Sony HT-CT770 Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony HT-CT770 Impressions

I have had the HT-CT770 for about a week. I also own the HT-CT350. I wanted to get the HT-CT770 for its wireless so we can hide the subwoofer and less cables and use it as our sound system for our main TV in the rec room. The HT-CT350 now will be used in our living room.

At first things didn't go smoothly with the first HT-CT770 I picked up. The subwoofer would not connect wirelessly to the sound bar. The sound bar worked fine though, but no bass. So I returned it and luckily the store had one more and did a direct swap. Hooked up the second HT-CT770 and the subwoofer connected fine to the sound bar. To be honest this is the one thing that scares me about wireless products is their short-term and long-term reliability. And there is no fail safe if it does stop working for whatever reason.

Setting up the HT-CT770 was easy. I am using all 4 HDMI connections. One from the sound bar to the ARC connection on my Sony TV. The PS3, PS4, XBOX One are connected directly into the sound bar. The XBOX 360 and cable box are connected into HDMI ports on the TV and because of ARC, it knows to output the sound to the sound bar. Love ARC! Depending on how you want to place it, you can leave it sitting on a flat surface or mount it on the wall with the included mounts. Depending how you place it, the sound bar will detect how you have it placed and adjust its output for the situation. Supposedly, the best placement is to have it mount on a wall and facing directly towards you. I adjusted it so it uses the ClearAudio+ feature for sound preset. This basically lets the sound bar decide based on the source content how to do its digital tricks. Seems to work well. I also adjusted the Voice option to Type 2, which essentially boosts dialogue in content a bit. Type 1 is default and Type 3 is for people with hearing problems. Other than that I left most of the settings on default, except I turned down the bass a little bit. The HT-CT770 is very bassy by default, which is the exact opposite of my HT-CT350, which required the bass to be boosted.

In some areas the HT-CT350 is superior, such as having a total of 400W power and actually a 3.1 design. I also do prefer on the HT-CT350 how the subwoofer is what displays the settings on screen and that it tells you what type of sound you are using. The HT-CT770 has no way to tell you if you are using say DTS-HD or TruHD, etc. But I guess the source will be your indicator really. The HT-CT770's real advantage is the wireless and being able to use the new formats like DTS-HD/TruHD, etc. And the newer Sony digital DSP trickery. It also has the ability to connect directly to your phone and stuff, but I could care less about this. Overall, I'd recommend the HT-CT770. I would say the Sony can't be beat for its features and it looks great, even more so than the other Sony sound bars out now. And it has the advantage of being their newer offering. And if you have other Sony products, like myself, its great to have a whole system that can easily communicate and identify with each other.
scrope likes this.

Last edited by jwb1; 06-26-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi jbking, Im so glad to see this bar finally talked about on AVS. Its only a couple months old, and having used the 660 before (which I returned because i didnt like the size of it), I picked up the 770 exactly 9 days ago. A big selling point for me was the fact i can lay it flat and it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb.

Ive put in about 30 hours so far on it (usually about 50 hours to break in speakers and subs). I tweaked it to hell, and it sounds really good just not great. OUt of the box, the settings arent very good. I think Voice 3 sounds the best, but if you notice it drops the bass (which i didnt like at all). So I kept it at 2 and just jacked up the treble to 6. Even then its meh. I cant quite put my finger on what it is, but something is missing. It lacks the crisp treble and mids that other cheaper soundbars that ive heard has. It sounds the same as the 660 pretty much. The soundfield on this thing is pretty narrow, weak IMO.

I paid $450CDN at Future Shop (reg $500) and im gonna give it some more time (since I have 30 days) to see if its a keeper and worth the $450. Honestly, so far i dont think it is.

I like it a lot, just dont love it. To me, it sounds like a $300 soundbar at best.

Last edited by Princeismyname; 06-27-2014 at 12:09 PM.
post #3 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post
Hi jbking, Im so glad to see this bar finally talked about on AVS. Its only a couple months old, and having used the 660 before (which I returned because i didnt like the size of it), I picked up the 770 exactly 9 days ago. A big selling point for me was the fact i can lay it flat and it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb.

Ive put in about 30 hours so far on it (usually about 50 hours to break in speakers and subs). I tweaked it to hell, and it sounds really good just not great. OUt of the box, the settings arent very good. I think Voice 3 sounds the best, but if you notice it drops the bass (which i didnt like at all). So I kept it at 2 and just jacked up the treble to 6. Even then its meh. I cant quite put my finger on what it is, but something is missing. It lacks the crisp treble and mids that other cheaper soundbars that ive heard has. It sounds the same as the 660 pretty much. The soundfield on this thing is pretty narrow, weak IMO.

I paid $450CDN at Future Shop (reg $500) and im gonna give it some more time (since I have 30 days) to see if its a keeper and worth the $450. Honestly, so far i dont think it is.

I like it a lot, just dont love it. To me, it sounds like a $300 soundbar at best.
I was actually able to get it for $399 CAD, so $50 less than you. I think if you can get it for that or lower its worth it.

It may be worth mounting it up to see if you prefer how the sound bar adjusts the sound that way. I have it mounted on a wall under my TV and I did notice it sounds better this way than laying flat.

Last edited by jwb1; 06-27-2014 at 02:46 PM.
post #4 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb1 View Post
I was actually able to get it for $399 CAD, so $50 less than you. I think if you can get it for that or lower its worth it.

It may be worth mounting it up to see if you prefer how the sound bar adjusts the sound that way. I have it mounted on a wall under my TV and I did notice it sounds better this way than laying flat.
How did you get yours for $399? Where at? I would love to get my $50 difference back if I could.

Well, the thing is in my room I cant really mount it (hence why this bar was attractive to me, because of the low profile height when flat). But also cause i read a review where it said that it sounded just as good when flat vs when standing. I tried this too very briefly and couldnt tell much of a difference in both positions, i might have to try again.

What drives me nuts about this bar is that voice 2 I find is too dull and not crisp enough, but 3 is too sharp. Theres no inbetween. I really wish Sony kept the previous menu from the 660 model which allowed you to adjust from -6 to +6, not just 3 different settings. Odd why they decided to change it. I never found the voice to be an issue on the 660.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How did you get yours for $399? Where at? I would love to get my $50 difference back if I could.

Well, the thing is in my room I cant really mount it (hence why this bar was attractive to me, because of the low profile height when flat). But also cause i read a review where it said that it sounded just as good when flat vs when standing. I tried this too very briefly and couldnt tell much of a difference in both positions, i might have to try again.

What drives me nuts about this bar is that voice 2 I find is too dull and not crisp enough, but 3 is too sharp. Theres no inbetween. I really wish Sony kept the previous menu from the 660 model which allowed you to adjust from -6 to +6, not just 3 different settings. Odd why they decided to change it. I never found the voice to be an issue on the 660.
I pricematched it from Best Buy. You could try if the sale is still on to get them to give you back the difference.

Sometimes more options confuse people who don't really understand them and I think why they focused on just having a Voice option was that Blu-Ray's especially for a lot of people seem to not have clear enough of a voice field. I don't really have a problem with Voice 2. I guess it really is subjective. I'm not sure what you have the sound bar hooked up to, but making sure you have proper settings on those devices is equally as important.
post #6 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I went to my local Best Buy today to look at soundbars to replace my old Samsung soundbar that did not have HDMI support. I was going to specifically look at HT-CT370. When I got there they had a HT-CT770 open box for $320, so I picked it up. I just got it set up and it sounds great! Very full sound and the sub sounds much more full than my old one.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. This is my first soundbar, so I have no prior experience with one, and I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile by any means, but I do think it sounds pretty good. I bought it as I wanted a little more depth then what I figured my new TV (also a Sony) would produce, and so far I'm very happy with it. Since it's in a gameroom, I only really get a chance to play around with it on the weekends, so I'm still tweaking the settings to my liking, but I'd suggest anyone in the market for a soundbar in this price range check it out if they can.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I pricematched it from Best Buy. You could try if the sale is still on to get them to give you back the difference.

Sometimes more options confuse people who don't really understand them and I think why they focused on just having a Voice option was that Blu-Ray's especially for a lot of people seem to not have clear enough of a voice field. I don't really have a problem with Voice 2. I guess it really is subjective. I'm not sure what you have the sound bar hooked up to, but making sure you have proper settings on those devices is equally as important.
Oh bestbuy.ca doesnt sell this, i dont know whay city you live in but im in calgary.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What "Sound Field" are you guys using?

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #10 of 49 Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
What "Sound Field" are you guys using?
I switch between Movie and Game, depending on what I'm doing. To be honest though, I haven't even really tried the other fields yet, so I can't really compare them to one another, but I've been happy so far.
post #11 of 49 Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 PM

If anyone's looking for more info, here's a review from PCmag.com that was just put up:

PCMag.com HT-CT770 review

I haven't come across a lot of reviews for this soundbar, so I thought this may help some people out who were considering it.
post #12 of 49 Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Georges View Post
If anyone's looking for more info, here's a review from PCmag.com that was just put up:

PCMag.com HT-CT770 review

I haven't come across a lot of reviews for this soundbar, so I thought this may help some people out who were considering it.
They summed it up nicely and just how i would put it. Mids are non existent and the music sound quality is very average. My $180 vizio destorys it for music.

But for movies and games its really good. $450 good? Debatable.
post #13 of 49 Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
They summed it up nicely and just how i would put it. Mids are non existent and the music sound quality is very average. My $180 vizio destorys it for music.

But for movies and games its really good. $450 good? Debatable.
I haven't tried it with music yet, but for movies and games (which is what I bought it for), I'm very happy with it's performance.
post #14 of 49 Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Im returning my 770 today for a refund. Very dissapointing to say the least. I was actually very close to keeping it, have really started to warm up to it over the past week. I like it an awful lot and really wanted to keep it but Sony always has to make things difficult dont they.

But the fact that sony failed to address muffled sound at low volume problem from the previous 660 model is a complete deal breaker for me. Just unaccceptable. Just like the 660 (which i had too but returned), the sound (forr anything, movies, games etc) completely falls off a cliff when at low to normal volumes. The clarity and detail is pretty much shot. Ive been going head to head witth my othher soundbars and its a disgrace that a baar 35% of the price of the 770 sounds clearer and better at Low volumes than a $450 sony. And considering i listen mostly at low to normal volumes, this is a deal breaker for me.

This problem has been discussed and brought up in many reviews on amazon and here for the 660. So if you didnt like the 660 cause of this, avoid the 770 because it clearly has not been fixed.

Just like the 660, this bar is reallyy only good sounding when at loud volumes. Thhe louder it plays, the better it sounds. For me, thats just unacceptable for a $450 soundbar.

EDIT: I did some more testing with this and particularly focused on the surround effects. I will say this, the surround effects on this are very impressive. I put in a gun battle scene from one of my blurays and WOW this is where this bar really excels. I was thoroughly impressed. It felt very close to 5.1, I could hear stuff and detail behind me that I didnt hear on my $180 vizio 3821W. I then went to the vizio, played the same scene and the surround effects wasnt even close to the level of the sony. The Sony was much more immersive. I really do like this Sony bar a lot, I just wish it wasnt $280 more than my vizio.

Last edited by Princeismyname; 07-06-2014 at 06:20 PM.
post #15 of 49 Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
In some areas the HT-CT350 is superior, such as having a total of 400W power and actually a 3.1 design. I also do prefer on the HT-CT350 how the subwoofer is what displays the settings on screen and that it tells you what type of sound you are using. The HT-CT770 has no way to tell you if you are using say DTS-HD or TruHD, etc. But I guess the source will be your indicator really.

[EDIT: I've discovered the 770 doesn't actually have a "display" button on its remote, rendering what follows moot]

Try pressing the Display button on your remote repeatedly; on the 660, this takes you through a few ranges of brightness on the bar readout, to off, then briefly shows signal format...bet it DTSMA, Dolby TrueHD, etc. Hope it works on your model, as it's necessary from a performance and troubleshooting standpoint to at least know the bar is receiving the proper format.

I also have experience with a SONY 3.1 system; their 1st, the HT-CT100, and in a few ways I also think it is superior to the 660. Primarily, I prefer a dedicated center channel to a simulated one, which tends to sound, err simulated. Which is why I use the 660 most often in one of the more straightorward, 2-channel downmix modes: PAUDIO or STEREO, where there's less faux Center (or 'Voice'), and surround. Overall, though, the 660 offers greatly increased dynamics, clarity and versatility over the 100. Hope you enjoy your 770 as much as I'm digging the 660.

Last edited by JackN; 07-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #16 of 49 Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
But the fact that sony failed to address muffled sound at low volume problem from the previous 660 model is a complete deal breaker for me. Just unaccceptable. Just like the 660 (which i had too but returned), the sound (forr anything, movies, games etc) completely falls off a cliff when at low to normal volumes. The clarity and detail is pretty much shot. Ive been going head to head witth my othher soundbars and its a disgrace that a baar 35% of the price of the 770 sounds clearer and better at Low volumes than a $450 sony. And considering i listen mostly at low to normal volumes, this is a deal breaker for me.

Did you try experimenting with the Dynamic Range Compression feature (for Dolby sources, if you have a choice in formats)? On the 660, it brings the high and low end closer to the mid-range, so more of the middle frequencies come through at lower volumes. There's also a "Night" mode which does something similar, but tends to take a bigger bite out of the low-end for my taste. Haven't tested Night Mode with DTS, but it doesn't say for Dolby only...as is the case with DRC. Again, this pertains to the 660, but should carry over to the 770...

Last edited by JackN; 07-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.
post #17 of 49 Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Try pressing the Display button on your remote repeatedly; on the 660, this takes you through a few ranges of brightness on the bar readout, to off, then briefly shows signal format...bet it DTSMA, Dolby TrueHD, etc. Hope it works on your model, as it's necessary from a performance and troubleshooting standpoint to at least know the bar is receiving the proper format.

I also have experience with a SONY 3.1 system; their 1st, the HT-CT100, and in a few ways I also think it is superior to the 660. Primarily, I prefer a dedicated center channel to a simulated one, which tends to sound, err simulated. Which is why I use the 660 most often in one of the more straightorward, 2-channel downmix modes: PAUDIO or STEREO, where there's less faux Center (or 'Voice'), and surround. Overall, though, the 660 offers greatly increased dynamics, clarity and versatility over the 100. Hope you enjoy your 770 as much as I'm digging the 660.
I dont think pushing the display button on the 770 does anything but ill try again.

Quote:
Did you try experimenting with the Dynamic Range Compression feature (for Dolby sources, if you have a choice in formats)? On the 660, it brings the high and low end closer to the mid-range, so more of the middle frequencies come through at lower volumes. There's also a "Night" mode which does something similar, but tends to take a bigger bite out of the low-end for my taste. Haven't tested Night Mode with DTS, but it doesn't say for Dolby only...as is the case with DRC. Again, this pertains to the 660, but should carry over to the 770...
Yes I first had DRC on, then i turned it off. From what i read about it, all it does is balance the loud scenes so that they arent abnoxiously louder than the voice? I could be wrong. I went back between the two and notice no difference. So to mid range bit more audible at lower volumes, should it be on or off?

To be honest, I actually still have the 770, cause Ive done some pretty extensive testing with it and aside from the muddy clarity at low volumes (which unfortuntely is a big deal to me...I could live with it but i would not be happy), Im very impressed by the sound quality of this thing, particularly how big of a sound field it creates at loud volumes. I was about to return it last Sunday but it wasnt until i put in a War movie and listened to the battle scene, wow this thing came to life. It created such a nice big sound field that i could distinctively hear sounds and effects in the rears and sides that I dont hear at all on my Vizio. Very very good seperation. I would say it felt very close to real 5.1, it was that good.

The immersion and the surround effects on the 770 is mighty impressive for a soundbar. It blows away my Vizio for this, not even comparable. This is for everything, movies, games, etc, Ive tested it all and the 770 came out on top in everything except when at low volume. I was able to hear sounds on the 770 that I didnt on the Vizio. The sub also extends lower than the vizio. Not a night and day difference but in some movie scenes its clearly noticable. I guess this is what makes the 770 more than double the price of my $180 vizio. This is why i havent returned it yet, because since then ive really started to fall in love with the 770. Aside from music, it really is an impressive soundbar.

Im going to watch a movie on it this weekend and make my final decision but right now im actually leaning towards keeping it. Aside from a couple issues, I really like the 770. Whether or not the 770 justifies the $450 price tag i paid is another story. Id say its forsure worth $300, if I paid $300 then this wouldnt even be a discussion anymore. Maybe $350 simply because of the HDMI switching and the fact its a 2 month old model. $450 does seem about $100 overpriced though. But if i really want to own it, i have no choice but to pay it. I could wait til Xmas and im sure itll drop $100, but for the hassle of having to pack it back up and lug it back to the store, then do it all over again in 6 months...hmm id rather save the hassle.

Last edited by Princeismyname; 07-11-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #18 of 49 Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I dont think pushing the display button on the 770 does anything but ill try again.

I think I've created some confusion here: In looking at the specific remote that comes with the 770--which I first thought was identical to the 660's--I see they have re-purposed the "Display" button to "Night" on the 770, which I suppose engages the 770's 'Night Mode' feature. Odd, and a bit of a bummer, especially if it means there's no longer any way to confirm the signal format on the 770. There's probably nothing in the manual concerning this (there wasn't in the 660's), but maybe you'll discover something by accident that displays format info.

Quote:
Yes I first had DRC on, then i turned it off. From what i read about it, all it does is balance the loud scenes so that they arent abnoxiously louder than the voice? I could be wrong. I went back between the two and notice no difference. So to mid range bit more audible at lower volumes, should it be on or off?

On, in theory, to help with mid-range at lower volumes:

You should be able to raise the overall volume a bit without being blown out of the room by the extremes...and more of the mid-range may be audible. Even if your volume setting is a bit higher, it may not be quite as high at its maximum with DRC because the dynamic range is compressed. In the end, it may not be of much help.

As for DTS sources, DRC isn't supported: I guess the only option there would be cycling through sound modes, trying night mode, adjusting 'Voice,' Bass and Treble to see if you can hear a difference in frequency range that's to your liking at lower volumes.

Quote:
To be honest, I actually still have the 770, cause Ive done some pretty extensive testing with it and aside from the muddy clarity at low volumes (which unfortuntely is a big deal to me...I could live with it but i would not be happy), Im very impressed by the sound quality of this thing, particularly how big of a sound field it creates at loud volumes.

In some modes on the 660, I was surprised at how much I tweaked things--particularly backing off on the Bass and SubWoofer settings, along with sharpening a tad with treble and voice--to increase clarity at lower volumes.

Good luck with it: In the end, you may not be able to get the 770 to perform the way you want under your chosen conditions, but there's no shortage of adjustments to really put it through its paces before you make your decision on whether to keep it.

Quote:
Aside from music, it really is an impressive soundbar.
I've had good luck with music in PAUDIO on the 660; 'Voice' doesn't seem to play much of a role (if any), so I just bring whatever I need in the way of bass and treble to bear, and I can usually get most things to sound decent.

I also have an earlier SONY sound bar, which was easier to use, but more basic in its performance. Generally, very good sound without much effort. The newer generation--(660, 770, 370)--has better frequency response and more user adjustment options. The downside is that I end up playing with the 660 a bit to get it optimized for just about everything. The longer I've had it, the better sense I have of what I need to tweak to get something "just right," but it's usually worth the effort. There may be bars out there configured not to need as much finessing, but I wouldn't know what to recommend.

Quote:
Im going to watch a movie on it this weekend and make my final decision but right now im actually leaning towards keeping it. Aside from a couple issues, I really like the 770. Whether or not the 770 justifies the $450 price tag i paid is another story. Id say its forsure worth $300, if I paid $300 then this wouldnt even be a discussion anymore. Maybe $350 simply because of the HDMI switching and the fact its a 2 month old model. $450 does seem about $100 overpriced though. But if i really want to own it, i have no choice but to pay it. I could wait til Xmas and im sure itll drop $100, but for the hassle of having to pack it back up and lug it back to the store, then do it all over again in 6 months...hmm id rather save the hassle.

Whether you decide to keep the SONY or not, hope you eventually find Sound Bar Satisfaction.

Last edited by JackN; 07-11-2014 at 08:24 PM.
post #19 of 49 Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I've created some confusion here: In looking at the specific remote that comes with the 770--which I first thought was identical to the 660's--I see they have re-purposed the "Display" button to "Night" on the 770, which I suppose engages the 770's 'Night Mode' feature. Odd, and a bit of a bummer, especially if it means there's no longer any way to confirm the signal format on the 770. There's probably nothing in the manual concerning this (there wasn't in the 660's), but maybe you'll discover something by accident that displays format info.
Ya the night mode isnt something im interested in at all. Wont even bother trying.

Quote:
On, in theory, to help with mid-range at lower volumes:

You should be able to raise the overall volume a bit without being blown out of the room by the extremes...and more of the mid-range may be audible. Even if your volume setting is a bit higher, it may not be quite as high at its maximum with DRC because the dynamic range is compressed. In the end, it may not be of much help.
Its not terrible at low volumes but when compared to my $180 vizio, its a night and day difference. I just cant believe Sony failed to address this problem from the 660.

Quote:
As for DTS sources, DRC isn't supported: I guess the only option there would be cycling through sound modes, trying night mode, adjusting 'Voice,' Bass and Treble to see if you can here a difference in frequency range that's to your liking at lower volumes.
Ive pretty much gone through all the settings extensively since i got it 3 weeks ago. My biggest dissapointment is that theres only 3 settings for the voice, in which Id much prefer the -6 to +6 scale from the 660. Dont know what Sony changed it. It would really help the low volume problem.

I have 4 days to decide to keep it or not, but ill make my decision this weekend after i do some more movie testing tomorrow. I still think its a $350 soundbar tops, me overpaying $100.

How much did you pay for your 660?
post #20 of 49 Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Ya the night mode isnt something im interested in at all. Wont even bother trying.

Its not terrible at low volumes but when compared to my $180 vizio, its a night and day difference. I just cant believe Sony failed to address this problem from the 660.

You'd think they'd introduce a "Loudness" control, which would allow users to set a maximum volume and, as they backed off from there with 'Loudness' the low, mid and high frequencies would be kept in proportion. That's the way it works on an old analog amplifier I have, at least. Maybe it would be difficult to engineer that digitally.

Quote:
Ive pretty much gone through all the settings extensively since i got it 3 weeks ago. My biggest dissapointment is that theres only 3 settings for the voice, in which Id much prefer the -6 to +6 scale from the 660. Dont know what Sony changed it. It would really help the low volume problem.
Hard to say. Maybe they were trying to simplify the adjustments, get people in the ballpark of the desired sound without requiring so much fine tuning. The 660 has taken some flak for requiring a lot of tweaking... Or could be they were trying a bit of the old "pre-set" philosophy from their earliest bars; the HT-CT100 doesn't even have a bass or treble control; just the built-in sound modes and the ability to raise and lower the dedicated center channel and the subwoofer by + or - 6 points. On rare occasions, I do lament the lack of bass and treble (on the 100), but it's actually nice to be liberated from all the finessing!

Quote:
I have 4 days to decide to keep it or not, but ill make my decision this weekend after i do some more movie testing tomorrow. I still think its a $350 soundbar tops, me overpaying $100.

How much did you pay for your 660?

I benefited from a 20 percent credit card discount, so I ended up getting a great deal for around 320.00 at the time (shortly after the 660 was available). With the 370/770 out now, I would bet they're available for less than the usual 399.99 somewhere out there.

Do you recall any significant difference in the sound of the 660 and 770's sound bar units apart from the sub-woofers? I was trying to determine whether the tweeters and drivers on the 770 were about the same size as the 660's (they may be ever so slightly smaller, but I can't find the spec sheet I was looking at).

I guess having had a 660, you're aware of its limitations. If one of these units has the edge over the other, it's probably not by much. And if the 3-point 'Voice' control of the 770 goes anywhere near max at the highest setting, it's probably comparable to what the 660 could do at a + 6. That could be telling in terms of how much extra clarity you could actually expect from the 660. In other words, you could be getting the gist of what the 660 can do with the 770's 3-point control. But I'm just theorizing; you have the benefit of experience with both SONYs to guide you.

Hope I haven't just muddied the waters here. Good luck in your testing; hope you're happy with whatever you decide.

Last edited by JackN; 07-11-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarity
post #21 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well Im in Canada, the $450 I paid is in CDN so its about $425USD. I got it on sale, as its reg $500CDN here.

From seeing Sonys history of price drops on these things, they usually drop $100 around October and then another $100 less during boxing week right at the end of the year. I know the 660 was $500 when it came out in May, then was constantly on sale for $400 in Oct-Nov and thats when I picked it up. Then in the final week of the year it was $299. Smokin hot deal but unfortunately I was not happy with the 660 primarily becuause of the odd look and huge size. You see i cant mount my bar to the wall so i have to have it sit in front of the TV, so this limits how many bars i can choose from without the bar cutting into the TV screen. The 660 was just too big, I thought i could live with it cutting into my screen but no it drove me nuts and 2 weeks later I returned it.

I actually also had the low volume problem as well on the Sony. I spent probably just as much time as you tweaking it and i just wasnt happy with the performance overall. Especially in music it sounded so average.

Comparing the 660 to the 770, going by memory (because its been almost a year since i had the 660), I dont think the 770 sounds any better than the 660, it definitely sounds the exact same for music.

Thats a huge reason why i was attracted to the 770 simply because of its low profile design and the fact you can have it flat and the sensor inside the bar auto detects that and adjusts accordingly. Thats why i have it now, i have it laying flat and Ive gone between having it flat and upright and i cant tell any difference at all in the sound. The Sony is able to perform just as well when laying flat as standing and thats whats impressive. There is no other bar that sits this low.

$300 this would be an easy sell for me, $350 perhaps yes as well, but $450 im trying to justify the extra 100-150 and what i get for it in terms of value.
post #22 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

I got some great news, played with the AAV setting and i noticed that at low volumes the mids and voices come out noticably louder and clearer. This is pretty much a life saver for me.

That, and on top of me getting $50 back on the 770 (the store i bought from has it at $399 right now), closed the deal. This is a keeper for me.
post #23 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I got some great news, played with the AAV setting and i noticed that at low volumes the mids and voices come out noticably louder and clearer. This is pretty much a life saver for me.

That, and on top of me getting $50 back on the 770 (the store i bought from has it at $399 right now), closed the deal. This is a keeper for me.
Cool, glad to hear it.

That's Advanced Auto Volume? Interesting. Actually hadn't experimented with that yet, myself. Glad it's of help. I'll play around with it on some different kinds of audio, see if I might benefit. Sounds like it's doing a kind of dynamic range adjustment of its own. It'd be cool to see a graph of how these different features are actually affecting the audio.

You're right, the 660 is a bear of a bar. Really beefy in size. I lucked out; with the orientation of my set from any seating position, I can just see over the top of it. It doesn't intrude into the image area at all. It's so big I have to wonder whether it might result in a bit more oomph over the 770 (if it actually has slightly bigger drivers). I'd love to compare these units side by side.

One thing I envy about the 770 is that I think it allows you to turn off the virtual surround effect for each mode, allowing the different sound fields to be heard in a standard, 2 channel down-mix version. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for virtual surround, sometimes I'm not. And I'd like not to be limited to PAUDIO and STEREO, etc., for 2-channel modes.
post #24 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool, glad to hear it.

That's Advanced Auto Volume? Interesting. Actually hadn't experimented with that yet, myself. Glad it's of help. I'll play around with it on some different kinds of audio, see if I might benefit. Sounds like it's doing a kind of dynamic range adjustment of its own. It'd be cool to see a graph of how these different features are actually affecting the audio.

You're right, the 660 is a bear of a bar. Really beefy in size. I lucked out; with the orientation of my set from any seating position, I can just see over the top of it. It doesn't intrude into the image area at all. It's so big I have to wonder whether it might result in a bit more oomph over the 770 (if it actually has slightly bigger drivers). I'd love to compare these units side by side.

One thing I envy about the 770 is that I think it allows you to turn off the virtual surround effect for each mode, allowing the different sound fields to be heard in a standard, 2 channel down-mix version. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for virtual surround, sometimes I'm not. And I'd like not to be limited to PAUDIO and STEREO, etc., for 2-channel modes.
Ya i was shocked when i heard the mids highs and voice noticably boosted with the AAV on. Even with the volume at 14-15, I noticed it still got a boost. It was quite noticable. It just sounded better, i was very surprised but happy as well.

A huge selling point for me on the 770 was the style of it. If it wasnt for the fact that you can set it in two positions, i wouldnt have bought it. With it flat, it sounds exactly the same as if it was standing and it looks great. Can still see the Sony logo on my TV. My only concern is that with the speaker facing upwards, dust will get on the speaker grill a lot easier. I will have to find a way to clean it so that dust doesnt cling to it and get inside.

I keep mine in movie mode for everything. I will mostly use it for TV watching, blurays and games. Not much for music. I dont think this bar (660 either) excels for music playback. Its not terrible, but its not great.

Like i said, I think the 770 is easily worth $350 CDN simply cause it just came out and it has HDMI switching, lossless audio and the styling. $400 is the most i would pay for it. It was pushing it but i can swallow it, as $450 was really pushing it. I really dig the styling of it, so its worth the extra $50 id say. For reg price $500CDN, as much as I like it, i wouldnt pay it. Much happier that i got $50 back. I really didnt want to bring it back as it would have been hard but i was having a tough time justifying $450.

Even if goes for $300CDN in the final week of 2014 (good chance it will), thats 5 months away and paying $100 to enjoy it 5 months sooner is worth it to me. Boy does this thing ever sound awesome. I just cant believe how wide of a sound field it can put out. It was hard to go back to the Vizio after because it wasnt nearly as immersive and not even on the same level as the sony.

Last edited by Princeismyname; 07-12-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #25 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just setup my 770 yesterday. Still tweaking but pretty impressed. One thing I'm confused about is that I have to manually switch inputs to get a picture or to watch a bluray. My old soundbar was a Sony HT-CT100 and it switched automatically. Am I missing something? Also do you guys have AAV turned on?
post #26 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Ya i was shocked when i heard the mids highs and voice noticably boosted with the AAV on. Even with the volume at 14-15, I noticed it still got a boost. It was quite noticable. It just sounded better, i was very surprised but happy as well.

Just tried the feature, and I'd say it's more effective as a dynamic range compressor than as a volume leveler, its stated purpose. I can definitely hear how it takes a low volume field and brings the valleys up to join the peaks, and more obviously than with DRC. I can see how this could be very useful for general use where true dynamics aren't as important as good, full sound. I'll keep playing with it; I want to know how much it hurts the low end, etc. It's certainly nothing like the heinously thin sounding "Night Mode"! I appreciate the tip; AAV's definitely going off when I want to crank the 660 and blow the roof off...but for casual listening, AAV has its place. It's cool that it does what it does, which isn't really how SONY describes it; even if DRC worked well, the "Dolby Only" factor is really limiting.

I've probably contaminated this thread enough with discussion of other bars, but I noticed the high end SONY ST-7 has another low volume feauture: S. OPT (sound optimizer for low volume use). You get what you pay for. That thing's 1,200 dollars!

Last edited by JackN; 07-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #27 of 49 Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntdouglas View Post
I just setup my 770 yesterday. Still tweaking but pretty impressed. One thing I'm confused about is that I have to manually switch inputs to get a picture or to watch a bluray. My old soundbar was a Sony HT-CT100 and it switched automatically. Am I missing something? Also do you guys have AAV turned on?

I also have a CT100, but I've only used it with Coax and Optical Digital connections (both manually switched).

My 660 auto switches to my Blu-ray player via HDMI when I turn it on with the sound bar's CTRL--Control For HDMI--feature turned on. You may want to check that (under HDMI settings).

If I use AAV, it will be for lower volume use...where it seems to keep the mid-range from dropping out (as 'princeismyname' discovered; his post above).

Last edited by JackN; 07-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.
post #28 of 49 Old 07-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just tried the feature, and I'd say it's more effective as a dynamic range compressor than as a volume leveler, its stated purpose. I can definitely hear how it takes a low volume field and brings the valleys up to join the peaks, and more obviously than with DRC. I can see how this could be very useful for general use where true dynamics aren't as important as good, full sound. I'll keep playing with it; I want to know how much it hurts the low end, etc. It's certainly nothing like the heinously thin sounding "Night Mode"! I appreciate the tip; AAV's definitely going off when I want to crank the 660 and blow the roof off...but for casual listening, AAV has its place. It's cool that it does what it does, which isn't really how SONY describes it; even if DRC worked well, the "Dolby Only" factor is really limiting.

I've probably contaminated this thread enough with discussion of other bars, but I noticed the high end SONY ST-7 has another low volume feauture: S. OPT (sound optimizer for low volume use). You get what you pay for. That thing's 1,200 dollars!
I tried it in loud scenes at loud volume and it doesnt affect the bass at all. Because of this ill be leaving it on all the time.

Do you have your DRC on or off? I cant tell any difference with it on or off. Sounds the same and a useless feature.
post #29 of 49 Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntdouglas View Post
Hey can you do me a huge favour. Can you look on your box and tell me what the item number is on yours? I want to know if its the same item number on every 770 bar.
post #30 of 49 Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I tried it in loud scenes at loud volume and it doesnt affect the bass at all. Because of this ill be leaving it on all the time.

Do you have your DRC on or off? I cant tell any difference with it on or off. Sounds the same and a useless feature.

I have DRC off. I took for granted that it would work; it definitely had a noticeable effect with the old, HT-CT100, which had three levels of DRC; you could step that up to max and hear how it narrowed the dynamics. On the 660...minimal, if any effect. I keep having to remind myself it's for Dolby sources. Half the time I've had it on, I realize I've got DTS in play. I'll see what happens with some high volume testing.
Reply Soundbars
Gear in this thread - HT-CT770 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page