Sony HT CT770 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I know it was just announced a couple days ago, but does anyone have any information on the sound quality (or any other differences) of the CT770 as compared to the CT660?  I recently purchased the 660 and I am still within the return period.  I'm thinking my best bet is to return it, wait for reviews then either buy the 770 or the 660 at a hopefully discounted price.  

The lower height is a big feature for me but I worry that it may result in worse sound quality.  I have loved the quality of the 660 for the week I've had it.  

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSwatch View Post

I know it was just announced a couple days ago, but does anyone have any information on the sound quality (or any other differences) of the CT770 as compared to the CT660?  I recently purchased the 660 and I am still within the return period.  I'm thinking my best bet is to return it, wait for reviews then either buy the 770 or the 660 at a hopefully discounted price.  

The lower height is a big feature for me but I worry that it may result in worse sound quality.  I have loved the quality of the 660 for the week I've had it.  

Thank you.

No likely difference. Probably same parts and everything, just in a different speaker chassis. The sub looks identical as far as I can tell and I'm happy with my 660.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 770 looks much nicer and more minimal than the 660... Although 660 is quite of a unique design
post #4 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

I'm going to pick up this sound bar (770) so I'll let everyone know how it performs once I get my hands on it. I was going to get the 660, but the speaker stands to tall and blocks my field of view when sitting on the carpet in front of the TV while gaming (sitting on the couch is fine).

I wanted to purchase it from a retailer around where I live, but it seems to be too new to go down that road.
With that being said, looks like I'll need to utilize Amazon to get a hold of the goods.

Very excited to see how this thing performs. I'm also looking forward to the fact that it decodes Dolby Digital +, which seems to be the goto format for Roku & Chromecast (I've heard the Dolby Digital + is backwards compatible but that's a load of crap).

If anyone has any opinions or suggestion before making this purchase please do share.

Thanks and have a great day!

S smile.gif
post #5 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Since the 770 seems to be the 660 in a slightly different package, the only suggestion I have is to read the damn manual before you use it or you'll be confused/irritated/annoyed/flabbergasted by the performance. You have to tweak the settings for your particular environment and keep in mind that not all sources or discs or whatever term applies will sound the same. Some stuff might sound awesome (LOTR for example) and some things might sound muddled/murky depending on the characteristics of the sound mix and your listening environment. Also, just turn the damn thing up to the maximum volume unless you've got the bass cranked up because it really does sound best at the highest volumes.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

I have returned the 660.  In my setup the lower profile is very important.  I'm waiting on the reviews between the 370 and 770.  Now that the 370 has all of the same features as the 770, besides the tweeters and slightly different speakers, I'm finding it hard to justify the price difference.  

Davenj80 likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM

If the price is a slight concern, Sony's got a pretty good promo going on with their credit cards. If you apply and use their card you can get $100 dollars credit on your first statement. I went this route when purchasing the 770 from their site and saved 100 smackers. Works for me. smile.gif
post #8 of 18 Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccracken View Post

If the price is a slight concern, Sony's got a pretty good promo going on with their credit cards. If you apply and use their card you can get $100 dollars credit on your first statement. I went this route when purchasing the 770 from their site and saved 100 smackers. Works for me. smile.gif

Thanks for the heads-up on the Sony card promo. Did notice, however, the $100 credit doesn't get applied to your account until 8-12 weeks after the first purchase. I signed up for the Sony card and when the credit appears on the account, then I'll purchase the CT770 soundbar.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 PM

I am considering the Sony HT CT770 sound bar to pair it with my KDL-55W900A. I was wondering if anyone has this unit and what they think about this.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Im returning my 770 today for a refund. Very dissapointing to say the least. I was actually very close to keeping it, have really started to warm up to it over the past week. I like it an awful lot and really wanted to keep it but Sony always has to make things difficult dont they.

But the fact that sony failed to address muffled sound at low volume problem from the previous 660 model is a complete deal breaker for me. Just unaccceptable. Just like the 660 (which i had too but returned), the sound (forr anything, movies, games etc) completely falls off a cliff when at low to normal volumes. The clarity and detail is pretty much shot. Ive been going head to head witth my othher soundbars and its a disgrace that a baar 35% of the price of the 770 sounds clearer and better at Low volumes than a $450 sony. And considering i listen mostly at low to normal volumes, this is a deal breaker for me.

This problem has been discussed and brought up in many reviews on amazon and here for the 660. So if you didnt like the 660 cause of this, avoid the 770 because it clearly has not been fixed.

Just like the 660, this bar is reallyy only good sounding when at loud volumes. Thhe louder it plays, the better it sounds. For me, thats just unacceptable for a $450 soundbar.

EDIT: I did some more testing with this and particularly focused on the surround effects. I will say this, the surround effects on this are very impressive. I put in a gun battle scene from one of my blurays and WOW this is where this bar really excels. I was thoroughly impressed. It felt very close to 5.1, I could hear stuff and detail behind me that I didnt hear on my $180 vizio 3821W. I then went to the vizio, played the same scene and the surround effects wasnt even close to the level of the sony. The Sony was much more immersive. I really do like this Sony bar a lot, I just wish it wasnt $280 more than my vizio.

Last edited by Princeismyname; 07-06-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sorry, double post...

Last edited by JackN; 07-15-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: redundant
post #12 of 18 Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Since the 770 seems to be the 660 in a slightly different package...

A few differences:

The type and position of the drivers on the bars differs a bit; the 770's are rounder and are positioned directly above the tweeters. The 660's are oblong and the tweeters are on the outside. May make no qualitative difference, but it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

From the SONY site:

770:

• Front Speaker
    • Front Speaker General
      • Enclosure Type : Acoustic suspension
      • Tweeter Unit : 20 mm Dome type
      • Speaker System : 2-Way
      • Woofer Unit : 60mm Cone type
      • Front Grille/Material : Acoustic cloth (non-detachable)

660:

• Front Speaker
    • Front Speaker General
      • Enclosure Type : Accoustic Suspension
      • Tweeter Unit : 20mm Balanced Drive Type
      • Speaker System : 2-Way
      • Woofer Unit : 50 × 90mm Cone type
      • Front Grille/Material : Punched Metal

There're also few different processing thingies: The 770 allows for the surround processing to be turned off for each mode; the "effect" setting.

There's an auto sound mode selection option, "Clear Audio +" on the 770.

"Voice" on the 770 is now a three-point setting. The 660 allows for a + or minus 6 point adjustment. Haven't used the 770, so I don't know whether that amounts to a performance negative, but that would be my guess.

The 770 automatically optimizes the sound for wall or stand mounting (flat), based on its position.

The 660 displays signal format received by pressing the "display" button on the remote repeatedly (DTS MA, DD, etc.). The 770 remote doesn't feature a "display" button. As some reports have it, it may not be possible to display signal format on the 770.

Last edited by JackN; 07-15-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarity
post #13 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Liked: 0
i just got a KDL60W630B with the HT-CT770 and a KDL48W600B with the HT-CT660, there still in their respective boxes till Sept 1st that i'll move to the new apt, i'm trying to get some reviews, both look really great and reasonably priced.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
The 770 remote doesn't feature a "display" button. As some reports have it, it may not be possible to display signal format on the 770.
My 770 remote has the "Display" button. When I press it it dims the display. When pressed again it displays the signal format.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #15 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Does anyone know if the system has to be on to allow past-through. I just dont want to always turn un the soundbar when warching regular tv. Thx in advance
post #16 of 18 Old 10-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi folks,

Love this soundbar, but one thing is driving me crazy. The only input i have is HDMI 1 which is my Samsung F8500 51" TV. I am using HDMI control so when I use the TV volume controls it operates the sound bar.

Here's the problem. When I turn on the TV, the soundbar comes on also and goes to HDMI 1 input which is fine...a few seconds later it switches to the TV input, and of course, I have no sound at that point. I have to hit the input button to get back to HDMI 1. I have to do this every time I turn the TV on.

I have played with every one of the soundbar setup settings to get the unit to just stay on HDMI 1 all the time to no avail.

I also tried pulling the digital cable between the TV and the sound bar and that does not make a difference. Read the manual front to back and there is nothing about this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
post #17 of 18 Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
Hi folks,

Love this soundbar, but one thing is driving me crazy. The only input i have is HDMI 1 which is my Samsung F8500 51" TV. I am using HDMI control so when I use the TV volume controls it operates the sound bar.

Here's the problem. When I turn on the TV, the soundbar comes on also and goes to HDMI 1 input which is fine...a few seconds later it switches to the TV input, and of course, I have no sound at that point. I have to hit the input button to get back to HDMI 1. I have to do this every time I turn the TV on.

I have played with every one of the soundbar setup settings to get the unit to just stay on HDMI 1 all the time to no avail.

I also tried pulling the digital cable between the TV and the sound bar and that does not make a difference. Read the manual front to back and there is nothing about this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

turn off HDMI CEC control on your TV
post #18 of 18 Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks GP-SE !

However, disabling the HDMI CEC (Anynet) on the TV would eliminate the possibility of me controlling the volume and muting of the soundbar through the TV, correct? That's a great feature for me, so I'll just keep flipping the input to HDMI 1 whenever I turn on the TV.

thanks for the feedback.
Reply Soundbars
Gear in this thread - CT770 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page