AVS Forum banner

54 Inch Vizio 5.1

18K views 165 replies 31 participants last post by  drameddie 
#1 ·
Where oh where is the 54 Inch Vizio 5.1 Soundbar that has been dangled in front of us?

See less See more
#10 ·
I think they should have addressed the volume increments thing. It is really the number one issue that is sighted by users. If they ever do, they better make the update available to us 42" users as well. Aside from minor shortfalls with vizio 5.1, which I'm sure this big brother would share, the thing is just killer and it can still make me say 'wow' out loud during movies.

#11 ·
I've had this Soundbar (S5451W-C2) in my system for a couple of days now....
Matched with an 80" Vizio display....

Finally a Soundbar that doesn't sound like a Soundbar....
and I've tried a few, quite a few.
This thing sounds like a sound system..... a good sound system!
Dialog is crystal clear, bass is strong, midrange is outstanding and highs are clean never bright.
Setup was easy, integration (Arc) works perfectly with Vizio dispay.
This is a keeper for sure...
How could it be better.... well wireless surround speakers would be great.

#14 · (Edited)
Any interference from Wifi? My BluRay (into which I'd attach the soundbar) is streaming through my router.

I ask this because the June 13 About.com piece on the Vizio describes the wireless connection as 2.4 ghz, but a call into Vizio produced an answer (from a rep) that it does not use wifi.

#18 ·
A longer soundbar creates more separation between Left Center and Right front speakers which has a real impact on the breadth of the front soundstage. This is pretty necessary with large displays, but important in any case. One reviewer of the 42 inch commented that until the surround was engaged the soundstage was a bit narrow.

Remember, most soundbars are compromises in comparison with discrete speakers, including the distance the speakers maintain from each other. A longer soundbar is less of a compromise.

The 54 inch also has more robust drivers and will produce more volume without distorting.

#19 ·
Taichi thanks for the answer that does help me out

I was also wanting any opinions of which system to go with: Vizio 54in 3.0 system or the 42in 5.1. I am looking to upgrade from the tv internal speakers and am most concerned about hearing voices on tv shows and movies. I have a 65in tv about 15 feet away in a wide open room and no wall behind the viewer.

#20 ·
Honestly, (and this is based on specs, Amazon reviews, and one expert review) I'd go with the 54 inch 5.1 soundbar.

Unlike the 3.0 you get a decent subwoofer and true surround, and unlike the 42 inch you get more robust speakers, and a bigger soundstage.

The 54 inch 5.1 appears to be Vizio's best soundbar.

#21 · (Edited)
Do you see any differences in the Specs between the 3.0 and 5.1 54in besides the addition rear speakers and subwoofer?

The 5.1 is twice the cost of the 3.0 (250 vs 500) in your opinion is the addition of the rear speakers and subwoofer worth it?

With price a consideration, which would you choose between given only the 3.0 54in and the 5.1 42in (assuming the 54in 5.1 isn't an option due to high cost)

#22 ·
I absolutely do think that the 54 inch 5.1 soundbar is better than the other two devices.

The 3.0 soundbar cannot produce truly satisfying bass without a subwoofer, as reflected in a number of Amazon reviews. Some reviewers complain of the device buzzing when producing low bass. (You should read reviews on all three of the soundbars.) Also, 5.1 is not just about hearing sounds behind you, but also creating a fuller, more immersive soundfield. 3.0 will not provide that.

The 42 inch soundbar produces less satisfying bass than the 54 inch 5.1, and will not provide the expansive front soundstage, nor produce as much robustness in sound. In my opinion, you really do need the separation between the drivers in the longer soundbar to create a more detailed soundstage, and to make you less conscious of listening to a soundbar.

The way I look at it, you're saving considerable money with a soundba over a separate audio system, so you should get the device which most fully emulates a complete audio system.

#23 ·
Thanks, you opinion is very detailed and quite helpful, you have convinced me on the 54in size.

Any idea if there is any real differences in the 54in 5.1 and 3.0 soundbars themselves.

I was thinking of starting with the 3.0 and adding a subwoofer and rear speakers at a later time. The only difference I see is that I would have to use a wired subwoofer but I could get a good wired subwoofer/satellite speaker set for alot less then the 250 difference between the 5.1 and 3.0.

#25 ·
With regard to the 54 inch 3.0 model, I don't think it's going to be so easy to add a sub and rear speakers. The 3.0 model does have an output for a subwoofer, but whether you can add the sub from the 5.1 model at a later point I really do not know. If you can't, then there is no feasible way of adding rear surrounds.

So, all in all, I would bite the bullet and get the 54 inch 5.1. I think you would be impressed with the fullness of the sound.

With regard to the 42 inch model, ArcticHaze, it really depends on how happy you are with it. It cannot have as wide or as detailed if a soundstage or as deep a bass as the 5.1 model, but if in your environment you're happy with it then that might be good enough.

I'm basing this on analysis of the specs and the reviews that are available. I'm still waiting for some local store to carry the 5.1 so that I can hear it, but based on the technology and preliminary reviews, it sounds like the soundbar to beat... and it's far less expensive than what I would think would be its competitors.

#26 · (Edited)
With regard to the 42 inch model, ArcticHaze, it really depends on how happy you are with it. It cannot have as wide or as detailed if a soundstage or as deep a bass as the 54 inch model, but if in your environment you're happy with it then that might be good enough.

I'm basing this on analysis of the specs and the reviews that are available. I'm still waiting for some local store to carry the 5.1 so that I can hear it, but based on the technology and preliminary reviews, it sounds like the soundbar to beat... and it's far less expensive than what I would think would be its competitors.
I gave in and ordered it from Amazon, much to your point I am fairly disappointed with the soundstage of the 42 inch version. I got my 42 inch model on sale at $300 with taxes 3 moths ago and the going rate for them on craigslist is $200 for mint condition. The $340 upgrade fee was reasonable enough for me to get the 54 inch model ($540 out the door - $200 for the old 42 sold).

I will post my review once it arrives on Wednesday :) Hopefully I sell my 42 inch fairly quick.

#28 ·
I think it really depends on the tv size, room size and configuration, and seating distance to the bar as well. For instance, the 42" 5.1 works well for me because we have a small den and our seating distance to the bar is approx 7-8'. I also have just a 40" bravia. The sound stage for the system as a whole is remarkable. But in a bigger room and seated much further away, the 42" bar would start to show the shortfall of front L/R spread. Even the 54" spread would start to collapse as the room and viewing distance increases. But in my situation, all things considered I don't really need or could even appropriately accommodate the longer bar. But I'm glad it's out there if I get a setup in line that it would be good for!

#29 ·
It does depend on the particular room and acoustics. In a smaller room such as yours, the specific acoustics...proximity to the side walls and degree of reflectivity...can all impact the final effect dramatically.

At the same time, an additional twelve inches of length, more robust speakers, and a larger sub will have undoubted benefits.

#30 ·
I agree, I have a 65 inch TV in a fairly open living room and I am certain that has a lot to do with the 42's perceived acoustics. Also, on most movies the audio sounds like its a lot smaller compared to the TV (which it is since its only 42 inches). This was the main reason I opted for the upgrade. We'll just have to wait and see how good it sounds.

Do you guys know if the satellite speakers are the same between the 42 and the 54 models?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.