Is it possible to have DirecTV remote control sound bar volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to have DirecTV remote control sound bar volume

I have a DirecTV HR34 receiver connected to a Sharp 60" TV via HDMI. The Vizio sound bar is currently connected to the TV's optical audio out. Is there any way to have the DirecTV remote control the sound bar volume? I'd like to be able to only use the DirecTV remote and not have to use the sound bar remote to control volume.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
I have a DirecTV HR34 receiver connected to a Sharp 60" TV via HDMI. The Vizio sound bar is currently connected to the TV's optical audio out. Is there any way to have the DirecTV remote control the sound bar volume? I'd like to be able to only use the DirecTV remote and not have to use the sound bar remote to control volume.

Thanks
Optical audio out level is fixed . OTOH if you used an analog 2.0 stereo output from TV to sound bar when using Direct TV and your TV has an variable analog audio output option (usually enabled in sound settings menu ) that would work I have a bedroom TV set up like that on Dish. .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Optical audio out level is fixed . OTOH if you used an analog 2.0 stereo output from TV to sound bar when using Direct TV and your TV has an variable analog audio output option (usually enabled in sound settings menu ) that would work I have a bedroom TV set up like that on Dish. .
Thanks... so if I connect it the way you suggest, the DirecTV remote is only configured to control the DirecTV receiver and the TV. When adjusting the volume with the DirecTV remote, it will adjust the sound bar volume? That would be great!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
Thanks... so if I connect it the way you suggest, the DirecTV remote is only configured to control the DirecTV receiver and the TV. When adjusting the volume with the DirecTV remote, it will adjust the sound bar volume? That would be great!
Yes that is correct (if your TV has that feature ) my Dish remote adjusts the variable audio out signal on the TV .

My TV (Sony ) you can run fixed analog audio out or variable analog audio out with the TV speakers on or off and also set the volume offset between the variable audio out and the TV speakers (if you still have then enabled ) and at the same time still have tour 5.1/7.1 optical PCM data output available .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 07-18-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes that is correct (if your TV has that feature ) my Dish remote adjusts the variable audio out signal on the TV .

My TV (Sony ) you can run fixed analog audio out or variable analog audio out with the TV speakers on or off and also set the volume offset between the variable audio out and the TV speakers (if you still have then enabled ) and at the same time still have tour 5.1/7.1 optical PCM data output available .
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To borrow the answer from another forum:

Step 1 is to find the soundbar code for your device and program in AV1 or AV2 to control it. Then,

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Rem...RC65forWeb.pdf

Page 11 & 12.

The remote ships with the volume locked to the TV, so that the volume control controls the TV regardless of the position of the slider.

The first section on Page 11 tells you how to UNLOCK the volume control, so that you have to move the slider to TV to control the TV volume.

The next section, top of Page 12, tells you how to LOCK the volume on one of the other selections.

Keep in mind, once you do this you will ONLY control your soundbar volume and no longer control the TV's volume from the DTV remote.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Optical audio out level is fixed . OTOH if you used an analog 2.0 stereo output from TV to sound bar when using Direct TV and your TV has an variable analog audio output option (usually enabled in sound settings menu) that would work. I have a bedroom TV set up like that on Dish.
That is the best way to do it - but most TVs don't have analog audio out these days and even fewer have the menu option to select Variable Audio Out - but if you have it you should use it.

You didn't mention which soundbar you have, but my Dad's Visio soundbar will imitate the TV volume remote codes - there is a way to program it to see the volume up and volume down from your remote and adjust its volume - check your soundbar manual. That would be another way to get remote control volume.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarzMN View Post
To borrow the answer from another forum:

Step 1 is to find the soundbar code for your device and program in AV1 or AV2 to control it. Then,

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Rem...RC65forWeb.pdf

Page 11 & 12.

The remote ships with the volume locked to the TV, so that the volume control controls the TV regardless of the position of the slider.

The first section on Page 11 tells you how to UNLOCK the volume control, so that you have to move the slider to TV to control the TV volume.

The next section, top of Page 12, tells you how to LOCK the volume on one of the other selections.

Keep in mind, once you do this you will ONLY control your soundbar volume and no longer control the TV's volume from the DTV remote.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try this in the morning!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Worked like a champ except the sound bar will turn itself off after a period of inactivity which is not controllable with a setting. If i can find a DTV remote code that will not only allow the remote to control the volume but also turn the sound bar on/off I'll be set!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was in your same boat. I finally broke down and spent $120 on the harmony smart remote control and never looked back. All other remotes are now dust collectors.

It operates my Samsung TV, DirecTV, and soundbar all without any issues. The app for the phone also changes the volume on the soundbar by simply swiping up or down on the screen.