AVS Forum banner

Looking for a soundbar and in need of some advice

426 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Moonwalker1982 
#1 ·
Right now when i watch movies/shows or play a game, i have my Astro headphones on. For gaming it's quite alright, but let's be real....for watching movies i should use something similar to normal speakers. Instead of going for a surround set my eyes have cought some soundbars.

Right now it's between two different ones and i hope to hear some impressions and experiences on the two:

LG NB3530

Philips HTL9100

I'd pick the LG cause the price is super, only 177 euros in several stores right now. However, one certain store now also has a discount on the Philips and it's 477 euros.

The pro that the Philips seems to have over the LG is that it does support HDMI, something the LG does not, it only supports optical. For Xbox 360, PS3 and in the future Xbox One and PS4 optical is fine, however not for Wii U and also not for my Microsoft Surface Pro. I definitely will be hoooking the soundbar up to the Surface now and then, but the Surface does not have optical, only HDMI. But i read mixed reviews about the Philips (especially on Dutch sites) and much better ones for the LG.

Now as for my questions:

1- Which ones provides the overall better sound? Which ones provides me with a powerful gunshot in shooter games and movies? So basically...which ones overall is best when it comes to sound?

2- I am using a projector for my gaming and movies, and i sit about 5 meters away from the screen. The plan is to put the soundbar below or above the screen. How good is the range of both LG and Philips? Do i need to crank the volume up like crazy or are both quite well sounding, even from a distance?

3- Is there a way to have the LG working with optical combined with the Wii U or Surface Pro, even though both do not have optical outputs?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.