Vizio M602i-B3 paired with S5430w-C2: best way to connect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Vizio M602i-B3 paired with S5430w-C2: best way to connect

So I just purchased the new Vizio 60" M series TV and love it! Only had it about a week. Finally decided on speakers (had to downgrade from 7.2 system to soundbar + sub b/c we are in small apartment now and got the Vizio S5430w-C2 3.0 soundbar and the Pinnacle SubSonix 10-200 10-Inch 200 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer (Black).

TV will be used primarily for Netflix watching (through smart tv functions) and gaming PC. I ALSO have a Wii-U and a Chromecast and our TV will be watched via DirectTV. Any movies are watching through my gaming PC's bluray player.

The TV has 4 HDMI inputs plus other connections I won't use. The soundbar has 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out (ARC) and an optical in plus other connections I won't use.

What is the best way to hook everything up? My first thought was to use the 4 HDMI on TV i would hook up: Gaming PC, Wii-U, DirectTV, Chromecast. Then i would just hook up soundbar to TV via optical cable.

My second thought after reading on these forums was I hook up the soundbar via HDMI (ARC) to TV and then the other 3 TV HDMI go to Gaming PC, DirectTV and Wii-U. And then when I want to use Chromecast I swap that with Wii-U.

Or should i do option 2 but do Wii-U through Component hookup and then I don't have to swap anything?

Basically, I want to make sure I am getting the BEST SOUND while watching DirectTV, Gaming PC's and watching Netflix since those 3 will take up the vast majority of usage.

Any guidance or advice is MUCH appreciated Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by andross77 View Post
So I just purchased the new Vizio 60" M series TV and love it! Only had it about a week. Finally decided on speakers (had to downgrade from 7.2 system to soundbar + sub b/c we are in small apartment now and got the Vizio S5430w-C2 3.0 soundbar and the Pinnacle SubSonix 10-200 10-Inch 200 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer (Black).

TV will be used primarily for Netflix watching (through smart tv functions) and gaming PC. I ALSO have a Wii-U and a Chromecast and our TV will be watched via DirectTV. Any movies are watching through my gaming PC's bluray player.

The TV has 4 HDMI inputs plus other connections I won't use. The soundbar has 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out (ARC) and an optical in plus other connections I won't use.

What is the best way to hook everything up? My first thought was to use the 4 HDMI on TV i would hook up: Gaming PC, Wii-U, DirectTV, Chromecast. Then i would just hook up soundbar to TV via optical cable.

My second thought after reading on these forums was I hook up the soundbar via HDMI (ARC) to TV and then the other 3 TV HDMI go to Gaming PC, DirectTV and Wii-U. And then when I want to use Chromecast I swap that with Wii-U.

Or should i do option 2 but do Wii-U through Component hookup and then I don't have to swap anything?

Basically, I want to make sure I am getting the BEST SOUND while watching DirectTV, Gaming PC's and watching Netflix since those 3 will take up the vast majority of usage.

Any guidance or advice is MUCH appreciated Thanks!
I would do option 2 except instead of component why not us the vacant HDMI input on the sound bar for the Wii-U.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
I would do option 2 except instead of component why not us the vacant HDMI input on the sound bar for the Wii-U.
But then there would be no video for playing the Wii-U right? Or are you saying hook Wii-U up via HDMI to the soundbar and then to the TV via component cable? But then i would think i can just hook the Wii-U up to the TV via component because the soundbar is connecting to the TV via HDMI (ARC) so that will work for all components hooked up to the TV.

Or maybe i'm just confused? hehe
post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But then there would be no video for playing the Wii-U right? Or are you saying hook Wii-U up via HDMI to the soundbar and then to the TV via component cable? But then i would think i can just hook the Wii-U up to the TV via component because the soundbar is connecting to the TV via HDMI (ARC) so that will work for all components hooked up to the TV.

Or maybe i'm just confused? hehe
You would have video. The soundbar is connected from HDMI Out (ARC) to HDMI In (ARC) on the TV. This carries any video input to the soundbar out to the TV. The reason you want to use the ARC HDMI is the HDMI In (ARC) on the TV also can carry audio out. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. By using ARC you can sent audio from the TV to the Soundbar even though you are using an HDMI IN on the TV.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=andross77;26786609]

If this is easier than option 2, it should work fine. Some people have experienced problems with HDMI (ARC). I would avoid having to switch connections.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=HDMI Guy;26806249]
Quote:

If this is easier than option 2, it should work fine. Some people have experienced problems with HDMI (ARC). I would avoid having to switch connections.
Thanks for your responses HDMI Guy I should get my speakers tomorrow but I won't get all my other stuff until Wednesday and then close to fully move in by this weekend (Sunday).

So if i'm understanding you correctly you are saying I should hook the Gaming PC, DirectTV and Chromecast into 3 of the HDMI's on the TV. The 4th HDMI slot on the TV should go to the Soundbar (ARC) and then there is one open HDMI in on the soundbar and I should put the Wii-U on that one? And then all i do is switch inputs between the 4 components i want to use and they will all be using the soundbar?

Just want as much clarification as possible before i attempt setting it up but i may have more questions afterwards hehe
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=andross77;26858049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Thanks for your responses HDMI Guy I should get my speakers tomorrow but I won't get all my other stuff until Wednesday and then close to fully move in by this weekend (Sunday).

So if i'm understanding you correctly you are saying I should hook the Gaming PC, DirectTV and Chromecast into 3 of the HDMI's on the TV. The 4th HDMI slot on the TV should go to the Soundbar (ARC) and then there is one open HDMI in on the soundbar and I should put the Wii-U on that one? And then all i do is switch inputs between the 4 components i want to use and they will all be using the soundbar?

Just want as much clarification as possible before i attempt setting it up but i may have more questions afterwards hehe
If the gaming PC is used to play blu-ray I would probably connect the gaming PC to the soundbar and the Wii-U to the TV.

Be aware that some people have experienced problems with HDMI (ARC) connections. If you do not get sound from all the devices connected to the TV you may need to just connect all four devices to the TV and use optical cable to the soundbar. If you can get the HDMI (ARC) to work you may have slightly better audio from the soundbar.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=HDMI Guy;26859561]
Quote:
If the gaming PC is used to play blu-ray I would probably connect the gaming PC to the soundbar and the Wii-U to the TV.

Be aware that some people have experienced problems with HDMI (ARC) connections. If you do not get sound from all the devices connected to the TV you may need to just connect all four devices to the TV and use optical cable to the soundbar. If you can get the HDMI (ARC) to work you may have slightly better audio from the soundbar.
ok sounds good. yes the gaming PC is used to play blu-ray so i'll hook that up to the soundbar. I'm not sure my "common man" ears could distinguish between DD, DD+, dolby, etc sound so if it sounds good and is using the soundbar and subwoofer, i'll leave it as is

thanks again for the help!
Reply Soundbars