Vizio Sound Bar Issue - Model #S3851 w-D4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 17 Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio Sound Bar Issue - Model #S3851 w-D4

I have tried everything to make this work yet it refuses to. I didn't realize that the DD & DTS logo only showed up with a optical cable connected. I tried 2 different HDMI switch boxes that support optical out. I am using a Roku box and a Sony branded bluray player. All I get is virtual surround sound which is not optimal for such a high end product that claims to do something it will not do. Does this particular model not really support true surround sound as it claims along with the review sites I came across? I tried to register it on Vizio's website but they do not have it on the list of supported\registrable products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmur View Post
I have tried everything to make this work yet it refuses to. I didn't realize that the DD & DTS logo only showed up with a optical cable connected. I tried 2 different HDMI switch boxes that support optical out. I am using a Roku box and a Sony branded bluray player. All I get is virtual surround sound which is not optimal for such a high end product that claims to do something it will not do. Does this particular model not really support true surround sound as it claims along with the review sites I came across? I tried to register it on Vizio's website but they do not have it on the list of supported\registrable products.
If you have the correct outputs on the Roku and Blu-ray player connect one directly to the soundbar with a digital optical cable and the other with a digital coaxial cable. See page 8 of your quick start guide. If you go through a TV or HDMI switch to the soundbar you will likely only get virtual surround sound as you indicated.
post #3 of 17 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

The Roku player is a newer model without the optical output and my bluray player has only a digital connection. Seems all bluray players of the last couple years only support digital output. My tv only has the digital output as well. I may have to send this thing back and buy a real sound system. I thought this would be a easy thing to say up and make work. I didn't realize how complicated they are in terms of proper setup.
post #4 of 17 Unread Yesterday, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering about something. Would getting a cheap audio receiver be a better solution than a HDMI switcher?
post #5 of 17 Unread Yesterday, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For about $299 you can get something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT370-.../dp/B00IWQREE4
You might look at the other soundbar threads for other choices as well.
post #6 of 17 Unread Yesterday, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ironically enough I was looking at that very model when I saw the Vizio unit. I don't have the ideal room type though for a 2.1 sound bar. From what I understand they require flat walls and the like to bounce sound off of.
post #7 of 17 Unread Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
... bluray player has only a digital connection. Seems all bluray players of the last couple years only support digital output.
Which Sony bluray player are you using? I have an s590 Sony player from 2012 connected directly to the 42" Vizio 5.1 via coaxial cable. I am receiving DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. A quick check of several newer Sony players confirmed they also have digital out coaxial ports as well.
post #8 of 17 Unread Yesterday, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 2013 model. It's the Sony BDP-S3100 and it's a great unit.
post #9 of 17 Unread Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I have a 2013 model. It's the Sony BDP-S3100 and it's a great unit.
That model offers coaxial connection. I assume your Vizio is similar to mine in that it offers two digital connections - coaxial digital (digital 3 input) and toslink (optical 4 input) - both of which can give you actual 5.1 when hooked up directly. If you are using your TV as the switcher, with just the optical chord connected, chances are your signal is being dumbed down to 2.1. That is why HDMI Guy suggested in an earlier post that you hook up your Sony and Roku directly to your Vizio. Don't know anything about the Roku, but you certainly will receive actual DD or DTS 5.1 from your Sony with either the coaxial digital or optial connection. Thankfully Vizio included both with the soundbar.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 17 Unread Today, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I have tried that with the coaxial and the logos do NOT show up on the Vizio remote. I just played around with the different audio settings for the bluray player and nothing. Either this Sony model does nto really output surround sound through coaxial or the low end Vizio unit really does not support anything but simulated surround sound. What settings do you use for coaxial output?
post #11 of 17 Unread Today, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I have tried that with the coaxial and the logos do NOT show up on the Vizio remote. I just played around with the different audio settings for the bluray player and nothing. Either this Sony model does nto really output surround sound through coaxial or the low end Vizio unit really does not support anything but simulated surround sound. What settings do you use for coaxial output?
Hi Killmur, the DD or DTS logos do not appear on my Vizio remote. They do appear on the soundbar itself momentarily, on the bottom left near the white dots.

The only setting I changed on the Sony was from PCM to Bitstream. Otherwise, I simply connected the coaxial cable (provided with the Vizio) from the Sony coaxial out to the Vizio coaxial in.
post #12 of 17 Unread Today, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I got fixed, scrope. However if I set it to auto for PCM I get no rare audio. If I set it to PCM then the logo does not show up on the unit itself. So much trouble to make things work right.
post #13 of 17 Unread Today, 01:34 PM

For true surround sound you will want to set your Sony player to bitstream.
post #14 of 17 Unread Today, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well this particular model doesn't support bitstream at all. Just Auto and PCM. I guess I shouldn't be so surpised though since it's on the lower end of the spectrum in their 2013 lineup. The rear surround does work but barely. Auto makes the logos light up though. I will say that I know now my HDTV doesn't have true pass through with the coaxial digital.

Edit: I checked and it appears all of the 2014 models don't support bitstream either. I wonder if this setting was phased out of all bluray players.

Last edited by Killmur; Today at 02:16 PM.
post #15 of 17 Unread Today, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my! I think I fixed it. I hooked up the digital cable straight from my tv to the sound system and switched it from PCM to Raw and out on Demolition Man. Sounds so much better. Now to test my other movies and the Roku box.
post #16 of 17 Unread Today, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Well I think I got fixed, scrope. However if I set it to auto for PCM I get no rare audio. If I set it to PCM then the logo does not show up on the unit itself. So much trouble to make things work right.
Welcome to the real world of DD5.1 or DTS. With true 5.1 the rear speakers rarely produce much sound. Simulated 5.1 kicks a lot of sound out the rears, but it is not what the movie's director intended. i'll get off my Soapbox now.
post #17 of 17 Unread Today, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I got it so far however feels like there's way too much adjustment involved with the speaker settings and I am not sure if Raw is actually as ideal as Bitstream.
Reply Soundbars
Gear in this thread - Online Deals at PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page