VERY strange sound issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
VERY strange sound issue

So I'm one of the many that is affected by raycom , and DirecTV's dispute. I lost my local NBC affiliate so no football tonight. Well that was until I went to Best Buy and bought a $60 HD antenna.

Now I can get my local NBC they come in really clear I'm so happy now. I have my sound running through a sound bar which is connected through the DIRECTV with a toss link cable. When I watch my locals I have to use the speakers on the TV obviously.

Was a real pain to hook up the coaxial cable of the antenna to the back of my plasma because it is mounted on a brick fireplace with a shallow mount. I could hardly fit my hand up in there but I got it.

Here's the weird thing, while I'm waiting for the football game to come on I decided to switch back to DIRECTV. Some of the DirecTV channels come through the TVs speakers and some don't. How is that even possible because I don't have the sound hooked up to the TV speakers for direct TV viewing. Other weird thing is why do some channels have sound and some do not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? Did I post this in the wrong forum?
post #3 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've been messing around with it and have noticed something, I went into my TV audio setting and put it on PCM. I am now able to get sound through the TV on all my DirecTV channels and all of my over the air antenna channels.

I can get sound through the sound bar with all of the over the air antenna channels but no DirecTV channels have sound coming for the sound bar just the tv speakers.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post
I've been messing around with it and have noticed something, I went into my TV audio setting and put it on PCM. I am now able to get sound through the TV on all my DirecTV channels and all of my over the air antenna channels.

I can get sound through the sound bar with all of the over the air antenna channels but no DirecTV channels have sound coming for the sound bar just the tv speakers.
I assume you have the Directv box connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. This would carry both video and audio to the TV so you could get sound from the TV speakers. Some channels sent audio the TV could not decode but when you changed to PCM they all worked.
From here on I am making some assumptions. Both the TV and the soundbar have ARC enabled? Then when the TV received a signal from the antenna it automatically changed the input setting on the soundbar from optical to HDMI. Thus now no sound from the soundbar when watching Directv.
Solution turn off ARC in one or both devices and change the input setting on the soundbar back to HDMI.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 09-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
I assume you have the Directv box connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. This would carry both video and audio to the TV so you could get sound from the TV speakers. Some channels sent audio the TV could not decode but when you changed to PCM they all worked.
From here on I am making some assumptions. Both the TV and the soundbar have ARC enabled? Then when the TV received a signal from the antenna it automatically changed the input setting on the soundbar from optical to HDMI. Thus now no sound from the soundbar when watching Directv.
Solution turn off ARC in one or both devices and change the input setting on the soundbar back to HDMI.

HDMI guy, many thanks for responding to my questions.

Here is my set up;

I have a 4x1 Monoprice HDMI multi switch. Plugged into that is the Directv, Apple TV, and a Blu Ray player. Coming out is 1 (one) HDMI cable which is goes to the #2 HDMI IN (ARC) of the Panasonic VT60. For the audio, I have a tosslink cable going OUT of the 4X1 HDMI switch and IN to the Klipsch sound bar.

*note* the soundbar does NOT have any settings at all. Just a "3d" audio mode. It has a power cable and a tosslink connection, no other settings.

That's how everything has been for the past year and it has worked great. Now Directv and Raycom media which owns my local NBC are in a dispute. Directv has dropped my local NBC for the time being. So, I went and bought a over the air HD antenna to pick up my local NBC. Obviously, the coax end of the antenna was connected to the antenna port on the back of the tv. Right away I was able to get picture and sound (through the tv AND the sound bar for the over the air HD channels)

I switched back to Directv (while still having the antenna coax connected and NO SOUND on directv channels coming through the sound bar with EXCEPTION of a few. The one I remember having sound was Nick JR (last channel kids were watching). When I changed to ESPN, NFL Network, Food Network, HBO, etc. no sound through sound bar or even the TV. (maybe Nick JR had sound through the soundbar because it's not broadcast in Dolby and was before I turned PCM to ON?)

I went in to my TV audio settings and turned PCM to ON. I then went into the Directv audio settings and turned Dolby Digital sound to OFF. Now I have sound on all Directv channels coming out of the TV. However, no sound coming out of the soundbar for Directv, just the over the air antenna channels.

Does that sound like everything is like it's supposed to be? I guess I can live with this for the time being until the dispute is settled. But, it kind of sucks not being able to have HBO, Stars, Showtime, etc. come through the sound bar though. Only if I disconnect the coax of the HD antenna. The problem with that is I have the tv mounted on a shallow mount over the fireplace and it SUCKED getting that coax antenna connected. Hand doesn't even fit back there. Not sure how I got it connected in the first place, very lucky I guess.

What do you think after reading my set up and explanation?

Last edited by nygiant75; 09-05-2014 at 06:53 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HDMI guy, many thanks for responding to my questions.

Here is my set up;

I have a 4x1 Monoprice HDMI multi switch. Plugged into that is the Directv, Apple TV, and a Blu Ray player. Coming out is 1 (one) HDMI cable which is goes to the #2 HDMI IN (ARC) of the Panasonic VT60. For the audio, I have a tosslink cable going OUT of the 4X1 HDMI switch and IN to the Klipsch sound bar.

*note* the soundbar does NOT have any settings at all. Just a "3d" audio mode. It has a power cable and a tosslink connection, no other settings.

That's how everything has been for the past year and it has worked great. Now Directv and Raycom media which owns my local NBC are in a dispute. Directv has dropped my local NBC for the time being. So, I went and bought a over the air HD antenna to pick up my local NBC. Obviously, the coax end of the antenna was connected to the antenna port on the back of the tv. Right away I was able to get picture and sound (through the tv AND the sound bar for the over the air HD channels)

I switched back to Directv (while still having the antenna coax connected and NO SOUND on directv channels coming through the sound bar with EXCEPTION of a few. The one I remember having sound was Nick JR (last channel kids were watching). When I changed to ESPN, NFL Network, Food Network, HBO, etc. no sound through sound bar or even the TV. (maybe Nick JR had sound through the soundbar because it's not broadcast in Dolby and was before I turned PCM to ON?)

I went in to my TV audio settings and turned PCM to ON. I then went into the Directv audio settings and turned Dolby Digital sound to OFF. Now I have sound on all Directv channels coming out of the TV. However, no sound coming out of the soundbar for Directv, just the over the air antenna channels.

Does that sound like everything is like it's supposed to be? I guess I can live with this for the time being until the dispute is settled. But, it kind of sucks not being able to have HBO, Stars, Showtime, etc. come through the sound bar though. Only if I disconnect the coax of the HD antenna. The problem with that is I have the tv mounted on a shallow mount over the fireplace and it SUCKED getting that coax antenna connected. Hand doesn't even fit back there. Not sure how I got it connected in the first place, very lucky I guess.

What do you think after reading my set up and explanation?
I understand your setup, however I am confused on a solution to the problem. It almost appears the multi-switch is now stuck on the HDMI (ARC) from the TV for its optical out. Perhaps you could disable ARC on the TV and see what happens.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

When you turn off ARC in the TV. Then go into the Directv audio settings and turn Dolby Digital sound to ON.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I understand your setup, however I am confused on a solution to the problem. It almost appears the multi-switch is now stuck on the HDMI (ARC) from the TV for its optical out. Perhaps you could disable ARC on the TV and see what happens.

Well, I have the option of disabling ARC on the multi switch but that didn't fix the issue of the directv no longer playing sound through the sound bar.

I don't think there is an option for turning ARC off on the tv though. I went through all of the audio settings and didn't see the option. It's a 2013 Panasonic VT60 if you have any idea if ARC can be turned on or off on that tv model.

I'm wondering if I removed the HDMI from the #2 ARC enabled port on the tv and plugged it into 1. I think I could get the directv sound through the sound bar again. However, I bet by doing that the over the air channels would now be TV speakers only. That's actually fine though.

I no longer use the TV as a source for apps, I use my Blu Ray player now. That's the only reason I use ARC was to get the tv apps to produce sound through the sound bar.

I did notice that if I switch the HDMI to #1 on the tv I have to set all the color options up again which is a pain because there are about 25. That's might be a solution though until the dispute is resolved.

Last edited by nygiant75; 09-05-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have input? Or do I just need to live with this temporarily?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Are the Apple Tv and blu-ray player also unable to play through the soundbar?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You know I am not sure I don't think I have used either one since I plugged the antenna up right before the football game started yesterday. I'll have to check later and I will post back.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I just got home and decide it to try out the Apple TV and the Blu-ray and neither one of them had sound coming through the sound bar.

I just must have been tired and stressed out last night because I did not even try this. I turned on the ARC on the Monoprice multi-switch and now I got sound through the sound bar from the DIRECTV, the AppleTV, and the Blu-ray. Man I'm excited now!

For posting and recommending that it had something to do with the ARC. Just got to thinking and I cannot believe I did not try that last night.

I guess why I did not try it is before the HD antenna was hooked up last night, the ARC has to be off on the Mono price multi-switch or I do not get sound through the sound bar. Now that the antenna is hooked up it's the exact opposite. I guess now that it works I should be fine but I'm still one of those people that wonder why it's like that now.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess why I did not try it is before the HD antenna was hooked up last night, the ARC has to be off on the Mono price multi-switch or I do not get sound through the sound bar. Now that the antenna is hooked up it's the exact opposite. I guess now that it works I should be fine but I'm still one of those people that wonder why it's like that now.
I agree, this is puzzling. It appears the multi-switch is stuck with the HDMI (ARC) as its only input for its optical out. My guess would be if you turn off the TV you will have no sound from the sound bar from any device even while they are operating, because all the audio is going to the TV, the TV is processing the audio and then it is returning to the multi-switch by way of HDMI (ARC). This is just my best guess.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page