AVS Forum banner

Not an Audiophile, should i replace my old 5.1 setup with a good soundbar?

887 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  taichi4 
#1 ·
Hi

I moved in to a new apartment, and this was my old setup:

Outputs: projector and TV in the same area.

Inputs: PC, PS3, Media Player (Plex), HD TV receiver.

I used an HDMI matrix to either display on projector or TV.

I had the 5.1 audio system setup and it was only connected to the project, and for the TV i was using the builtin TV speakers.

However, I was mainly using the projector to use my computer, 90% of the time, and rarely watched movies or played games. It was nice to lay back on the couch and do all the computer work.

So now, I moved into a new apartment, similar area size and layout of living room.

As you all know, having speakers all around and A/V system is a hassle and doesn't look so good. Also, since I don't watch a lot of movies on the projector (even when i do, i'm not an audiophile at all, so a good audio is good enough for me), i'm thinking to replace the complicated 5.1 system with a really good soundbar.

Is it a good idea or not? If yes, which soundbars do you recommend?

My movie sources are mixed, with all types of formats (DTS, TrueHD, blueray rips....etc.).

Note that my projector doesn't have optical output. Only 2 HDMIs. (projector reference: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H373120#2 )

Appreciate any feedback and help.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I think a soundbar with true 5.1...that is, with physical satellites...will be a good substitute. I'm waiting for Vizio's 54 inch 5.1 model as its length seems to promise real left-center-right separation, important in the creation of an expansive front soundstage.

I'm not sure about inputs, as the thing isn't out yet. C'mon Vizio!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.