Sony HT-CT770 with no ARC HDMI? (Older 2008 HDTV) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony HT-CT770 with no ARC HDMI? (Older 2008 HDTV)

Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the Sony HT-CT770 soundbar for my Toshiba REGZA RV530u TV, which has 4 HDMI ports, a digital optical out, but I don't think any of the HDMI ports are ARC ports which most of the reviews have said you connect this soundbar to your television with.

Is this soundbar compatible with a non-ARC HDMI port HDTV? Can you do digital optical out plus HDMI out from the soundbar to the TV instead of just HDMI ARC?

Not well versed in this particular arena so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkesher View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the Sony HT-CT770 soundbar for my Toshiba REGZA RV530u TV, which has 4 HDMI ports, a digital optical out, but I don't think any of the HDMI ports are ARC ports which most of the reviews have said you connect this soundbar to your television with.

Is this soundbar compatible with a non-ARC HDMI port HDTV? Can you do digital optical out plus HDMI out from the soundbar to the TV instead of just HDMI ARC?

Not well versed in this particular arena so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you have enough HDMI inputs on the soundbar, connect everything to the soundbar and then run HDMI out from the soundbar to the HDMI In on the TV. You only need ARC (audio return channel) if you need to send sound from the TV to the soundbar. You only need ARC for apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc... on a smart TV or if you are receiving over the air TV. In your case if you are using over the air TV just run the optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your response.

I got the sound bar yesterday, but when I ran my 3 HDMI devices into the sound bar's inputs and ran one HDMI cable from the sound bars HDMI out to my TV's HDMI input 1 no picture nor sound was sent to the TV.

I also tried running the optical cable from the TV optical out to the sound bar's optical in with the HDMI devices hooked back up to the TV but still no sound.

Should I try setting it to PCM audio? I might return the sound bar. I don't get why a straight up optical connection would send audio to the sound bar.

I appreciate the feedback.

Like I said this is a 2008 Toshiba REGZA so it's a little older.

Edit: Tried switching from dolby digital to pcm output and still zero sound. Very frustrating.

Last edited by adamkesher; 08-20-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Tried PCM audio.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It almost appears the soundbar is broken. You should get sound from any device connected to it with HDMI even if you did not have a TV. Make sure you are selecting the correct input on the soundbar.
Reply Soundbars
Gear in this thread - HT-CT770 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page