Entry-level soundbar, turntable for parents, <$250? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-24-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Entry-level soundbar, turntable for parents, <$250?

Hi gang. First time posting here but wow! What a wealth of knowledge to search through.

My wife and I are exploring an idea for a Christmas gift for her parents. They currently do not have any home audio set up with their very nice LED tv. However, what they do have is an embarrassingly-large (and quite honestly, AWESOME) record collection and nothing at all to play it on. I know that they'd love to because they keep them on the shelves around the TV in the living room. It's a shame to deny them something that they've loved for decades.

I'm basically looking for suggestions because I know very little about home audio and even less about turntables. Our idea was to try and find some way to accomplish a few goals:

1) Allow them to play their old records that won't ruin them.
2) Get them a home audio setup to run tv/movies/music through.
3) Satisfy the mother-in-law and either keep everything hidden as much as possible or find an attractive solution. (Preferably a wireless solution)
4) Keep the cost around $250. I know that's low but that's the most that everyone can commit to pooling this year. We can't spend more but I won't spend less; I want as much as I can squeeze out of that $250.

A few quick things to keep in mind: my in-laws are the anti-audiophiles, which helps. Quality is not the main goal for them. If we can give them something to listen to their records through AND make TV/movies more enjoyable, they'll be happy. However, none of that will matter to them if they have to see wires or speakers on the shelf. Soundbars are not out of the question as long as you cannot see an actual speaker head.

Also, the only exiting gear to accommodate for is their DirectTV DVR, which I'm thinking would run through the TV first with audio from the TV going to the soundbar. Then the turntable would input through an aux in. I don't know if I'd need any additional gear, like a head unit, to run everything through so I'm hoping you can guide me on this.

Thanks all!
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page