post #31 of 147 Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticHaze View Post

Do you guys know if the satellite speakers are the same between the 42 and the 54 models?
No, they're not. The 54's satellites have larger cabinets vs the 42's satellites, and have 3 inch drivers vs 2.5 inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today is D Day (Delivery Day) for ArcticHaze.

Hey. I'm excited!
post #33 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Today is D Day (Delivery Day) for ArcticHaze.

Hey. I'm excited!
Haha Im still at work and I got an update that it got delivered. I'll be excited to pair this thing with my Panasonic ZT60. My review will be posted later on tonight
post #34 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haha Im still at work and I got an update that it got delivered. I'll be excited to pair this thing with my Panasonic ZT60. My review will be posted later on tonight
Whoa...a ZT60. A man with taste. You deserve good sound with such a set. I hope it delivers.

Did you ever consider quitting your job so you can get home sooner to set it up? Just consider it.
post #35 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Time for some pics!

This thing is massive! You can see the satellite speakers of the 42 on the left side of the pics

Here is how the satellites compare for the 42 and 54

42 inch sound bar on a 65 inch ZT60

54 inch sound bar on a 65 inch ZT60. It almost fills it up!

post #36 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM

MY REVIEW:

The best movie to test the capabilities of any sound system (at least for me) is chase scene on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Its the scene where Tom Cruise runs out of the hotel and a sandstorm shows up the a car chase follows.

When I initially got the 42 inch version my honest reaction when I saw that scene on that movie was meh that was it? I was not please at all, I scored it 6/10 but at least I had a real surround sound experience since I can hear the sandstorm behind me. I could never accomplish that with a plain soundbar, even the high end ones. When I read that a 54 inch version was coming out soon I eagerly awaited its arrival.

I saw the same scene again last night so I can have a point of comparison that was current for today's delivery. I still felt the same exact way. Now when I watched the same scene on the 54 inch version, I honestly said WOW finally the sound compliments this good and massive TV. Dont get me wrong a real 5.1 setup with a decent receiver will still sound better than this. BUT for the price and convenience of this product nothing can beat it and its pretty darn close or equal to a traditional 5.1 setup. I would gladly do the upgrade from the 42 to the 54 once again if I had the chance. The soundstage on the 42 just didn't match the 65 inch TV. Which brings me to the next topic - the sound stage. The sound stage is A LOT wider. The L C R channels are now very distinct even when you do the noise test. Now, you can actually tell the voice is coming from the center channel. Also since all the speaker drivers are bigger the sound is much deeper now too. I definitely do not have any complaints this time around. The product delivered as I expected

If you are on the fence regarding this sound bar... go ahead and buy it, you will not regret it. 10/10 I am a happy customer!
post #37 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
MY REVIEW:

The best movie to test the capabilities of any sound system (at least for me) is chase scene on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Its the scene where Tom Cruise runs out of the hotel and a sandstorm shows up the a car chase follows.

When I initially got the 42 inch version my honest reaction when I saw that scene on that movie was meh that was it? I was not please at all, I scored it 6/10 but at least I had a real surround sound experience since I can hear the sandstorm behind me. I could never accomplish that with a plain soundbar, even the high end ones. When I read that a 54 inch version was coming out soon I eagerly awaited its arrival.

I saw the same scene again last night so I can have a point of comparison that was current for today's delivery. I still felt the same exact way. Now when I watched the same scene on the 54 inch version, I honestly said WOW finally the sound compliments this good and massive TV. Dont get me wrong a real 5.1 setup with a decent receiver will still sound better than this. BUT for the price and convenience of this product nothing can beat it and its pretty darn close or equal to a traditional 5.1 setup. I would gladly do the upgrade from the 42 to the 54 once again if I had the chance. The soundstage on the 42 just didn't match the 65 inch TV. Which brings me to the next topic - the sound stage. The sound stage is A LOT wider. The L C R channels are now very distinct even when you do the noise test. Now, you can actually tell the voice is coming from the center channel. Also since all the speaker drivers are bigger the sound is much deeper now too. I definitely do not have any complaints this time around. The product delivered as I expected

If you are on the fence regarding this sound bar... go ahead and buy it, you will not regret it. 10/10 I am a happy customer!
Nice review!
I agree that this 54" Soundbar from Vizio is the bomb!
Has it made me forget about what I recently gave up (Denon 4311 receiver, Polk RTi 7.2 speaker system..... almost
One question.... how do you have your soundbar hooked up, HDMI input and/or output, optical/coax...?

StayThristyMyFriends
post #38 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Nice review!
I agree that this 54" Soundbar from Vizio is the bomb!
Has it made me forget about what I recently gave up (Denon 4311 receiver, Polk RTi 7.2 speaker system..... almost
One question.... how do you have your soundbar hooked up, HDMI input and/or output, optical/coax...?
I have my PS4, XB1 and Oppo Bluray all hooked into http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0GY1C

Then I use that to switch the optical signal. My TV (even with its crazy price point) cant pass through DTS or Dolby signal. With this solution I get DTS or Dolby Digital from all 3 sources.
post #39 of 147 Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad you're happy with it, ArcticHaze!

At one point you said it's nearly the equal of a discrete 5.1 system, and elsewhere you said equivalent. Maybe when you live with it longer, and experiment with it, your opinion on that will become more refined.

One thing I would do eventually is put the sub near the TV, and swap out the satellite cables with longer RCAs, so that you can maintain their rear placement. I think this would create a fuller, more coherent sound, and eliminate any possible directionality from the sub.

Congratulations.
post #40 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 AM

It did pass the ultimate test last night... The Wife

She actually said wow this sounds a lot better. It's fuller, it surrounds and fills the whole room. Everything just sounds bigger!

Of course she does not know all the technical differences of the 42 vs the 54 other than the sound bar is a lot longer. But, you know its good when your significant other actually recognizes that there is a difference.
post #41 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still interested in comparisons with a discrete 5.1 system.

Does it have less bass?
Less sparkly highs?

I saw that you posted your review on Amazon.
post #42 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM

My comparison is mainly against its 42 inch sibling. It has a deeper base mainly because of the bigger diameter of the sub and the size of the enclosure. The sound is overall more pronounced because of the bigger speaker drivers. Highs are still a bit lacking but I would not consider is as a big issue. That's a limitation of the setup since there are no dedicated tweeters.

Playing music into the 54 inch version compared to the 42 inch version via Bluetooth was a night and day difference. The 42 inch was so bad that I never used it. The 54 inch sounds amazing with very deep tones. I'm sure the other owners on here would agree with this observation.

Last edited by ArcticHaze; 06-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #43 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My comparison is mainly against its 42 inch sibling. It has a deeper base mainly because of the bigger diameter of the sub and the size of the enclosure. The sound is overall more pronounced because of the bigger speaker drivers. Highs are still a bit lacking but I would not consider is as a big issue. That's a limitation of the setup since there are no dedicated tweeters.

Playing music into the 54 inch version compared to the 42 inch version via Bluetooth was a night and day difference. The 42 inch was so bad that I never used it. The 54 inch sounds amazing with very deep tones. I'm sure the other owners on here would agree with this observation.
Yes I would agree..... music sounds excellent through this soundbar.
I would never had guessed that this soundbar doesn't have tweeters.
I don't find the highs lacking at all... instead I find the highs sweet and mellow, just the way I like them.
I find all but the best tweeters shrill and overly bright.... love the Ascend RAAL Ribbon tweeter, but that tweeter probably won't be in a soundbar in the near future

StayThristyMyFriends
post #44 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since you are a tweeter aficionado and still find the highs sweet, that's a good thing.

Also impressive given that you only like one brand of ribbon. I also find many tweeters shrill. What kind of ribbon does Goldenear use?

And no interference from wifi? Does the manual state what kind if wireless protocol it's using?

One goog thing is that, except for the crossover to the sub, there is no crossover from mod to high in the Vizio, which should add to purity of tone.
post #45 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since you are a tweeter aficionado and still find the highs sweet, that's a good thing.

Also impressive given that you only like one brand of ribbon. I also find many tweeters shrill. What kind of ribbon does Goldenear use?

And no interference from wifi? Does the manual state what kind if wireless protocol it's using?

One goog thing is that, except for the crossover to the sub, there is no crossover from mod to high in the Vizio, which should add to purity of tone.
I wouldn't say I'm a "tweeter aficionado" and I wouldn't say I "only like one brand of ribbon"....
I would say I've heard some crappy sounding tweeters and I would say I've heard and liked the Ascend ribbon tweeter.

StayThristyMyFriends
post #46 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a "tweeter aficionado" and I wouldn't say I "only like one brand of ribbon"....
I would say I've heard some crappy sounding tweeters and I would say I've heard and liked the Ascend ribbon tweeter.
In any event, you like the Vizio's highs, and don't find them deficient.

Would you say the system has a spacious sound?
post #47 of 147 Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Haze, you're really lucky to have so much room under your tv on the stand! That alone REALLY helps make using the vizio bars much easier to get in place for tv's on stands. Raising my tv was most of the work to getting the bar in place.

Quote:
I don't find the highs lacking at all... instead I find the highs sweet and mellow, just the way I like them.
I find all but the best tweeters shrill and overly bright
Heck, I feel the same way about the 42" bar. I've heard a few 5.1 systems and they over hype the highs, it seems to me. I'm perfectly fine dropping the bass a notch and raising the treble a notch on the vizio to give a little shelf to the highs.

Last edited by Shockwave199; 06-26-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #48 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shockwave:

On the Vizio 42 inch thread there's a discussion about whether these 5.1 wireless soundbars are accurately playing 5.1. A poster named sethsez had the following (excerpted) to say.

"...I called Vizio and asked about this behavior. Long discussion short, yep, this is working as intended. A mono signal is sent to the surrounds and then expanded to cut down on latency since it's a wireless connection. Because of this, using a true 5.1 signal is only somewhat better than using fake surround processing: it doesn't simulate what gets sent to the surrounds, but it still simulates what happens there..."

You were part of that discussion, so I wanted to know what you thought, and whether this applies to the 54 inch as well.
post #49 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post
Haze, you're really lucky to have so much room under your tv on the stand! That alone REALLY helps make using the vizio bars much easier to get in place for tv's on stands. Raising my tv was most of the work to getting the bar in place.
I'm very lucky that this TV has a very odd stand Even the 54 inch sound bar fits under it.
post #50 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Shockwave:

On the Vizio 42 inch thread there's a discussion about whether these 5.1 wireless soundbars are accurately playing 5.1. A poster named sethsez had the following (excerpted) to say.

"...I called Vizio and asked about this behavior. Long discussion short, yep, this is working as intended. A mono signal is sent to the surrounds and then expanded to cut down on latency since it's a wireless connection. Because of this, using a true 5.1 signal is only somewhat better than using fake surround processing: it doesn't simulate what gets sent to the surrounds, but it still simulates what happens there..."

You were part of that discussion, so I wanted to know what you thought, and whether this applies to the 54 inch as well.
Yeah follow the other thread for that. Someone with the 54" will have to weigh in for that observation. Whatever is going on, I'm continually wowed, that's for sure! As far as TV stands, they should be height adjustable to accommodate sound bars!
post #51 of 147 Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In any event, you like the Vizio's highs, and don't find them deficient.

Would you say the system has a spacious sound?
Yes.... room filling spaciousness

StayThristyMyFriends
post #52 of 147 Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess my real question is does the sound have transparency and depth, like the sound is floating in the air?

Glad you're enjoying it!
post #53 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I guess my real question is does the sound have transparency and depth, like the sound is floating in the air?

Glad you're enjoying it!
This is definitely YES and this was a big thing missing from the 42 inch version which made it feel so inadequate.
post #54 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is definitely YES and this was a big thing missing from the 42 inch version which made it feel so inadequate.
That's why I argued for this model, over the 42. It simply had to sound better acoustically.

I've read a couple of reviews...one from Digital Trends, which really liked it but thought the lack of separate tweeter muted the highs somewhat. I imagine it would be better in a somewhat reverberant environment, like a typical living room.

One positive benefit to using single 3 inch drivers, is that without a crossover, sound is clearer in one of the most vital areas of the midrange.
post #55 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That's why I argued for this model, over the 42. It simply had to sound better acoustically.

I've read a couple of reviews...one from Digital Trends, which really liked it but thought the lack of separate tweeter muted the highs somewhat. I imagine it would be better in a somewhat reverberant environment, like a typical living room.

One positive benefit to using single 3 inch drivers, is that without a crossover, sound is clearer in one of the most vital areas of the midrange.
Let me simply put it this way... when I got the 42 inch version and I finished setting it up I literally said WTF did I just buy? It was inadequate for my TV size, room size, streamed music, and overall sound quality. I don't exactly know what made me double down and buy the 54 inch rather than getting a real 5.1 setup. I'm guessing because it looked aesthetically pleasing to me and I didn't need to bother with wires and such. But this time around it met all my expectations and then some.
post #56 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM

I know some things have been improved with this model. But, what percentage of it is just the bar being a more appropriate size for larger TV's? Also, has the volume increments thing been fixed?
post #57 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post
I know some things have been improved with this model. But, what percentage of it is just the bar being a more appropriate size for larger TV's? Also, has the volume increments thing been fixed?
The owners on this thread can answer with regard to to the volume increments, but the 54 inch soundbar and satellites use larger drivers...3 inch vs 2.5. That has a real impact on the sound.

By the way, besides the advantage of the single 3 inch driver in terms of avoidance of crossover in the lower midrange, using the same driver throughout creates a very cohesive, seamless soundfield.

There's a reason that owners of both prefer the 54 inch model.
post #58 of 147 Old 07-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question about how the audio from the TV is processed. I see this listed in the about review
"In addition, if your TV is Audio Return Channel-enabled, no additional audio connected need be made as audio originating from the TV can be passed back through the HDMI input of the TV back to the sound bar for decoding or processing."

If you have a device plugged into the HDMI input (PS3) and then have a HDMI cable in the HDMI output going to the TV for the video, how do you get audio back from the TV in this manner (for when I'm watching OTA)? I feel like I'm missing something.
post #59 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys know if the 5430 and the 5451 use the same main 3.0 bar? I only ask because I already have a powered sub and surrounds and am looking to save some money.
post #60 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Do you guys know if the 5430 and the 5451 use the same main 3.0 bar? I only ask because I already have a powered sub and surrounds and am looking to save some money.
The 54 inch 3.0 has one 3 inch driver for the left channel, one 3 inch for center, and one 3 inch for the right channel, as well as containing a bass module.

The 54 inch 5.1 has two 3 inch drivers for the left channel, one 3 inch for center, and two 3 inch drivers for the right channel, and has no bass module, since it has a subwoofer.

That's a substantial difference.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page