54 Inch Vizio 5.1 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This new soundbar is really intriguing me..

Here's a question that may sound dumb but here goes: would it be possible to attach it to the bottom of a mounted Samsung UN65H7150 using 3M heavy duty foam tape (or something else)?

As my tv is mounted in a corner, and it's huge, it'd be the only practical way for me to have it unless I shop for a perfect shaped triangle table.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You'd be much better off going with something like this. Tape will not hold.

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-...BXTPTXE3QXNNQA
post #63 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post
You'd be much better off going with something like this. Tape will not hold.

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-...BXTPTXE3QXNNQA
Nice wasn't aware that kind of things existed.

Thanks.
post #64 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The reviews for this soundbar are almost universally great...except for the newest buyeron Amazon (no 16 as of yesterday). He was pretty critical. Given all the glowing ones, it's odd for sure. I wonder if any of the owners on this thread have read it?
post #65 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM

For every product there's good and bad reviews. You have to see for yourself.
post #66 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been pushing for this soundbar for a long time on AVS, based on specs and technology. I'm waiting for Best Buy to actually carry the 54 inch (which Vizio said they would) so that I can hear it.

Until then I'm getting vicarious semi-satisfaction by reading other's reviews.

Did you read that review?
post #67 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Another question that I have about it: I did read that most TVs will not pass 5.1 properly to other devices.

Since there is not enough hdmi ports in the bar how do I get true 5.1 to the soundbar if my HDMI sources are plugged in the TV?
post #68 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamTheMan99 View Post
Another question that I have about it: I did read that most TVs will not pass 5.1 properly to other devices.

Since there is not enough hdmi ports in the bar how do I get true 5.1 to the soundbar if my HDMI sources are plugged in the TV?
Possibly a splitter? Also you can probably run an optical cable from another device into the Vizio, since it has an optical port as well.
post #69 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I've been pushing for this soundbar for a long time on AVS, based on specs and technology. I'm waiting for Best Buy to actually carry the 54 inch (which Vizio said they would) so that I can hear it.

Yeah I read it. The thing is that you don't know peoples understandings and attitudes. Many people start from a bias perspective, coming from higher end systems. Some just like to find fault in almost everything, thinking that makes them a know-it-all. I read reviews for trends. If enough people find a common problem, it something to consider. When I bought the 42" I went with Best Buy locally, instead of Amazon. If I didn't like it, it was a car ride away to return it. I didn't hear it there- a store doesn't tell me anything about sound potential, really. It was just for the ease of return if needed.

Last edited by Shockwave199; 07-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #70 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Possibly a splitter? Also you can probably run an optical cable from another device into the Vizio, since it has an optical port as well.
I'll check on my prospective TV's owner thread to see how they'd handle this.

How do you guys get the sound to it without an AV Receiver in the mix though and still get 5.1 100%?
post #71 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll check on my prospective TV's owner thread to see how they'd handle this.

How do you guys get the sound to it without an AV Receiver in the mix though and still get 5.1 100%?
I don't own one yet, but an HDMI (or optical) cable from a Bluray to the soundbar will pass 5.1.
post #72 of 160 Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wrong thread.. Sorry
post #73 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Liked: 10
How would you go about setting up the rear speakers? It has no stands. This could be a problem?
post #74 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

They didn't by chance hint when Best Buy would start carrying the 54" did they? I have some gift cards and gift certs I need to spend there. Patiently waiting...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
post #75 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaShaka View Post
They didn't by chance hint when Best Buy would start carrying the 54" did they? I have some gift cards and gift certs I need to spend there. Patiently waiting...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Between Vizio's usual fuzzy response. and Best Buy's uninformed response, I haven't a clue. Based on nothing at all I'd guess a month or two.
post #76 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any news when places like Costco and Sam's Club might begin selling the 5451?
post #77 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 19
I've been waiting for this larger soundbar for a year, so finally I want to pick one up. I read that the sub and soundbar communicate via 2.4ghz signal. Is that true? I remember Vizio stating you need a "a line of sight" to the soundbar for sub placement.

Just want to make sure. I have a huge couch with space and wall behind me. Will placing the sub behind the couch, with no line of sight be a problem?
post #78 of 160 Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just called tech support at Vizio and they said it should have some line of sight, even if only peeking out from behind the sofa or chair at the soundbar. You might want to wait for an owner on this thread to address this based on experience.

Frankly, if I got one of these I would overlook the advantage of not having to run wires to the rear of the room, get long RCA cables, and put the subwoofer at the front of the room near the soundbar. I would do that because although the lower range of the sub is essentially omnidirectional, the upper end of it may generate some directional cues. Placing it at the front should provide a better, more coherent sound, IMO.
post #79 of 160 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:

I answered this earlier in this thread...

I have my PS4, XB1 and Oppo Bluray all hooked into http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0GY1C

Then I use that to switch the optical signal. My TV (even with its crazy price point) cant pass through DTS or Dolby signal. With this solution I get DTS or Dolby Digital from all 3 sources.
post #80 of 160 Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill View Post
How would you go about setting up the rear speakers? It has no stands. This could be a problem?
Cheap satellite stands can be purchased for $25 or so...
post #81 of 160 Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

most TV's do not pass 5.1 audio (thanks HDCP) - it gets downgraded to stereo. you would have to get a splitter or decide who gets 5.1 in your device tree. I've tried to get a splitter in the past and it was clunky in my setup. If I bite on this receiver I will probably just hook the PS3 directly to HDMI and run other devices as stereo thru the tv. Sad panda.
post #82 of 160 Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM

I have one. Sounds great but some comments.

Only one HDMI input. Originally feeding four HDMI's to Sammy 60" with Optical Out from it to SB. NO 5.1. Sammy downgrades Optical Out to Stereo. Tried my Sony receiver to do HDMI switching. Picture OK but NO audio at all. Ordered an HDMI 5 x 1 switch from Amazon. Experience in the past is that they are iffy. ANYONE HAVE ANY BETTER IDEAS?

Re the question re Sub behind couch. No issues for me doing that. BT is RF and should go right through a couch unless it is one of the one's made from a 60's Cadillac back end.

I thought BT would be flaky but no issues whatsoever. Never disconnects. Never any interference. Pairing with your phone is pretty cool for music.

The remote is kind of hard to read and not very intuitive. Let my Harmony One take over for it. Yes, Logitech already has this puppy in their database.

To me, wider is better to obtain left/right separation. If they sold 60", I would have bought it.

It's pretty plug 'n play except for the dearth of HDMI inputs

Probably not for an audiophile but plenty good enough for me.
post #83 of 160 Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the clarification on the "behind the couch scenario." I never take what the Vizio reps say as final.

When you say that the soundbar is probably not for audiophiles, is there some audible deficiency that you can point to?
post #84 of 160 Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the "behind the couch scenario." I never take what the Vizio reps say as final.

When you say that the soundbar is probably not for audiophiles, is there some audible deficiency that you can point to?
All a matter of perception. For $500 it's outstanding too me but I'm sure a $5,000 setup with big amp and speakers would be much better.

I have found my biggest issue is Dolby Digital Plus that evidently Netflix uses. As stated above, I discovered my Sammy TV only outputs Stereo via the Optical Out. On my Roku3, it would not do Surround, just Stereo. Tried some tests. Running the Roku to HDMI In and the HDMI (ARC) to the TV this box will not do Netflix Surround. Until Roku is switched to Stereo there is no sound at all. It does seem to do DirecTV Surround. Since there is no fancy display telling you what is outputted, I watched Batman to see if the rears were just mirroring the front channels or doing there own thing. They seemed to be operating independently of the fronts.

Not supporting all formats could be a big negative for the soundbar. $500 for what may be or become just a stereo is a bit steep. That may be why it would not play sound from my Sony A/V via HDMI. I am becoming concerned but won't know until my 5 X 1 HDMI switch comes tomorrow.

Last edited by schneid; 07-16-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #85 of 160 Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response.

It should play 5.1 out of your AVR. Not playing 5.1 out of the TV is not unusual for many sets.
post #86 of 160 Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
All a matter of perception. For $500 it's outstanding too me but I'm sure a $5,000 setup with big amp and speakers would be much better.

I have found my biggest issue is Dolby Digital Plus that evidently Netflix uses. As stated above, I discovered my Sammy TV only outputs Stereo via the Optical Out. On my Roku3, it would not do Surround, just Stereo. Tried some tests. Running the Roku to HDMI In and the HDMI (ARC) to the TV this box will not do Netflix Surround. Until Roku is switched to Stereo there is no sound at all. It does seem to do DirecTV Surround. Since there is no fancy display telling you what is outputted, I watched Batman to see if the rears were just mirroring the front channels or doing there own thing. They seemed to be operating independently of the fronts.

Not supporting all formats could be a big negative for the soundbar. $500 for what may be or become just a stereo is a bit steep. That may be why it would not play sound from my Sony A/V via HDMI. I am becoming concerned but won't know until my 5 X 1 HDMI switch comes tomorrow.
You need a new TV
My Vizio passes Netflix DD Plus just fine to the 5451....

StayThristyMyFriends
post #87 of 160 Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
You need a new TV
My Vizio passes Netflix DD Plus just fine to the 5451....
NO TV involved. Roku3 connected to HDMI IN of SB. HDMI video passed on to TV via HDMI (ARC) OUT. Are you using a Roku3? In Roku general Settings, Surround is selected. In Netflix if you Down Arrow twice you get Netflix Audio settings. Selecting Surround there results in NO sound. Picking Stereo produces sound.

Not just me or Vizio SB:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...f7ee8a18ea9d5e

I think the Vizio SB does NOT support DD+. It doesn't list it as supported on the box either.
post #88 of 160 Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It isn't Dolby Digital Plus capable, only Dolby Digital.

And from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

"...Much consumer gear, and even some professional gear, does not recognize Dolby Digital Plus as an encoded format, and will treat DD+ signals over a S/PDIF or similar interface, or stored in a .WAV file or similar container format, as though they were linear PCM data. .."
post #89 of 160 Old 07-17-2014, 04:10 PM

The problem is the Vizio SB should replace the need for an AVR. Anyway, got my 5 X 1 HDMI switch today so I can feed DirecTV, Samsung BD, Roku3 and Chromecast to HDMI of Vizio SB. All work except Roku3 5.1. Stereo only. New issue is Samsung BD will not do its embedded Netflix at all now. Blank screen and no sound. Of interest, the SB will flash a DD symbol for a little bit when decoding it. I going to downgrade to two older Roku's to see if they are compatible. don't know why Netflix would chose a not widely available protocol to do 5.1. I used to have 7.2 and was disappointed little used it. Now I've reversed my issues.
post #90 of 160 Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Does this model have headphone-out? And if it does, will I be able to use my headphones on all programming from tv, netflix, amazon?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page