Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with Yamaha YAS-101

Hi,

Just got this new Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar to help save space in the room it's in. I have the optical sound cable from the bar to the Yamaha RX - V673

Can't figure out how to set up anything past that. Directions are pretty much nil in the manual. All it tells me is how to set up directly to the the TV or to a DVD-BR player but not to a receiver. I have the main set up on HDMI for the TV. Not sure if that's helpful or not.

HELP?

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post
Hi,

Just got this new Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar to help save space in the room it's in. I have the optical sound cable from the bar to the Yamaha RX - V673

Can't figure out how to set up anything past that. Directions are pretty much nil in the manual. All it tells me is how to set up directly to the the TV or to a DVD-BR player but not to a receiver. I have the main set up on HDMI for the TV. Not sure if that's helpful or not.

HELP?

Thanks,
Richard
That soundbar is intended to replace a receiver and I don't think it can be connected to a receiver. What components are you using? Do you have a cable/satellite box or are you using an antenna?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

That makes no sense to me. My receiver is a Yamaha as well and is the main controller and portal for my other components as well as supplying music to my house.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post
That makes no sense to me. My receiver is a Yamaha as well and is the main controller and portal for my other components as well as supplying music to my house.
I would compare this to connecting two TVs together. Both TVs may have several HDMI inputs but I have never seen a TV with an HDMI out. The soundbar is intended to replace a receiver and speakers. I don't think the soundbar can be used as speakers for the receiver.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Simple question, but are you connecting two optical inputs, receiver input to soundbar input? This won't work obviously. I have no problem running optical out from digital tv receiver to my YAS 101, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for an avr.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
Simple question, but are you connecting two optical inputs, receiver input to soundbar input? This won't work obviously. I have no problem running optical out from digital tv receiver to my YAS 101, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for an avr.
I'm not sure how to tell. There is just one optical hole in the back of the Yamaha receiver that I can see. I'd have to drag back out the entire media table where the equipment is to see what's what. I just assumed that what ever I plugged in would work. This is not my area of expertise. Obviously! lmao

post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
The RX - V673 has no optical outputs! The AV1 and AV4 optical are both inputs.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
The RX - V673 has no optical outputs! The AV1 and AV4 optical are both inputs.
Bingo. This receiver only has analog RCA outputs, and the YAS-101 only has digital inputs. You can get a simple analog to digital converter to do what you want (RCA from receiver to converter, optical from converter to soundbar). Or, just run the sound from the TV to the soundbar for all inputs.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page