1Likes
  • 1 Post By HDMI Guy

post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No Sound through Soundbar when streaming

first off, I think this question should go in this subforum. If it should go elsewhere, please let me know that. Secondly, it has to do with my PolkAudio Soundbar 3000, but it is probably a generic question.

After giving up trying to stream through my Blu-ray player I have just set up the streaming on my Samsung TV. The soundbar is plugged into the Digital Audio Out (optical) out of the TV. When watching OTA or Dish I get sound through my soundbar, no problem. Problem is that when trying to stream NetFlix and Hulu Plus no sound will come through my Soundbar. If I just go to the sound on my TV I can get sound. The weird thing is that if I stream Vevo videos, I do get sound. I have no doubt that it is a simple switch on my TV but it has me stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
first off, I think this question should go in this subforum. If it should go elsewhere, please let me know that. Secondly, it has to do with my PolkAudio Soundbar 3000, but it is probably a generic question.

After giving up trying to stream through my Blu-ray player I have just set up the streaming on my Samsung TV. The soundbar is plugged into the Digital Audio Out (optical) out of the TV. When watching OTA or Dish I get sound through my soundbar, no problem. Problem is that when trying to stream NetFlix and Hulu Plus no sound will come through my Soundbar. If I just go to the sound on my TV I can get sound. The weird thing is that if I stream Vevo videos, I do get sound. I have no doubt that it is a simple switch on my TV but it has me stumped.
I would go into the menu on the TV and try changing the sound settings for SPDIF.
matonanjin likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

HDMI Guy, thanks for the response. I figured it was something like that. I went in and played with the SPDIF settings. There were only two choices but no luck. The TV is a Samsung 6600 LED TV, btw.

What I should have said in my original post is if I stream Netflix or Hulu using my Blu-ray player through my TV, no sound issues. It works fine! If I stream using the app on my Samsung TV I don't get sound on Netflix or Hulu Weird!

Your response should be, then why not use the blu-ray player? The reason for that is I am going to be Blu-ray player impaired for a while. It looks like my Samsung player was zapped with lightening and I am trying to decide on a new player.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried reinstalling Netlix or Hulu?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Have you tried reinstalling Netlix or Hulu?
I didn't know that one could reinstall either of these nor would I know how.

But I spoke with tech support at PolkAudio and he said that this was a known issue with Netflix and Samsung TV's. I spoke with Netflix for quite a while and finally the gal said came back and said that "We know that this is an issue with our app on Samsung TV's" and then, predictably, got "We are working on this."

I don't know about Hulu but I'm sure it's the same issue. So I am just resolved to run those two apps on my Blu-ray player because the soundbar will work if I stream it that way. I was just trying to keep it simple and everything on the TV for my wife.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
I didn't know that one could reinstall either of these nor would I know how.

But I spoke with tech support at PolkAudio and he said that this was a known issue with Netflix and Samsung TV's. I spoke with Netflix for quite a while and finally the gal said came back and said that "We know that this is an issue with our app on Samsung TV's" and then, predictably, got "We are working on this."

I don't know about Hulu but I'm sure it's the same issue. So I am just resolved to run those two apps on my Blu-ray player because the soundbar will work if I stream it that way. I was just trying to keep it simple and everything on the TV for my wife.

Thanks again.
To re-install Netflix is very easy. Just go into smart hub. Put the cursor on Netflix and select Tools on the remote. Then select re-install. Given your conversation with Netflix it will probably do nothing but may be worth a try.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page