like to play it loud like me), has a huge soundstage and simulates surround the best. I also suggest boosting the voice mode up to 2, this seems to bring out the mid range a bit more and adds a great deal of clarity to the mix.

These tips may not work as well for you as they did me but I do recommend holding on to it for a bit and messing around with it, you'll find out how capable and impressive this soundbar can be with the right settings/positioning.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthny680 View Post
Quick update - I ended up sending the HT-ST7 sound bar to Sony for repair and they got it back to me in about a week, I was impressed with the quick turnaround.  They even repackaged if far better than I sent it.  The report indicated they replaced the right speaker assembly.  

Now I think it's a great unit, with amazing sound quality in a small package.  But I'm actually thinking of flipping this one, as I miss having my larger setup.  

If anyone in the Denver metro area is interested let me know.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm actually interested in getting this sound bar. Wonder if you still look to sell yours?

Kan
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Denon Avr 1909 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page