Can't connect LG sound bar to SHARP TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't connect LG sound bar to SHARP TV

Hi, sorry for the long post, but I want to be as clear as possible. I want to connect my new LG sound bar (NB4540) to my 70" Sharp (LC70LE857U). Both are ARC and CEC enabled, so I tried to connect them using HDMI between them to get the sound of the TV directly on my bar.

I have activated everything that the manual says that I need to activate on the TV in order for this ARC connection to work. The bar does not require any setup since it indicates that it will switch to ARC input as soon as it detects it. However I can't make them work with this method. The sound still comes from the TV speakers (I used the Netflix app from the TV for testing purposes), and the Sound bar just stays there doing nothing. A curious thing is that when I turn off the TV using its remote control, the sound bar also turns off... but that is all that it does.

I tested an optical cable that comes with the bar, and it works, it sends the sound from the TV to the bar, but that doesn't solve the problem with the ARC connection, and as far as I know, this connection has lower sound quality than using HDMI, so I don't want to use it.

I have an LG 42" TV, which is 2 years older than the Sharp TV, also ARC and CEC enabled. I wanted to test the bar and the cables on this TV to see it the problem was there, so I connected the bar using the same method (HDMI cable between ARC ports, running Netflix app) and it worked! I went to the TV menu, activated the ARC feature, and the TV and the bar did the rest. The soundbar automatically changed to ARC input, and the TV remote now controlled the soundbar. It was a relief. Sort of...

Any ideas of how to setup the ARC connection with the SHARP?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlyposho View Post
Hi, sorry for the long post, but I want to be as clear as possible. I want to connect my new LG sound bar (NB4540) to my 70" Sharp (LC70LE857U). Both are ARC and CEC enabled, so I tried to connect them using HDMI between them to get the sound of the TV directly on my bar.

I have activated everything that the manual says that I need to activate on the TV in order for this ARC connection to work. The bar does not require any setup since it indicates that it will switch to ARC input as soon as it detects it. However I can't make them work with this method. The sound still comes from the TV speakers (I used the Netflix app from the TV for testing purposes), and the Sound bar just stays there doing nothing. A curious thing is that when I turn off the TV using its remote control, the sound bar also turns off... but that is all that it does.

I tested an optical cable that comes with the bar, and it works, it sends the sound from the TV to the bar, but that doesn't solve the problem with the ARC connection, and as far as I know, this connection has lower sound quality than using HDMI, so I don't want to use it.

I have an LG 42" TV, which is 2 years older than the Sharp TV, also ARC and CEC enabled. I wanted to test the bar and the cables on this TV to see it the problem was there, so I connected the bar using the same method (HDMI cable between ARC ports, running Netflix app) and it worked! I went to the TV menu, activated the ARC feature, and the TV and the bar did the rest. The soundbar automatically changed to ARC input, and the TV remote now controlled the soundbar. It was a relief. Sort of...

Regards
Have you tried it with the Sharp TV speakers turned off. Also make sure you are using HDMI 1 on the Sharp.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
...as far as I know, this connection has lower sound quality than using HDMI, so I don't want to use it....
Not true in a soundbar to Tv setup. The best that your Tv can send out via either type of connection is 5.1 dolby digital. If you are connecting something that sends HD audio like DTS Master HD or Dolby True HD, to an AVR then yes HDMI is needed. Your Tv and your soundbar cannot do HD audio so optical is same as hdmi for you.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Have you tried it with the Sharp TV speakers turned off. Also make sure you are using HDMI 1 on the Sharp.
Yes, I turned them off. Yes I used HDMI1 as I said.

In the end, I decided to connect my PS3 directly to the bar, and then the bar to the Tv. I've heard that this way is better than using the ARC connection, since the PS3 sends directly the sound to the bar, instead of passing through the Tv. Is this correct?

Also, i connected the TV to the bar using the optical connection, to listen the cable, Netflix, and Youtube on it.

Both of them (the PS3 and the TV) are configured to Bitstream output. I feel ok with this config. The bar reads Dolby Digital from the Tv, and DTS 2.1 from the PS3. I guess the bar I'm using can't read HD audio formats.

What do you think? Especially about the bitstream part.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Hi charlyposho, on the Sharp set Aquos Link Control and Audio Return Channel to "On" (may have to power off and back on the TV and Sound bar after the settings).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page