Soundbars vs 2.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, I am new in the forum.

Can you please help me decide what system should I buy in order to add some decent audio to my LED TV.

Soundbar system vs 2.1 system - I am thinking in BOSE but any suggestions are welcome. I just have one wall to mount it.

CineMate® 1 SR

vs

CineMate GS Series II

Regards,

Omar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Neither of those would be my first choice. I found 2.1 is better for sound quality than any of the sound bars. If you are looking for something all in one an not adding a separate receiver I would look at these. They are excellent sounding speakers. What model TV are you connecting? there might be other options depending on the connections of your TV.

http://paradigm.com/products-current/type=system-powered
post #3 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have a Sony TV - 46 " with Internet and HDMI. What do you mean when you said not adding a separate receiver.

I understood nice about 2.1 is better, thenk you again.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Many speakers in a typical surround system need a receiver (amplifier) to power them. The system you are considering has the amplifier built in and tend to have less connections than a receiver. I know the Paradigm system for example can learn a remote control for volume so it is one less remote on the table.

Since you have a Sony TV you probably have an audio or headphone out connection, most of their models do. This allows you to use powered speakers as well and there are good options for that as well. There are a lot of options that sound better than Bose.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Wich ones would you buy, having a receiver (amplifier) is also a good option. I have a lot of space, and I will design the wall desk in order to the system. I also hav Apple TV and a PS3 that I will need to connect to the Sound System.

The only thing I don´t have is a back Wall, that's why I am not considering a 5.1 system

post #6 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 PM

What I would recommend would depend on your requirements. Where do you plan the speakers to go? on wall? in wall? free standing? Bookshelf? etc. Avoid placing in corners. What about aesthetics of the speakers. Larger speakers tend to have a fuller sound. This doesn't mean the speakers need to be huge just not tiny, like little cube speakers. How loud do you like to play? What is the budget? A receiver will add to the budget.

For reference surround speakers should go on the side walls, to the side of the listener not on the back wall.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. No corners.

I am bulding my room since scratch so I have almost any option. In the front wal (tv wall) y want to place the spekers in a bookshlef. All of them, and the tv mounted in the wall. Subwofer, center (if needed and recomended) , front left and front right.

For the back speakers I could maybe use the sides, and hang a side speaker from the roof, but I will have to fight with my wife about it, so if is not a lot of upgrade I rather stick with the idea of as many spekers as posible but all af them in the front wall (bookshelf).

Mi budget is around 400-500 usd.

How loud.? Pretty normal, basic high for movies and that'sbacause we can't put it very hard because we have small kids. Cinema loud is enoghf. I like to wath nfl games also, not very loud but with quality.

Speakes size. I would choose smallest as posible with out sacrificing qualty.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't recommend placing speakers in bookshelves. It alters the sound, kind of like cupping for hands around your mouth. Bookshelf speakers were never meant to go on bookshelves. The Bose you mentioned were more than $500 so my initial suggestions were more as well. With an overall budget of under $500 I would just do 2.1 or even just stereo speakers. Trying to do a surround set up for that money really compromises sound quality. I would also use active speakers unless you can find some used equipment at a good discount.

My favorite in your price range would be the JBL LSR-305 speakers with a subwoofer. Or the LSR-308 or Paradigm Shift A2 without a sub. The problem with those is they are not that small but the sound quality for the price is tough to beat.

Some small speaker suggestions would be M-Audio AV-40 , JBL Control 2P, Samson MediaOne and Focal XS Book, add a Dayton subwoofer. All of these can be set up using your TVs volume control and connected to the audio out of your TV. Using active speakers keeps another remote off the table and simplifies the system.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I did not do the math correctly - MXP vs USD - my budget is around 800 usd. Would you by a 2.1 Home Theater or should I stay with the active speakers?

post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 AM

It will depend on how you plan to use the system. Any speaker designer will tell you active speakers have an advantage or passive, the crossover can be more precise and the amps driving the speaker directly will have lower distortion, etc. The problem with active speakers is comparatively there is not that many of them and choices for a given application can be limited. And since most of them are used in the pro world, aesthetics are not their primary concern.

The Millenia CT system mentioned is an excellent sounding small system but sas the advantages (aesthetics) and disadvantages (dynamics) of small systems. I have a MilleniaOne 2.1 system in my home and really enjoy it. I also us Paradigm Shift A2 speakers with a sub on another TV system in my home. I like the sound quality of the Millenia system better but lacks the dynamics of the Shift A2 speakers. I wanted some Genelec G4s and tried them in my house but couldn't justify the 5x the price over the Paradigm Shift speakers. The JBLs give the paradigm shift a run for the money but the Shift speakers have DSP which gives better bass at low volumes.

Larger speakers will have a fuller sound and greater dynamics and of course volume but that is not a concern for you. For about the same money as the Millenia CT you could get JBLs and a good sub. The disadvantage is their aesthetics, size and you probably wouldn't mount them on a wall which you could do with the Millenia speakers if desired.

With $800 you could use a receiver with passive speakers and sub. The advantage here is you will have a LOT more choices to fit your aesthetics as well as more connection possibilities. The disadvantage is it adds complexity, another remote and piece of equipment to the mix. Not a big deal if you have a good universal remote.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I just received an offer about this one Home Theater 5.1 Sony BDV-E2100 for 350 USD her in mexico is a very good price, would you go for it?

post #12 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM

I would pass, not even close to the same league as the others suggested. BTW, it is only $250 on amazon and Walmart if you are in the US.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
How about a 2.1 tabletop soundbar? It takes up less space than having a set of speakers and sub and is Bluetooth enabled.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/sound-bar-sound-sole-2-1.html
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page