54 Inch Vizio 5.1 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 165 Old 07-19-2014, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone done an in-home comparison between the 54" Vizio soundbar and the Sony HT-CT770? Even though the Sony is only a 2.1 system, it receives great reviews and is in about the same price range ($50-$100 cheaper) as the Vizio. Unfortunately, I can't do an in-store comparison until Best Buy carries the 54" Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I've been consistently watching the Amazon website to read the latest reviews on the 54 inch 5.1 Vizio. Up until yesterday there were about 17 or 18 reviews in total, most of them very positive.

Yesterday Amazon did something which surprised me... they folded the reviews for the 42 inch soundbar (a completely different soundbar sonically, and in terms of drivers used) with those for the 54 inch model. So today, unless you read the reviews carefully, particularly the user's heading for their review, you will think there are 768 reviews for the 54 inch soundbar.

Looking at 768 reviews, overwhelmingly positive, you might be inclined to buy the 54 inch without a critical look, based on a false statistic. I am convinced, without hearing it yet, that the 54 inch fills a unique niche, and is a very good product, but this review practice, if not unintentional, is not a good precedent.

I lodged a complaint with Amazon yesterday, and maybe it takes some time for them to correct this. But it really is not helpful to the consumer to not know that he may be reading and assessing an inappropriate review.
post #93 of 165 Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apparently Sam's will be carrying it soon and for an awesome price...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-hom...6.ip?navAction=
ViralDonutz likes this.
post #94 of 165 Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaShaka View Post

That's good news. I imagine Costco will follow.
post #95 of 165 Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It isn't Dolby Digital Plus capable, only Dolby Digital.

And from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

"...Much consumer gear, and even some professional gear, does not recognize Dolby Digital Plus as an encoded format, and will treat DD+ signals over a S/PDIF or similar interface, or stored in a .WAV file or similar container format, as though they were linear PCM data. .."
Since it will not support Netflix surround in DD+ via Roku, I decided to try Amazon Fire TV. Read, but can't confirm, that Fire has the same issue, NO SOUND, with DD+ BUT, if you feed to the 54" with Digital Optical, it will downcode it to DD. That would be acceptable to me. Fire coming today. Hope it works. If not, I guess this was a big 500 buck mistake and I'll have find something with up to date audio processing.
post #96 of 165 Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
Since it will not support Netflix surround in DD+ via Roku, I decided to try Amazon Fire TV. Read, but can't confirm, that Fire has the same issue, NO SOUND, with DD+ BUT, if you feed to the 54" with Digital Optical, it will downcode it to DD. That would be acceptable to me. Fire coming today. Hope it works. If not, I guess this was a big 500 buck mistake and I'll have find something with up to date audio processing.
Okay. FireTV works. Have surround 5.1 again on Netflix. HDMI Video, Optical Audio. FireTV is pretty slick. Not documented but you can plug a BT dongle into its USB port and pair KB's and Mice. To see if it work I paired my MS Entertainment KB to it.

Roku3 to the bone yard.
post #97 of 165 Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good for you. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Amazon streaming is pretty good. I get excellent quality on most streams even though I have a slow DSL. Amazon gets some good media, and its original content is also good.

Now, how do you like the audio on the S5451-C2?
post #98 of 165 Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Good for you. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Amazon streaming is pretty good. I get excellent quality on most streams even though I have a slow DSL. Amazon gets some good media, and its original content is also good.

Now, how do you like the audio on the S5451-C2?
Considering price and ease of installation, its great.
post #99 of 165 Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 AM

To owners of this model, is there a way to connect headphones to it? I hear such good things about this system I want to buy it, but I'm holding off until I know I can hook up headphones and get audio on antenna programming. I don't have any cable/satellite. Just OTA and netflix, amazon from the smart hub. Will this soundbar work out for me? I am using a Samsung UN65H6350.
post #100 of 165 Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill View Post
To owners of this model, is there a way to connect headphones to it? I hear such good things about this system I want to buy it, but I'm holding off until I know I can hook up headphones and get audio on antenna programming. I don't have any cable/satellite. Just OTA and netflix, amazon from the smart hub. Will this soundbar work out for me? I am using a Samsung UN65H6350.
NO.
post #101 of 165 Old 07-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Now available to purchase online. Just picked one up. $420.XX after tax, free shipping...
post #102 of 165 Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralDonutz View Post
Now available to purchase online. Just picked one up. $420.XX after tax, free shipping...
Do you have to be a Sam's Club member to purchase?
post #103 of 165 Old 07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
LKM

Hello All ,

This is my first post in the forums and I'd like to hear some opinions/advice. Right now I have the Sony STR-DH540 receiver paired with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set. It is an improvement from the Onkyo HTIB I previously had, but I don't feel it is dramatically better. I guess I'm no audiophile . Anyways, I'm very interested in this 54 inch Vizio 5.1 sound bar for the convenience/less clutter. Do you think I will be disappointed in the sound quality coming from what I have? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Btw, in regards to the previous post concerning Sam's Club/non-members, 10% is added to the price for non-members.
post #104 of 165 Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
Do you have to be a Sam's Club member to purchase?
No, though there is a 10% surcharge if you're not a member. That puts the final total at $386 + $38.60 = $424.60 -- still the best price I've seen.

Alternatively, a regular membership is $45. Less for college students. So maybe it's worth it to you to get a membership...
post #105 of 165 Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
No, though there is a 10% surcharge if you're not a member. That puts the final total at $386 + $38.60 = $424.60 -- still the best price I've seen.

Alternatively, a regular membership is $45. Less for college students. So maybe it's worth it to you to get a membership...
Might as well for the difference, huh?
post #106 of 165 Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 AM

Just placed my order on Sam's for the 54" Sound Bar, followed by my order on Amazon to finish up the package

Bracket(going to mount on top of the TV):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Decided to mount on top of the TV since the soundbar would block the remote sensor, and to prevent my tv stand from deflecting any sound.

Speaker Stands:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #107 of 165 Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKM View Post
Hello All ,

This is my first post in the forums and I'd like to hear some opinions/advice. Right now I have the Sony STR-DH540 receiver paired with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set. It is an improvement from the Onkyo HTIB I previously had, but I don't feel it is dramatically better. I guess I'm no audiophile . Anyways, I'm very interested in this 54 inch Vizio 5.1 sound bar for the convenience/less clutter. Do you think I will be disappointed in the sound quality coming from what I have? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Btw, in regards to the previous post concerning Sam's Club/non-members, 10% is added to the price for non-members.
Biggest Issue I've found is that it does not support DolbyDigitalPlus (DD+). It won't even downcode it. You will hear nothing. Netflix does Surround in DD+ so this product is silent until you manually set Netflix to Stereo. Amazon also encodes DD+.

To get around this I ditched my 100 buck Roku3 and purchased Fire TV. It will downcode DD+ to DD via Optical which this old tech product will support. Another weakness is that it only has ONE HDMI input. I needed to input DitecTV, Bluray, FireTV, and Chromecast. Had to buy a stand-alone HDMI switch to handle this. A traditional system will have multiple HDMI Inputs.

I purchased it as I am not ready to start drilling holes for speaker wires in my new house. Had I known it would not support Dolby's latest I never would have bought it. I envision it going to the dump within six months.

It is an okay choice if you are unable to run wires to back channels. If you are, I'd opt for a traditional system which are cheaper anyway.
post #108 of 165 Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
LKM

Quote:
Biggest Issue I've found is that it does not support DolbyDigitalPlus (DD+). It won't even downcode it. You will hear nothing. Netflix does Surround in DD+ so this product is silent until you manually set Netflix to Stereo. Amazon also encodes DD+.

To get around this I ditched my 100 buck Roku3 and purchased Fire TV. It will downcode DD+ to DD via Optical which this old tech product will support. Another weakness is that it only has ONE HDMI input. I needed to input DitecTV, Bluray, FireTV, and Chromecast. Had to buy a stand-alone HDMI switch to handle this. A traditional system will have multiple HDMI Inputs.

I purchased it as I am not ready to start drilling holes for speaker wires in my new house. Had I known it would not support Dolby's latest I never would have bought it. I envision it going to the dump within six months.

It is an okay choice if you are unable to run wires to back channels. If you are, I'd opt for a traditional system which are cheaper anyway.
Thanks for the reply schneid!

The lack of DD+ wouldn't be a problem for me. I only have 2 devices to connect: a PS4 and a PS3. Both of them convert DD+ to 5.1 PCM, which Vizio customer service has assured me will play through the soundbar.

The soundbar having just a single HDMI would be a temporary problem. The only reason I keep the PS3 around is for the DLNA/media server functionality, which I'm sure the PS4 will receive in a firmware update eventually.

What do you think of the sound quality of the soundbar? I'm just wondering if I should expect a major difference downgrading from my Sony receiver/energy take classic setup?

Last edited by LKM; 08-01-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Formatting
post #109 of 165 Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Assuming the 54 inch is the same as the 42" in this regard, I have never had a problem with netfliks via chrome cast, coming out of my sony bravia optical to the bar. DD lights up and frankly, the best surround is had this way for me. Sounds awesome, even hbogo via chrome cast. Never had no sound or compatibility issues. Perhaps it's the bravia doing the heavy lifting of conversion.
post #110 of 165 Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post
Assuming the 54 inch is the same as the 42" in this regard, I have never had a problem with netfliks via chrome cast, coming out of my sony bravia optical to the bar. DD lights up and frankly, the best surround is had this way for me. Sounds awesome, even hbogo via chrome cast. Never had no sound or compatibility issues. Perhaps it's the bravia doing the heavy lifting of conversion.
Who said DD doesn't work? This product will not decode DD+. If you DD light comes on you are receiving DD. The Roku3 pushes 1080HD and DD+. I don't know what the Chromecast specs are but assume it is just passing whatever is being cast to it.

I think I have also read DD+ won't carry over Optical. Amazon FireTV downcodes to DD over its Optical connection. My Sammy TV downcodes all inputs to Stereo out of its Optical connection.

This soundbar will not decode DD+. You will be greeted with SILENCE. It is old tech.

Another post here discusses DD+:

Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs

From somewhere else:

https://productforums.google.com/for...st/vgvreiV17Eg

DD+ only works over HDMI. If you are using Optical, you may get DD but many get only Stereo.
post #111 of 165 Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I don't understand how this system provides 5.1 surround sound if you have to set it to Stereo? All I'll be watching will be Netflix and Amazon. This system won't give true surround sound?
post #112 of 165 Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Did not say that. This system supports DD and DTS. Netflix does 5.1 in DD+. Using a Roku3 you will get NO sound with this unless you set Roku3 to Stereo. It is such an issue that you can do it with 2 Downs while watching Netflix. Amazon Fire TV will have the same issue but it allows you to send the HDMI Video to the set and send your Audio via Optical to this box. It will be downcoded the DD+ to DD. DD+ is HDMI only and this box can't handle it, hence you hear NOTHING. DD IS true 5.1 Surround. DD+ is actually 7.1 and is SUPPOSED to be backwards compatible too DD. It obviously ain't in this instance.

When I play a BD the DTS light comes on.

Just because sound comes from all six speakers does not mean it is Surroud. You can play a one channel cassette tape and will get sound from all six. Most okay A/V receivers fool with Stereo to deliver faux Surround. I think they call it matrix. Not an expert but do know this unit cannot deal with DD+. Vizio just chose not to support DD+ on this. Interesting company. Google them. They make nothing. Just have it built, slap their name on it, and market it. Started out in the day of clone PC's making monitors under another name. Founder is a very savvy guy.
post #113 of 165 Old 08-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wonder how Sams is able to sell it at such a low price, when it's $499 everywhere else. Possibly Vizio gave them the OK since $499 for a 12" bigger soundbar is a bit too much. If the under $400 price tag is legit, I gotta buy one sooner than I thought. Can't wait.

Also, anybody have an Samsung F5300? Site says it will kick out 5.1 DD. I was hoping to just take an optical from TV to Soundbar, but do you think it may downmix coming out of the TV? I do have a switch already, so I'm ready if need be.
post #114 of 165 Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuppers5 View Post
I wonder how Sams is able to sell it at such a low price, when it's $499 everywhere else. Possibly Vizio gave them the OK since $499 for a 12" bigger soundbar is a bit too much. If the under $400 price tag is legit, I gotta buy one sooner than I thought. Can't wait.

Also, anybody have an Samsung F5300? Site says it will kick out 5.1 DD. I was hoping to just take an optical from TV to Soundbar, but do you think it may downmix coming out of the TV? I do have a switch already, so I'm ready if need be.
My Sammy UN55B6000 will only push DD to Optical from OTA HD broadcasts. Anything fed through its HDMI Inputs comes out of the Optical port as Stereo.

Feeding Netflix (DD+) to it from my Sammy BD-P-1590 actually crashes the player. Must turn off to get it back.
post #115 of 165 Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

I have a Samsung F5300, but I'm waiting for the speakers to test it. What would be the best way to test whether 5.1 goes through or not?
post #116 of 165 Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I have a Samsung F5300, but I'm waiting for the speakers to test it. What would be the best way to test whether 5.1 goes through or not?
The DD logo will momentarily light up.
post #117 of 165 Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Viral, has yours shipped yet? I ordered mine on 8/1 and says "The item has been initialized within the shipping group" Just wondering how long it took for yours to ship. Thanks!

BTW I have a Vizio E-600i-B3 that is currently hooked up to a Bose GS Series II system that supports Dolby Digital. My TV must downgrade its built in Netflix to DD 5.1 since it will display DD 5.1 on my Bose instead of PCM 2. I know it doesn't support DD+
post #118 of 165 Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Looking to get a new sound system to replace old Onkyo HTIB from 2005 (Surprisingly still works and sounds decent). I am tired of seeing 2 foot speakers and would like something smaller

Goals: Replace old system, provide smaller sleeker speaker setup that still provides a lot of sound.
Budget: Under $900
TV: Panasonic 65ST60
Sub Components: Apps on TV, Chormecast, Xbox 360 and PS3

Debating on following setups but open to other choices and ideas within price range and goals.
I already have the Vizio ordered it a few days ago and arrived today, just need to set it up. Sam's has a good return policy so I have 90 days. I have 42 inch in my bedroom and fairly happy with it
Just not sure if the Bose provides better sound and if it's worth double the price

1) VIZIO 5.1 Home Theater Soundbar w/ Wireless Speakers
Model #: S5451W-C2
Price: $386.00
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-hom...6.ip?navAction

2) Bose Acoustimass III 5.1 Home Theater System w/ Bluetooth
Model #: 346838-1120
Price: $749.00
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-hom...2.ip?navAction

3) Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Theater System Bundle with Yamaha Receiver
Item #783060
http://www.costco.com/Bose-Acoustima...l#BVRRWidgetID

I am sure the Vizio post will likely be one side but wanted to see if anyone had any experience hands on
post #119 of 165 Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Viral, has yours shipped yet? I ordered mine on 8/1 and says "The item has been initialized within the shipping group" Just wondering how long it took for yours to ship. Thanks!

BTW I have a Vizio E-600i-B3 that is currently hooked up to a Bose GS Series II system that supports Dolby Digital. My TV must downgrade its built in Netflix to DD 5.1 since it will display DD 5.1 on my Bose instead of PCM 2. I know it doesn't support DD+
FedEx said it went out for delivery today, but no one was home... they'll retry tomorrow.
post #120 of 165 Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessroute View Post
Looking to get a new sound system to replace old Onkyo HTIB from 2005 (Surprisingly still works and sounds decent). I am tired of seeing 2 foot speakers and would like something smaller

Goals: Replace old system, provide smaller sleeker speaker setup that still provides a lot of sound.
Budget: Under $900
TV: Panasonic 65ST60
Sub Components: Apps on TV, Chormecast, Xbox 360 and PS3

Debating on following setups but open to other choices and ideas within price range and goals.
I already have the Vizio ordered it a few days ago and arrived today, just need to set it up. Sam's has a good return policy so I have 90 days. I have 42 inch in my bedroom and fairly happy with it
Just not sure if the Bose provides better sound and if it's worth double the price

1) VIZIO 5.1 Home Theater Soundbar w/ Wireless Speakers
Model #: S5451W-C2
Price: $386.00
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-hom...6.ip?navAction

2) Bose Acoustimass III 5.1 Home Theater System w/ Bluetooth
Model #: 346838-1120
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-hom...2.ip?navAction

3) Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Theater System Bundle with Yamaha Receiver
Item #783060
http://www.costco.com/Bose-Acoustima...l#BVRRWidgetID

I am sure the Vizio post will likely be one side but wanted to see if anyone had any experience hands on
Just know that choice 2 will not support Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). Netflix 1080 HD pushes Audio in DD+ over HDMI and you will hear nothing. Must switch Netflix, in its settings, to Stereo. Actually crashes my Samsung BD player. My solution was to buy Amazon FireTV which allows Digital Audio to output as DD via Optical.

Also, choice 2 has only one HDMI Input so you will need an HDMI switch if you have multiple HDMI devices to play from.

I'd check the other choices for DD+ support. Only works over HDMI and must be supported. Optical only carries DD.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page